• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLINK v HA?
3 3

42 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, mackenzie999 said:

Is there any time of year that produces better or worse results on CLink? For example, maybe the holiday season is slow because people are committing their money to other things (just a guess).

Just do it before the pandemic is over  and people have other things to do than stare at a computer.

On 9/17/2020 at 8:42 PM, mycomicshop said:

Auction with us: 8% commission

Or if you’d like to control your sale price, BIN consignment with us, 10% commission on first $300 and 8% on any amount past $300

If the books you’re selling aren’t especially rare, you’ll usually be able to do ~5-10% better with BIN than auction. But if you just want to get everything sold immediately, then yeah, auction.

Mycomicshop is where I have my books on auction right now.

1st option - list the bigger books here using current GPA and save yourself the commission fees. Lots of deep pockets here.

2nd option - consign them at MyComicShop using current GPA. You will have to pay a commission but if the books are priced right they should sell fast.

3rd option - auction them at Comiclink. Books are guaranteed to sell but unless the comics are hard to find in their current grade you are probably going to get very close to current GPA or under (and still have to pay commission).

If someone sells their books on Comiclink, or My comic shop ets or consigns them for 10% fees, how does that compare will selling on the boards? I’ve always understood selling here to be more clubby, meaning lower prices to friends as opposed to at full retail or higher as you might price them in the wild.  But over time, that friendly atmosphere apparently changed for many sellers right?  So Today, 2020, is selling them here netting you more of less than 90% retail? 

36 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

If someone sells their books on Comiclink, or My comic shop ets or consigns them for 10% fees, how does that compare will selling on the boards? I’ve always understood selling here to be more clubby, meaning lower prices to friends as opposed to at full retail or higher as you might price them in the wild.  But over time, that friendly atmosphere apparently changed for many sellers right?  So Today, 2020, is selling them here netting you more of less than 90% retail? 

I think with the price point of the comics mentioned a seller would be in the 8% consignment bracket. This also includes PayPal fees so, if that is how a seller would want payment here, the difference is probably more like 5%. And you would also be saving the cost of shipping the comic to the consignor in the first place.

That being said, some comics can be a tough sell here as the boards represent a relatively small group of collectors with specific tastes. An auction house brings a comic to a far larger number of potential buyers.

I would still offer it here first though. How hard is it to take a pic and post?

5 hours ago, mackenzie999 said:

Is there any time of year that produces better or worse results on CLink? For example, maybe the holiday season is slow because people are committing their money to other things (just a guess).

That’s true. I’m not sure if this will be the case this year.

32 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I think with the price point of the comics mentioned a seller would be in the 8% consignment bracket. This also includes PayPal fees so, if that is how a seller would want payment here, the difference is probably more like 5%. And you would also be saving the cost of shipping the comic to the consignor in the first place.

That being said, some comics can be a tough sell here as the boards represent a relatively small group of collectors with specific tastes. An auction house brings a comic to a far larger number of potential buyers.

I would still offer it here first though. How hard is it to take a pic and post?

that and figure in sales tax that the seller would have to be willing to pay via mcs or ebay, that they wouldn't here...... on the boards....

Some online stores don't charges sales tax, ebay of course does, but mcs does for me: either because they charge everyone or because I'm also in Texas and it's the same state sale :foryou: 

8 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

My overall question is along these lines:  if a books sells lately at say 1200 on GPA, or lets say 1200 is a fair price based on rolling GPA (not latest one off high priced outlier) what price do buyers expect that book to be listed for here to sell quickly (eliminating the fishing expeditions hoping for a sucker).    and as a followup, how much of a discount do buyers PM ask for off whatever the list price is?  At the end of the day, do sellers here net the same 90% as they would after giving up 10% as on other venues?  And do sellers here on the boards charge a quoted shipping/handling to the buyer?  Ive always been curious where the boards really fit in as a seller friendly venue to sell...

10 hours ago, Aman619 said:

The reason I would prefer (and have) my books at mycomicshop rather than here is because I don't want the hassle of shipping. Especially from Canada, which could be pricey and a dealbreaker to some who don't want to deal with cross boarder stuff. So by sending all my inventory to mycomicshop, all that is circumvented. Plus I dont want to have to deal with returns.

8% comission sounds like a great deal to only send to one place once and not have to do more.

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

My overall question is along these lines:  if a books sells lately at say 1200 on GPA, or lets say 1200 is a fair price based on rolling GPA (not latest one off high priced outlier) what price do buyers expect that book to be listed for here to sell quickly (eliminating the fishing expeditions hoping for a sucker).    and as a followup, how much of a discount do buyers PM ask for off whatever the list price is?  At the end of the day, do sellers here net the same 90% as they would after giving up 10% as on other venues?  And do sellers here on the boards charge a quoted shipping/handling to the buyer?  Ive always been curious where the boards really fit in as a seller friendly venue to sell...

Depends on the comics you're selling and/or your reputation as a board seller. If you are selling hot/key comics you should have no problem finding a buyer at your asking price, saving the commission. If you're selling something few buyers here seem to want - high grade DC Silver Age non-key comics, for example - you may have to start discounting or sell them elsewhere.

And if you ever achieve the gold star selling rep of some  boardies you can just run annual sales where people post multiple takes for every comic posted with barely a glimpse at the asking price!

Bottom line is the boards are a great place to sell if you have the right comics at the right price. 

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

The reason I would prefer (and have) my books at mycomicshop rather than here is because I don't want the hassle of shipping. Especially from Canada, which could be pricey and a dealbreaker to some who don't want to deal with cross boarder stuff. So by sending all my inventory to mycomicshop, all that is circumvented. Plus I dont want to have to deal with returns.

8% comission sounds like a great deal to only send to one place once and not have to do more.

its not that hard. esp for one book, and a 6 or 7k book at that. some bubble wrap, cardboaard and a fedex large box and you're good to go. get paid immediately. as i said, no brainer. and as someone with almost no brain, i should know. 

HA - 20% Buyer's Premium plus Seller's fee. The bidders can decide to keep bidding until the total of amount included Buyer's Premium.  If the bidder is trying to meet the average price within the current market value, the book is sold for $4620. HA keeps $770 Buyer's Premium and $385 Seller's fee that leaves $3465 for the seller.  You can see the bids until you decide to bid or not.

Clink keeps only 10%. You won't know the bidder's secret bid until the time is expired. Sometimes, the price can be exploded. Sometimes, it gets less.  I got DC Comics Presents #47 CGC 9.8 from Clink for only $547. Next month, other DCCP #47 CGC 9.8 was sold for $815. You may never know until the end.

Mycomicshop has great options.

You pay nothing out of pocket, only a commission when your item sells:

Auction

8% commission
Commission capped at $1000
Minimum commission $5 for slabbed comics
Minimum commission $7 for unslabbed comics, art, and non-comic items

Buy It Now

10% commission on sales up to $300, 8% on portion beyond $300
Commission capped at $1000
Minimum commission $5 for slabbed comics
Minimum commission $7 for unslabbed comics, art, and non-comic items

If someone bids your book under 3 minutes, it will extend to other 3 minutes. Other bid will repeat the extended time until the bidder stops to bid.

Now, you can see pros and cons here.  Good luck on your house hunting!