• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM 1950's horror comic
2 2

27 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, gadzukes said:

A 5.0? :whatthe:

Did the spine split in the mail?

His grading is actually maliciously bad.

7.0 on that Disney comic is outrageous too.

Maybe we all need to buy some cheap comics from him just to load him up with some Neg feedbacks.

His name is coming up WAY too much on the boards.

And somewhat ironically, he's proving that CGC provides a valuable service... 

12 hours ago, rjpb said:

I'd send the MDA back, It's a 1.0,1.5 at best if you accept that grade for a completely split spine. The book isn't that scarce, and there's a nice looking VG on ebay at a fair price with a BO option.

Neither book shown looks anywhere near the grade advertised, even without spine splits. the WDCS acceptably a 5.0 at best, and the MDA 3.5 tops, just based on pictures. The seller clearly doesn't know how to grade, or does and just figures he won't get hurt by seriously overgrading if the book looks like the picture, the problem being it doesn't even come close with the MDA. It's possible the spine was really weak and sheared in shipping, I just bought a book from a reputable seller that didn't appear to have a split in the pictures, which included an inside shot of the cover, but arrived split to the bottom staple. I wasn't happy, but as the book was maybe a 3.0 to start with, I could live with it being more like a 2.0 for the price, and will keep it. That's my general philosophy, if I still would have purchased a book for the same price after receiving it, I don't leave neg or neutral feedback, I just don't leave any at all, and try to remember who overgrades. There are sellers on ebay that routinely overgrade that I will still purchase from, but I just assume the book is 3 grades less than advertised (usually evident from the pix), and bit accordingly. Judging the prices such sellers get, I'm not the only one, as their stuff rarely sells for the FMV of the advertised grade.

I got the MDA for around $30. Obviously, a steal if it came as graded. It has very nice paper and looks decent in the bag. I can live with it as a filler until I can get a nice one. 

The WDCS I could tell the grade by the photos and there were no hidden surprises and I bid accordingly. I think I paid $12. For a solid reader which is all I wanted. 

All 3 books that I got were just readers and low dollar books. They wern’t (other than the MDA) books I need high grade copies of. None are worth my time sending back. 

I pick up a lot of lower grade readers on eBay. Books, I just find interesting and to try out. If I really like them, I go after higher grade copies later. My track record has been real bad in the past year though. When books arrive like this or even worse, pages out, centerfolds missing or in one case full of black mold! They always go back. I’m through rolling the dice. I now buy only from very reputable sellers and pay a little more. 

Many would say, buy graded copies. Good advice but shouldn’t be necessary on books like these. Besides, I buy them to read. If I want higher grade stuff or especially expensive books which I often do, I always buy them graded. 

He seemed pretty legit and then that thread broke the day I received these. These books deserve proper feedback and it will be left. 

As an occasional seller, I have screwed up a few times. My response has always been one of embarrassment and an apology as well as making it right to the buyer’s satisfaction. It has always been my policy. Anyone who does not do this for me gets slammed. There is no excuse. At the end of the day, your rep is everything. This kid needs to learn this. 

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I got the MDA for around $30. Obviously, a steal if it came as graded. It has very nice paper and looks decent in the bag. I can live with it as a filler until I can get a nice one. 

The WDCS I could tell the grade by the photos and there were no hidden surprises and I bid accordingly. I think I paid $12. For a solid reader which is all I wanted. 

All 3 books that I got were just readers and low dollar books. They wern’t (other than the MDA) books I need high grade copies of. None are worth my time sending back. 

I pick up a lot of lower grade readers on eBay. Books, I just find interesting and to try out. If I really like them, I go after higher grade copies later. My track record has been real bad in the past year though. When books arrive like this or even worse, pages out, centerfolds missing or in one case full of black mold! They always go back. I’m through rolling the dice. I now buy only from very reputable sellers and pay a little more. 

Many would say, buy graded copies. Good advice but shouldn’t be necessary on books like these. Besides, I buy them to read. If I want higher grade stuff or especially expensive books which I often do, I always buy them graded. 

He seemed pretty legit and then that thread broke the day I received these. These books deserve proper feedback and it will be left. 

As an occasional seller, I have screwed up a few times. My response has always been one of embarrassment and an apology as well as making it right to the buyer’s satisfaction. It has always been my policy. Anyone who does not do this for me gets slammed. There is no excuse. At the end of the day, your rep is everything. This kid needs to learn this. 

Yeah, a quick perusal of his feedback indicates that while small as a percentage of transactions, he gets routinely negged for overgrading. I tend to check the FB of anyone under 100% to see if there is a pattern of shoddy practices or if it's a couple of people complaining about shipping time or a refund for something that ended up being unavailable. 

I buy around 100 raw GA a year on ebay, for me the bad luck seems to come in batches. Overall my dissatisfaction rate based on expectations whether returned, partially refunded, or keep it anyway for the price is less than 10%, but in the spring of last year there was two month period where I had to return about a 1/3 of my purchases for undisclosed restoration or clipped or missing pages (a couple were just refunded without return as they were cheap to begin with). 

I agree there is little point in buying graded copies of low value books (<$100), unless they sell for the same price as raw. Unless you really like your lower grade readers slabbed, you'll end up paying a premium that outweighs the cost of risk.

Yeah, I’m at probably 40% in the past year and rising. A disturbing trend. I carefully check the seller. No returns, “I’m not a professional grader” (how many of us are?) and “grade by the pictures” are always closed fast and I move along quickly. I NEVER bid emotionally or think I am going to get something better than what is presented. 

There are many honest and accurate sellers there. Blizzard and Comics for Less come to mind. I usually pay a little more but you get what you pay for. 

This has been a tough year for buying comics. I’d much prefer buying at cons, flea markets and estate sales but there aren’t any. So stuck with eBay and of course these boards. I have NEVER been anything but happy with the fine folks right here. 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Well said, Robot Man...