• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM JIM83 [GRADE IS IN!]
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Hope you all are well.   The stain under the "E" is some residue (food-related liquid?) which used to have some paper from another comic stuck to it, since removed safely.  Are these white pages?  Those are not my fingers in the final pic, btw :).   Is this a worthy press/clean candidate?  

IMG_0735.thumb.jpg.f6b3766fae377bb7e2e05b817bf25107.jpg

IMG_0736.thumb.jpg.084302d0b3080be0c566486ee0362248.jpg

IMG_0744.thumb.jpg.4ef1854da825358394bf91f820da205b.jpg

IMG_0752.thumb.jpg.484876ced93cc829e17a74f87acc2c60.jpg

IMG_0754.thumb.jpg.505a9aa487da0c91d9cf2b898b59633c.jpg

1319809878_JIM83UKvariantraw2.0-topspine.thumb.jpg.8981001fd0845a4d993f2f0cdc32fe88.jpg

Edited by Pantodude

An accumulation of major defects (top spine split, piece out back cover, large stain, excessive writing, book length crease + numerous other large color-breaking creases) keeps this in the G range in my opinion. Not sure how much a press will really help with the grade due to all the color-breaking creases on the cover. Cool pence variant book though!

Thanks for all the input.   There is the 1-inch top spine split, but the spine and staple areas are othewrise in great shape with the cover firmly in place, and all corners and edges are pretty sound.  Seems like less wear (like worn areas or wrinkles) than expected in light of the creases, especially in the non-crease areas.    So hopefully at least a 2.5, and I gather a longshot for anything above that, but thankfully I can't complain even if a 2.0, as it looks nice overall.  We'll see.       

Something interesting about this book, perhaps a pence variant thing, is that the above pix are not inaccurate color-wise.  In hand, the colors really pop throughout, i.e., both front covers and interior pages.  The colors, but especially the blacks, seem to be more intense/brighter than other JIM83s (I only found hi-res pix for 12-centers), which reminds me of the folks who believe that the pence variants were printed first before the 12-centers during that initial print run.   For example, it's really cool that the front cover's "THOR!" jumps out at you, likely due to the intense blacks.  I also never really noticed Thor's belt and boots on the front cover before this book, but they present boldly here, along with the logo, the black and yellow in the large text bubbles, etc.   To research or not to research, that is the question.  

Anyway, thanks for all the comments.   Stay safe folks!     

Edited by Pantodude

I don't think pressing will help you. Those corners are kind of beaten up in actuality. The tear on the back cover and the large number of color breaks on the front cover won't go away in a press and the tear on the front cinches that to me. The pages are surprisingly white. The first few issues of JIM 83,84,and 85 were questionable on the paper quality at least for the covers. "Get Marlow" is probably the authority on Pence variants and he hangs around in the silver age section much of the time with the flying nurses . He's been quietly amassing a peculiar collection of pence variants but really knows his stuff. The Thor belt did change a few issues into the future. It's a nice valuable comic to have. '83 is the only one I don't have u[p to 200. At the time I thought it to be too pricey for my collegiate tastes I think a mid grade was about $60.00 bucks. 

9 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

I don't think pressing will help you. Those corners are kind of beaten up in actuality. The tear on the back cover and the large number of color breaks on the front cover won't go away in a press and the tear on the front cinches that to me. The pages are surprisingly white. The first few issues of JIM 83,84,and 85 were questionable on the paper quality at least for the covers. "Get Marlow" is probably the authority on Pence variants and he hangs around in the silver age section much of the time with the flying nurses . He's been quietly amassing a peculiar collection of pence variants but really knows his stuff. The Thor belt did change a few issues into the future. It's a nice valuable comic to have. '83 is the only one I don't have u[p to 200. At the time I thought it to be too pricey for my collegiate tastes I think a mid grade was about $60.00 bucks. 

$60.  You were in college(!) and didn't realize that was a good deal at the time!   :facepalm:     Joking aside, congrats on the JIM run.