• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When your eyes are bigger than your wallet...
1 1

51 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, The Voord said:

I certainly wouldn't recommend specializing, as you'd be shutting yourself off from lots of potentially great art.  Just let the dust settle on your initial feeding frenzy and let your wallet build up reserves..  While that's happening, you could be perusing what's out there and available to you.  It's a safe bet that you've come from a comic-book collecting background . . . so transpose that interest into comic art that ties-in to the stuff that's pushed your buttons over the years.

Speaking personally, if I specialized from the git go, I'd never have owned such a diverse collection during the course of the past 38 years . . . 

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

The problem I was addressing, however, was the OP’s interest in not scratching that itch. Some people have other ways which help them control the urge, like rambunctious kids, clogged roof gutters, and good ole fashioned sex. But when they don’t work, then what? You can find other ways to specialize—pages with waterfalls, artists from Canada, heroines who are no bigger than B cups (probably, a very limited collection), and, you can also buy something outside a category— the buyer makes the rules. You can also change later.. But concentration brings a collection into focus, as well as saving money for fewer items and likely forcing the buyer into better, more expensive purchases. So, I will stand pat (and maybe break my own rules in the next few days over something I like).

2 hours ago, Varanis said:

I assume you're kidding, but if that makes someone happy - who cares?

He's not kidding.

If anyone here is interested in Themed Art Galleries, I posted a list here with descriptions.

It's old and I really should update it, but it is fascinating. In some cases, I had to rely on the Wayback Machine.

Check it out.

Edited by alxjhnsn

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Walt = Cliffguy.

I was a bit sad to see them start appearing on the market. Nobody collects forever. I guess :(

Another was Joel Thingvall's Wonder Woman collection. Once massive, that's been selling off over many years, still large though.

I saw an Uncle Scrooge and Donald piece by Don Rosa on eBay. I showed it to my wife and turns out she bought it for me for my birthday. It was from Walt, but it wasn't until a year or two later that I realized it was part of the Cliffguy collection even though I know Walt was Cliffguy. I will never be Batman. :(
image.thumb.png.b0a12d2fff27c07780cadebe97da2564.png

Edited by alxjhnsn

As to the original premise, no, I've managed to resist over extending myself.

I have a few major themes:

• Artists I like and the characters I most associate with them, e.g., Swan/Superman, Swan/LSH, Kubert/Sgt. Rock, Kubert/Hawkman, Cardy/Bat Lash, Cardy Teen Titans, etc. Lots of commissions because I like the money to go directly to the artists, but quite a few published pieces, too.
  • Faux Sugar and Spike #100 Covers  - S&S made it to 98 in the original run and 99 with a special edition comic, but no 100. While we wait, I'm preparing the variant covers that that issue will require.
  • Arm Wrestling with Heroes - I needed a fallback commission idea and this struck me as a good one. :) Silver Age Supergirl against the artist's character, generally, but not always. I'm in a couple of them. :)
  • Legion of Super-Heroes - My favorite team.

I like to commission folks and a theme is a good idea if you do that. My main theme takes me to published pieces and commissions.

56 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

As to the original premise, no, I've managed to resist over extending myself.

I have a few major themes:

• Artists I like and the characters I most associate with them, e.g., Swan/Superman, Swan/LSH, Kubert/Sgt. Rock, Kubert/Hawkman, Cardy/Bat Lash, Cardy Teen Titans, etc. Lots of commissions because I like the money to go directly to the artists, but quite a few published pieces, too.
  • Faux Sugar and Spike #100 Covers  - S&S made it to 98 in the original run and 99 with a special edition comic, but no 100. While we wait, I'm preparing the variant covers that that issue will require.
  • Arm Wrestling with Heroes - I needed a fallback commission idea and this struck me as a good one. :) Silver Age Supergirl against the artist's character, generally, but not always. I'm in a couple of them. :)
  • Legion of Super-Heroes - My favorite team.

I like to commission folks and a theme is a good idea if you do that. My main theme takes me to published pieces and commissions.

When I get commissions, I usually go out of my way to get them from artists who have no association with the character at all, and may not even know him, just so I can see what the artist does with it. Usually, I have been happily surprised  (I do supply stories for them to look through).

Replace comic art with wine and that was me... Buying every interesting varietal.. My liver couldn't keep up with my wallet and soon had over 300 bottles.

Similar to art you start by casting a wide net, then dial it back to what you really enjoy.

Luckily learned my lesson with wine (which you can drink) and have been pretty disciplined with my art purchases.

2 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I saw an Uncle Scrooge and Donald piece by Don Rosa on eBay. I showed it to my wife and turns out she bought it for me for my birthday. It was from Walt, but it wasn't until a year or two later that I realized it was part of the Cliffguy collection even though I know Walt was Cliffguy. I will never be Batman. :(
image.thumb.png.b0a12d2fff27c07780cadebe97da2564.png

Alex that’s beautiful.

6 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Alex that’s beautiful.

It really is. As I say in the description, I took it to HeroesCon to get a picture of it with Don and he offered to color it. We visited while he worked. I Thad thought the pen & ink was great, but this is really impressive. 

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 9/19/2020 at 10:12 AM, BuraddoRun said:

I'm sure a lot of new collectors do this but, I got a little carried away with wanting to build up my comic art collection.

This is me. I'm now hiding purchases from my spouse. Assume divorce is the next phase...

:whistle:

16 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

It really is. As I say in the description, I took it to HeroesCon to get a picture of it with Don and he offered to color it. We visited while he worked. I Thad thought the pen & ink was great, but this is really impressive. 

Yes had I owned the piece I would have been hesitant to alter it. But it’s Don Rosa. You don’t say no to Don Rosa over a creative suggestion!!!

The colors are wonderful.

Now, I would draw the line if the artist had offered to sign the art across Donald’s blue coat with a red marker:facepalm: