• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your advice after buying a comic with a faulty case if seller didn't mention it?

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I purchased my first CGC encased comic: Ms. Marvel (2014) #1 seen below. It has a missing chunk on the side, due to maybe heat, damage, bubbling or something else, I couldn't tell you. What is the usual thing for the buyer to do in this situation if it wasn't disclosed in the listing?

It's an inexpensive book and I have zero intention of selling or speculating on comics. I just wanted Kamala's #1 for my shelf. 

Thanks very much.

CGC Case.jpg

2 minutes ago, JoeGuy said:
7 minutes ago, Gaard said:

That's not the injection spot?

Would you mind telling me what that is? If it's a natural defect from casting that would be great. 

It is, there have been like 3 generations of slabs, this being the most recent, it's called a sonic weld...... :foryou: 

But Hopefully this fixes your weekend and you can live it up a bit cause it's it's :tink: 

tumblr_mjp12nRQQJ1s86ybho1_500.gif

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It is, there have been like 3 generations of slabs, this being the most recent, it's called a sonic weld...... :foryou: 

Thank you very much. I really didn't want to track down a new copy or bother the seller with a return. 

33 minutes ago, thegiftedone45 said:

Return the item or if you still want to keep it leave a bad review. 

Usually if you have an issue with the item, you should contact the seller first to see what they can do to remedy the situation.  Jumping to "leave a bad review" is a bit of a faux pas.

8 minutes ago, JoeGuy said:
20 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thank you very much. I really didn't want to track down a new copy or bother the seller with a return. 

Sure no problem, if you don't know then you don't know, at least you asked before giving the seller feedback.

Here are some pics of my recent purchase, it's the same and its normal

IMG_20200918_131045199.jpg

IMG_20200918_131050331.jpg

5 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Am I the only one who doesnt give a flipin flap about case condition? As long as it's still structurally intact I dont care. 

LIke if there was a big scratch down the back, and they had only posted a front picture, I'd shrug and move on... 

If only all buyers felt that way lol not saying they "should", but if I buy one that shows up that way as structurally unsound, then I tell the seller just because it makes resell harder. That day "may come" and whenever it is, to be prepared instead of last minute scrambling is always on my mind (thumbsu that and I don't want to end up thinking that it was "due to my storage!"

But it has to be major.

THE Scuffing I've got or "dirty looking" cases, that I don't blink twice at. I guess I should have lol but like you if it is "structurally intact" then there is no cause to tell the seller :shy: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If only all buyers felt that way lol not saying they "should", but if I buy one that shows up that way as structurally unsound, then I tell the seller just because it makes resell harder. That day "may come" and whenever it is, to be prepared instead of last minute scrambling is always on my mind (thumbsu that and I don't want to end up thinking that it was "due to my storage!"

But it has to be major.

THE Scuffing I've got or "dirty looking" cases, that I don't blink twice at. I guess I should have lol but like you if it is "structurally intact" then there is no cause to tell the seller :shy: 

And there is always the extra shipping that can cause damage etc. or some slabs are hard to crack. I feel reholdering is a personal choice and not to be done just on a whim

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

But it has to be major.

at most I might leave him a note (not in feedback, just a note) saying that he should probably photo or mention this type of case damage cause other buyers care. 

More cautionary so the next buyer (who has more particular needs) doesnt get disappointed. 

4 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

at most I might leave him a note (not in feedback, just a note) saying that he should probably photo or mention this type of case damage cause other buyers care. 

More cautionary so the next buyer (who has more particular needs) doesnt get disappointed. 

yes! Better safe than sorry, no one likes a charge back, but I'd want to still give good customer service too :) 

Otherwise it's just a slippery slope, I mean, scratches "can be reported", but if there was nefarious intent or just wanted partial refund etc. 

I mean "I" don't want to be like that, but pics and a good description are always a plus to being an honest seller!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I just bought a $500 book and the post snapped and is floating around inside the slab.    In this case I am sure it happened in transit given the shape the box was in when it arrived. 

Want to know what I did?  Here are my exact words... 

...they must have beat the hell out of the package as the box was a bit mangled and a post was broken and is floating around the slab.  Nothing to cry about...  book is all good and the slab is crack free which is what counts.  It could have been worse, so thanks for packing it well.  

She's a beaut. 

Many thanks !

And I left him positive feedback. 

Edited by Buzzetta

10 hours ago, JoeGuy said:

Hi everyone.

I purchased my first CGC encased comic: Ms. Marvel (2014) #1 seen below. It has a missing chunk on the side, due to maybe heat, damage, bubbling or something else, I couldn't tell you. What is the usual thing for the buyer to do in this situation if it wasn't disclosed in the listing?

It's an inexpensive book and I have zero intention of selling or speculating on comics. I just wanted Kamala's #1 for my shelf. 

Thanks very much.

CGC Case.jpg

This doesn't look like a faulty case, it's just the spot where the plastic comes out of the mold, hence why all cgc holders look uneven on the sides.  That's why nothing was mentioned, it's not a faulty case.

On 9/18/2020 at 3:07 PM, miraclemet said:

Am I the only one who doesnt give a flipin flap about case condition? As long as it's still structurally intact I dont care. 

LIke if there was a big scratch down the back, and they had only posted a front picture, I'd shrug and move on... 

Nope,  I "usually" don't care unless it's a pretty bad case defect..i.e. big chunks of case missing , a bunch of cracks..etc