• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November Comiclink Auction Thread
2 2

88 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2020 at 3:19 PM, grapeape said:

They told Rob Liefeld that once and he simply refused to draw feet.

?attachment_id=1131462

It's not that artists don't like to draw feet, it's that in order to get the characters at eye level, you either have to do one of 2 things, either make the characters on the page much smaller, which would be a less dramatic shot or make them bigger and cut off the feet. Comic artists go for the latter

7 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

you either have to do one of 2 things, either make the characters on the page much smaller, which would be a less dramatic shot or make them bigger and cut off the feet. Comic artists go for the latter

False choice re: "one of 2 things", clearly the third is Cloud of Dust lol

10 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

It's not that artists don't like to draw feet, it's that in order to get the characters at eye level, you either have to do one of 2 things, either make the characters on the page much smaller, which would be a less dramatic shot or make them bigger and cut off the feet. Comic artists go for the latter

I've never understood how people get fixated on Robs feet, or lack of feet. It was just a stylistic trope that so many artists have used both in the past and to this day. I totally get not liking an artist and/or his style, but the feet thing is a lazy critique.

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

I've never understood how people get fixated on Robs feet, or lack of feet. It was just a stylistic trope that so many artists have used both in the past and to this day. I totally get not liking an artist and/or his style, but the feet thing is a lazy critique.

Its just the first one that comes to mind, or the one that caught on.   There's a website out there that critiques 50 of his drawings that gives some on-point ribbing about each of them.     The captain america with the 8 foot wide chest and such.   I think that:

1. Some if not all of the criticism is warranted

2. He's become a lightning rod for criticism of the whole era

3. He can draw a heck of a lot better than I can.

8 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

I don't either, I really couldn't care a less if there are feet or no feet. 

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

So yeah. The BWS Weapon X splash/cover goes 177k. I miiiiiiight be wrong, but I believe that's a record for any single  BWS image. I could see the cover to Conan 24 or perhaps the Conan Treasury cover sniffing these numbers, but no matter how you slice it, it's an impressive (but not entirely surprising) number.

Was a strong sale....cover to Conan 24 would exceed...

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

Exceptional Shout Out

Francesco Mattina for the outlandish, creative and disturbing work on Dark Knight Metal 3 $11,312  That may have been the sickest coolest work of art on display today! Kudos!!(worship)

$11k

In my day, fish hooks were given out free daily at summer camp!

2 hours ago, MagnusX said:

The surprise for me was Mark Bagley:
Spiderman # 25 Cover $ 9,900
New Warriors # 4 Cover $ 8,700

As the owner of a different (yet shockingly similar) New Warriors cover who held out hopes of acquiring another, let's just say that last night's price was discouraging.

2 hours ago, MagnusX said:

The surprise for me was Mark Bagley:
Spiderman # 25 Cover $ 9,900
New Warriors # 4 Cover $ 8,700

The Bagley Spiderman 25 cover sold on HA nearly 3 years ago for $9K.  Assuming its the same owner, the $9.9K sale on Clink is just about breakeven after he pays the 10% consignors fee.  So, not really a good result.

The New Warriors covers have seen significant demand spike over the past 3 or 4 years.  The last time I saw covers below #10, they sold for slightly above $5K so this is a pretty good result, even after the 10% consignors fee is taken into consideration.

If only someone had some Bagley Ultimate Fallout #4 pages at auction...man, those results would be shocking! :headbang: