• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Con 9/2020
1 1

44 posts in this topic

I had seen the pieces I was somewhat interested in on-line, and didn't see anything new or interesting for me.  There were some new things, but not a lot IMO.

Prices that I knew from being on-line were the same. I didn't bother trying to negotiate, since they didn't excite me enough to be worth it.

But, it was good to see people I knew there and chit chat with them again. That made the experience worthwhile.

I am surprised that no one who has a reasonably close facility tries to sell supplies, except for Anthony's Itoya box. Yes, they take up a lot of space, and no, I wouldn't do it if I were flying in, but they should be an easy few bucks for top loaders, for example.

17 hours ago, artcollector9 said:

IMG_8346.jpg

I know this one has been around before, but, can someone refresh my memory on the price and backstory behind the unpublished FF #52 cover?  

(Just curious; not interested in it for my collection)

22 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

Ankur... THANK YOU! 

If you can’t be there it’s cool to see these photos for a taste of the floor. I REALLY dig the Byrne Alpha Flight poster art, I’m sure I wouldn’t dig the price tho!

If I told you the price of that piece was $50K*, now would that be something you might be interested in? 

giphy.gif

* that was indeed the asking price for the piece

Edited by delekkerste

8 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If I told you the price of that piece was $50K*, now would that be something you might be interested in? 

giphy.gif

* that was indeed the asking price for the piece

$55,000 :baiting: 

1 hour ago, gumbydarnit said:

U-Jay I like your purchases. Can’t beat the X-Men!

image.thumb.jpeg.6cc554611465130c27ad3db0c36b3c10.jpeg

1 hour ago, bisquitodoom said:

I used to think those Larocca covers like this where he'd only ink some of the blacks were sort of strange.  But the more I see of them, the more I like them.  I like his style and it makes the art really stand out.  Nice score!  

Thanks guys! 

@bisquitodoom - a friend of mine who collects said it looks unfinished, and while I see what he is saying I tend to agree with you - on these covers he seems to ink the “true” black spots of the cover and I think that actually accentuates the pencil art. I targeted this one in particular  for the strong wolverine image and sentinels looming around the rest of the team. 

31 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Here were my pickups. The X-men 43 was on layaway and was picked up at the show. Another note, Anthony was giving free portfolios with every purchase! What a guy!

F31DD90F-24F6-4B58-A6EA-C0394A5675BF.jpeg

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME page!  I can only dream of having such a fantastic Silver Age Magneto page.  Congratulations on that super sweet piece of art!

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

Here were my pickups. The X-men 43 was on layaway and was picked up at the show. Another note, Anthony was giving free portfolios with every purchase! What a guy!

F31DD90F-24F6-4B58-A6EA-C0394A5675BF.jpeg

Really nice!  The reprint of this was the second Silver Age X-men book I ever bought.  I thought the cover was really cool, and this splash has the same sort of feel to it.  No battle, but it's almost cooler without it.  Really nice Magneto image.  He really didn't appear that much in the book between Kirby and Steranko, so there aren't many to pick from in this run.  

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I know this one has been around before, but, can someone refresh my memory on the price and backstory behind the unpublished FF #52 cover?  

(Just curious; not interested in it for my collection)

FF #52 unpublished cover from HA from May 14, 2016.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-joe-sinnott-fantastic-four-52-unused-first-black-panther-cover-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7137-92187.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Sold for:$131,450.00

"Your bid of $1 ($20.00 w/Buyer's Premium (BP) ) on this lot was outbid." :)

Edited by Twanj

4 minutes ago, Twanj said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-joe-sinnott-fantastic-four-52-unused-first-black-panther-cover-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7137-92187.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

You think the owner could spring for, I dunno, a 4mm mylar rather than whatever drycleaner baggie it's in.  :baiting:

2 hours ago, Twanj said:

Twanj, just one more bid (the last one) and you would have won it, so close yet so far away!  ; )

Still you were much closer to winning than I was.

3 hours ago, glendgold said:

You think the owner could spring for, I dunno, a 4mm mylar rather than whatever drycleaner baggie it's in.  :baiting:

The Heritage description has let us down as well: "The board has been closely trimmed and there is some handling wear with a few small edge tears, but nothing that will take away from the eye-appeal, once the art has been framed for display (and trust us, you'll want to show this baby off)" ...I mean, I guess it is being shown off. It's just not quite frame-worthy.

4 hours ago, drdroom said:

The Heritage description has let us down as well: "The board has been closely trimmed and there is some handling wear with a few small edge tears, but nothing that will take away from the eye-appeal, once the art has been framed for display (and trust us, you'll want to show this baby off)" ...I mean, I guess it is being shown off. It's just not quite frame-worthy.

Yeah, at least cut up some twigs and duct tape them together in a reasonable rectangle. Save the actual frame for your Sal Buscema art.

5 hours ago, glendgold said:

Yeah, at least cut up some twigs and duct tape them together in a reasonable rectangle. Save the actual frame for your Sal Buscema art.

Why would you waste good duct tape on...(shudders)...”him”...I swear the committee’s work will never be done at this rate.