• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bomber Bob memorial thread.
6 6

116 posts in this topic

That sucks to read of the passing of a boardie who was obviously held in such high esteem by so many here. From what I've gleaned from other comments, it sounds like Bob resided here in the Chicago area, as do I. I cannot place him by name, but I have to believe I saw him over the years as I've been going to shows for over forty years. It could be he only did larger cons, so perhaps our paths did not cross.

Does anyone have a photo they'd care to share so we can put a face to the name? It happens often enough in collecting circles that I've seen someone for decades and never really know their name.

R.I.P.

Edited by PopKulture

Very sad news!  Anyone have a fairly recent picture of Bob?  I'm sure I have run into him at various Cons over the years (especially if he set up at Motor City) but I can't put a face to a name.

Edited by 1Cool

I just wanted to echo the sentiments of my Dad, Bob was one of the first "serious" collectors I met at a show, Wizard World Chicago being the second show I ever helped my Dad with while I was in college. He always made a point to stop by our booth and pick out something (usually multiple things), and I'll always remember his awesome Chicago accent and booming laugh. I had missed seeing him at some of the recent Chicago shows and just recently learned he was sick, but am just as saddened to hear of his passing. He will be missed in life and in the hobby for sure! R.I.P. 

Edited by alexgreece

as has been said, Bob was always willing to help the noobie.  He was generous with his time and his knowledge of the hobby.  7 years ago I asked him if he could shed some light on what were the loose grading periods.  His insight was very valuable to me then and since.

RIP Bomber.

"Andy, glad to help. First off I totally avoid the period after Mark Haspel left, especially the whole year of 2011. That year, especially onsite grading at Philly and Chicago, they were giving away grades. I don't feel safe until the second half of 2012.

I also look at the cert number itself. Certs starting with 095 almost certainly went through Matt Nelson and are pressed. This is when he was the only game in town.  Not necessarily bad but good to know.

Certs starting with 014 and 015 came during a tough period when Borock was on the way out and Haspel was taking over. Haspel was the tightest grader they ever had, especially at first. He loosened up a little bit when they started to get a lot of new pedigree collections in."

54 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Certs starting with 014 and 015 came during a tough period when Borock was on the way out and Haspel was taking over. Haspel was the tightest grader they ever had, especially at first. He loosened up a little bit when they started to get a lot of new pedigree collections in."

Confirm, even restored.

This is very sad to hear. I was fortunate to have been able to interact and trade with Bob a few time over the years on the boards. I was always impressed by his knowledge of the hobby. I never met him personally but his presence here will be missed. This is a big loss here on the boards. Condolences to his family.