• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

World's Finest - Where's the love?
2 2

40 posts in this topic

I think it's because major events, villains, and first appearances in Batman and Superman lore generally happened in their respective anthology titles (Action, Detective) or dedicated books (Superman, Batman). WF feels like supplemental material by comparison. That being said, I really like the WWII-era WF covers.

10 hours ago, Gambold said:

One argument *against* the silly cover theory - what about these examples from early Superman and Batman - they are hardly more serious than the early World's Finest covers.

I had answered that as well

14 hours ago, William-James88 said:

it's not a title that had a lasting run, like Batman, Superman, Action or Detective, so there isn't even that extra incentive to buy them to complete a run. It does feel like fluff, something extra not overly integral to the characters' publication history, and thus not overly integral to a collection of said characters. 

That explains why silly covers in the main character titles go for higher than the silly overs in the worlds finest title. 

>t's not a title that had a lasting run, like Batman, Superman, Action or Detective

Well I have to push back on that.  World's Finest ran for 45 years, from 1941-1986.  It's a seminal book in the DC universe, and has featured a host of artists, characters and stories.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Finest_Comics

On 9/21/2020 at 4:55 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i like Surfing covers and i think this one is best surfing cover in all of comicdom

World's Finest #36

I collect surfing covers. Kind of like "Fish in the Face" and other obscure subsets, there are not a lot of GA ones. None are really drawn accurately but fun none the less. Here are a few others. Can't really pick a favorite.

comnewadventure18.jpg

comfourmostv8#2.jpg

comtiptop132.jpg

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I collect surfing covers. Kind of like "Fish in the Face" and other obscure subsets, there are not a lot of GA ones. None are really drawn accurately but fun none the less. Here are a few others. Can't really pick a favorite.

comnewadventure18.jpg

comfourmostv8#2.jpg

comtiptop132.jpg

If someone has never surfed or watched surfing closely they have no idea how to correctly draw it...lol  Or even skateboarding...Damn, our shorts were SHORT back in 1980.

=ME-Skateboard-Goleta-1978.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This thread inspired me to look at my World’s Finest. 

I just pulled out this run. It came from the best GA collection I was lucky enough to purchase. 

Many years ago, a guy from Highland Park, CA walked into my friend’s antique store with a box of comics. It was primarily Atomic Age. 1947-1954. All genres, all publishers. Decent runs of most everything. The guy brought in about 1 large box a month. All mixed up. Grades from fair to fine generally. The lady would put them aside and call me. This went on for about a year and a half. Stored in a garage so many were slightly browning and a few even had rat chews. But what an incredible stash! I would buy them all and wait for the next box. Anybody who has ever been lucky enough to make a buy like this knows the feeling of flipping book after book not knowing what will come up next. Jo Jo, Detective, Weird Mystery, Millie the Model, Submariner, Space Detective, Jungle ect. Always a fun mix. A full paper box each time. This collection formed a big part of my collection with plenty of extras to fund the next box. Good times and something I will probably never find again. I probably still own 3/4ths of them. 

Here is about a random third of the World’s Finest that I got. And yeah, pretty dopey covers. All from that very difficult period of DC. 

B45D7820-06D3-4A78-A648-39DBEF6DA435.jpeg

I like those early WF issues and the middle  30-70 numbers too.

5558750749_c8e4738570_b.jpg

On 9/21/2020 at 8:59 AM, bpc3qh said:

I really like the actual cover to #3, but maybe that's because I'm a baseball guy. In general, I think the WF covers are fun and entertaining.

Well, besides WF 3 and later scarce issues from the early 50's which are clearly going for big money nowadays, are the rest of the first 10 cardboard issues of this run still selling for relative peanuts or has interest and demand picked up to the point that they are now selling for a slight premium to condition guide prices?  hm  (shrug)

Asking maybe, but I doubt selling for over guide. I do know one guy locally and who is actually putting together the run He never pays over guide though. 

After my post above, I decided to reread some of them but was bored pretty quickly. Bats are often clever and a little dark but Supes is pretty boring. 

GA DCs have always left me a little flat. Other than Batman, The Spectre, Dr Fate and the Sandman in the early issues, the rest is a little hard to get through. But maybe, that is just me...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Asking maybe, but I doubt selling for over guide. I do know one guy locally and who is actually putting together the run He never pays over guide though. 

After my post above, I decided to reread some of them but was bored pretty quickly. Bats are often clever and a little dark but Supes is pretty boring. 

GA DCs have always left me a little flat. Other than Batman, The Spectre, Dr Fate and the Sandman in the early issues, the rest is a little hard to get through. But maybe, that is just me...

It MAY indeed be you.  You're reading them as an adult and not as a 7-12 year old kid - for whom they were meant when they were released...

I just saw this posting.  I am a Superman collector and I carefully track the title's pricing.  The Silly Superman covers (especially the yellow ones) sell at or below Overstreet price guide while the non-Silly covers (especially the War covers) sell well above Guide.  The issue with World's Finest is that almost all the GA comics have Silly covers and include Robin.  "Wholesome Kid" superheroes add an additional layer of silliness.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:09 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Reposting this cause I keep getting asked about it online for nice full picture. Here is a non-photo picture of my World's Finest #3 replacement cover which 'fixes' the issue of Scarecrow not appearing on the cover (though note due to jpeg compression and the forum further compressing the art you won't correctly see all the ben day process dots). Pencils by comic artist Tom Martin, everything else by me (colors/titles, some extra inking over the original etc)

WF3-FULLCOVER-RUMINSKI-SAUCEDOG-WEB.thumb.jpg.54a145ed08bd3cb55394cda05dbda004.jpg

That is so cool, man. Absolutely awesome.