• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dragon-Con - Atlanta - Labor Day Weekend

9 posts in this topic

I just got back from my first Dragon-con and it was a horrible experience. I got there at 2pm and had to wait 3 hours in line to get my ticket. There were thousands of people waiting and only three cashiers. One for cash and two for credit. By time that I got to the Dealers room. There was less than 2 hours to look around. Dragon con doesn't have pre-registration for single day tickets nor do they let you by single day tickets in advance at the show. So, I couldn't buy a ticket for tomorrow and come back when I had more time.

When I got through with my short time on the dealer's floor, I went in search of a manager to complain to. He really didn't care. One gets the impression that once Dragon-con gets paid, they're done with you.

I am posting this to a couple different forums asking people to stay away from dragon-con. My experience and that of a lot of other people's was as negative as the attitude of the organizers.

Thanks,

camera

Man, that sucks. DragonCon used to be a very solid comic show, but it has fallen off considerably in the past several years. The dealer room last year was deplorable - it was just sad (there were about 10 comic dealers present). I'm heading there tommorow morning (in hopes maybe something has changed), but I am saddened by your experience.

Atlanta is primed for a large (Wizard-style) con. I really hope Wizard reconsiders going there in the future (at not at a time that would compete directly with another relatively local con, Heroes Con). - Keith

Wow, I just got back from DragonCon, and you were absolutely right Camera. It took me almost an hour to register (on a Sunday afternoon) and there were 7 comic dealers there. The artist's area was nice (Eric Powell, Frank Brunner, Tim Bradstreet, Paul Gulacy), and in my opinion, was its only saving grace. It is sadly come to pass that DragonCon should no longer thought of as a comic book convention and was seen for what it has evolved into, a fantasy/gaming convention. I for one miss what once was formerly a great convention and I hope another could replace it in the Atlanta/Birmingham/Nashville area. - Keith

Thanks for the responses. I feel better knowing that others have seen or heard similar things. Well, there's always Wizard-Atlanta 2006 and the small cons that happen regularly at the Marriot in Century Plaza. Those are worth checking out.