• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a tell tale way to spot a fake BATMAN 1 from1940

30 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2020 at 12:53 PM, telerites said:

Another clue that this is a reprint is the DC publication indica is more to the left on the original but on the reprint, it is more centered right under the left part of the cape like your copy.  Below is the real thing (not mine but I wish).  See the difference of the indica position and the red building is not as full as the original.  

I always try to find comparisons when evaluating whether a book is an original or not---it's another effective way to protect yourself. And it's unfortunate this particular comparison copy appears to have been damaged by having color touch removed.

Is there no humanity?  

The other dead give away are the vertical red paint lines along the spine of the pages along with 3 staples. I would never ever buy this book unless I traveled to examine it myself. Way too much money involved to take a strangers word for it. Who knows? Maybe THEY got scammed and are trying to recoup their own losses.

On 10/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, Randall Ries said:

Maybe THEY got scammed and are trying to recoup their own losses.

Wouldn't matter if they were a family of 12 and at some point they all resold it to and scammed each other on it right down the line. If they know exactly what it is, it's no excuse to bang someone over the head just because they got the royal shaft.  Based on the carefully conceived images that selectively avoid showing the three staples and key Treasury edition vs. 1940 Batman 1 key identifiers that are well detailed on the internet, I'd wager that the seller knows that his Batman 1 is the Treasury reprint. 

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Wouldn't matter if they were a family of 12 and at some point they all resold it to and scammed each other on it right down the line. If they know exactly what it is, it's no excuse to bang someone over the head just because they got the royal shaft.  Based on the carefully conceived images that selectively avoid showing the three staples and key Treasury edition vs. 1940 Batman 1 key identifiers that are well detailed on the internet, I'd wager that the seller knows that his Batman 1 is the Treasury reprint. 

Where did I say it matters? I was musing. The main point is don't buy this book unless it's from a reputable seller. Try to travel to see it first. And do your homework beforehand.

1 minute ago, KCOComics said:

My 7 year old son and wife got me this copy of action comics #1. Do you guys think it's legit?

I'm 99% sure it is!  My only concern is the N in "Action" looks slightly off, but I think that's a production error.  

20200923_182724.jpg

Looks legit, but incomplete.

2 hours ago, KCOComics said:

My 7 year old son and wife got me this copy of action comics #1. Do you guys think it's legit?

I'm 99% sure it is!  My only concern is the N in "Action" looks slightly off, but I think that's a production error.  

20200923_182724.jpg

I think that bend at UR will press out, as it certainly doesn't seem to be color-breaking. But the LL corner is really going to hurt the grade.