• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Slab...

10 posts in this topic

It seems that I finally popped by slab cherry with a low grade key...  I know I'm on the CGC forums, but personally I don't really like what slabbing has done to collecting, but I ended up grabbing this for probably close to the amount you'd pay for a raw copy in similar condition...  I actually would have preferred a raw copy, and am considering maybe even cracking this open lol.  At least it's a new slab with the 'cool' custom Spidey graphic. 

Although in terms of long term comic economics, does the crew here think it would have made more financial sense to pay $90 for a 9.0 slab, or $26 for this 6.0 slab?

ASM_298_CGC_SLAB_60.jpg

I haven't seen the slab in person yet, but I'm assuming whoever had it done MUST have been expecting a higher grade?  Or do collectors have enough faith that demand for this issue will always be high, and even slabbing 6.0s makes sense?  According to the serial number the book was just graded back on August 3rd, 2020, so at least it also has a brand new case.

Oh well, if I start feeling insecure I guess I can apply a 9.8 sticker over the 6.0 whenever I have the slab on display :).  You know, like Jerry used to change the tags in all of his jeans from a 32" to a 30" waist ;)

Edited by StreetPreacher

13 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

good deal ! can't get much cheaper!

Haha yeah!  I'm actually just waiting for the seller to figure a way to cancel the sale since it went for so little lol.  Although the seller did specifically mention in the description that it was a 'No Reserve' auction, so it would be a bit weak of them to back out now haha.

Oh well, I was hoping my first slab would be the Stan,Todd,David triple signed 9.8 ASM #316 I was considering a while back for only $1500, but I guess this is nice too :)  Now I just have to also buy a digital copy so I can actually read the book!

Edited by StreetPreacher

19 minutes ago, Yorick said:

Some people pay a premium for newsstand copies.  Maybe that was the rationale for submitting it (or the submitter thought it would grade higher... :cry:)?

Yeah, I didn't think this book was important enough to be getting 6.0 copies slabbed? 

But I've been looking for a decent copy of this issue for my personal collection, so if someone else has already paid for the grading, and I'm not paying a large premium for the slab then I guess I can deal with it :).

I also haven't seen the OTHER SIDE of the book yet, so maybe the back cover is torn to shreds or something? lol.  But yeah, I'm thinking someone must have expected this to get a higher grade, or maybe they were thinking REALLY long term, as those white covers are hard to keep clean?  Hopefully all of the un-slabbed copies turn yellow, and then every slabbed example will become more valuable ;)

I've also been zooming in on the photo trying to see why it was only graded a 6.0, but I can't see any major defects?  I guess spine ticks are hard to see on white covers, but I don't see any major ticks on this copy?  The corners also look fairly sharp, and I can't see any severe creases/folds/stains etc. anywhere?  Unless, is that a tear in the paper at the top of the 'S' in the title?

But you'd think that someone paying extra for the custom label was expecting a higher grade?  If anyone cares I'll keep you posted!

'

Edited by StreetPreacher

On 9/24/2020 at 12:31 AM, Phil Coulson said:

Are the new labels an option?  I prefer the old labels with comments like "1st appearance..."

Yes, I believe the 'hero' labels are a special order, with an extra $5 charge.  And it looks like any extra info is printed on the back of the custom tags instead..

Luckily someone else had this slabbed before I bought it, and said they lost like $30 on the sale.  Apparently the book was even pressed before grading, so the original owner was DEFINITELY expecting a higher grade.

Does anyone ever feel bad for winning an auction that the seller is losing money on?  This seller told me that they also had this book pressed before grading, so they were into it for like $50, and I picked it up for $26 lol :)

Edited by StreetPreacher