• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending Amazing Spiderman #238 to CGC Event what label will it get?

17 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Z List said:

No the sig will be legit. You'd get a Green for the missing tattoo. The example I posted is from CGC's website for a book that has 2 sigs on it, one not verified, so not relevant to your situation.

Gotcha, thank you. How desirable are these yellow/green labels on the resell market? is it worth it?

34 minutes ago, Z List said:

No the sig will be legit. You'd get a Green for the missing tattoo. The example I posted is from CGC's website for a book that has 2 sigs on it, one not verified, so not relevant to your situation.

Are you sure about that? 

I've seen graded copies in a Yellow Signature Series slab, but the label states: ("Tattooz" insert missing) INCOMPLETE".  

Does CGC give you an option of the yellow label with a lower grade, or a Green label with a higher grade?  I haven't dug into exactly how this works, or what effect the label colour will have on value, but it appears that it's definitely possible to get a Yellow SS label even if you send in a book that's missing the "Tattooz" :)

amazing-spider-man-238-cgc_yellow_label_missing.jpg

Edited by StreetPreacher

The whole thing with ASM #238 is weird. I have heard a lot of people say they bought copies of this book new, have them and their copies never came with Tatooz. I honestly think that the bubble on the cover ruins this for a lot of people because they are expecting to get Tatooz inside and it says they should be there. Yet for whatever reason during printing, there were a lot that never got that insert. And now, the book gets hit harder when it is missing.

I mean, I am part of the snobby group that would want the Tats. Thankfully I do but I also don't know if I would invest heavily in a copy without....if it was just for me, sure but to resell might be an adventure, especially if you are getting mixed labels involved. Harder to find the guy who has to have a signed book but also doesn't mind it being "incomplete" as deemed by the masses and CGC. 

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

The whole thing with ASM #238 is weird. I have heard a lot of people say they bought copies of this book new, have them and their copies never came with Tatooz. I honestly think that the bubble on the cover ruins this for a lot of people because they are expecting to get Tatooz inside and it says they should be there. Yet for whatever reason during printing, there were a lot that never got that insert. And now, the book gets hit harder when it is missing.

I mean, I am part of the snobby group that would want the Tats. Thankfully I do but I also don't know if I would invest heavily in a copy without....if it was just for me, sure but to resell might be an adventure, especially if you are getting mixed labels involved. Harder to find the guy who has to have a signed book but also doesn't mind it being "incomplete" as deemed by the masses and CGC. 

I have a Canadian copy that I bought at my LCS when the book came out and it does not have the Tattooz inside.

43 minutes ago, Z List said:

You're right that I assumed the missing tat was the only problem in the OP's question. The grade above says 4.0 so it probably has many flaws besides the missing tattoo. hm

Like I said, I haven't researched exactly how they decide what label to issue, or if the customer is given options in this situation?  Anyway, just wanted to show that you can DEFINITELY get a Yellow label if the copy of ASM #238 submitted for a CGC SS event is missing the 'tattooz' :)

Is there a chance my original assumption could be true, that in this situation the customer is allowed to choose between a lower grade Yellow Label, or a higher grade Green Label? 

Like I thought I heard that if you send in a book that's already been signed, you have the option of them grading it assuming the 'autograph' wasn't there, and assigning a grade based on the actual condition of the book, but issuing the dreaded Green Label...  OR, you could tell them to consider the 'autograph' a defect, and issue a Blue Label while treating the signature as if some kid had just scribbled on the cover with crayon or something?

So, essentially giving the customer the choice of a low graded Blue 'Univeresal' Label, or a higher graded Green 'Qualified' label?

Edited by StreetPreacher

1 hour ago, Ladic said:

Gotcha, thank you. How desirable are these yellow/green labels on the resell market? is it worth it?

If you're attempting do this for profit, the value depends on the grade (like most other comics).  ASM 238 is a fairly common (if valuable) comic, so there should be plenty of sales on ebay to interpolate a value for expected grade, even for a qualified copy.  So do your own research on expected grade, factor in all your submission/signing/grading fees (including shipping/insurance), examine your market and selling fees, think over your own risk preferences for grades, opportunity cost, tying up your money, and see if it's worth it.   Your decision may also be a function of whether you value pure dollar profit vs rate of return.

Obviously, the green/yellow are worth way less than the yellow counterparts in similar grades, but how much less is often a factor of luck, or how good the sig looks, or the overall grade.  

I would say in this case, since you have so many questions and there doesn't seem to be a resounding obvious "SLAB IT NOW!" from the peanut gallery (myself included), this probably isn't your best avenue to turn a profit.  As an aside, unless you've really built up some knowledge and  experience, getting qualified comics signed usually isn't the best avenue to turn a profit.

Good luck.

Edited by revat

I find it fascinating how the evolution of comics has taken something away from the ownership of them . The evolution of comic book ownership has taken away from the enjoyment and the same has occurred with baseball cards and action figures . Eons ago a kid would put his/ her name on a comic to identify it as theirs , they would cut out coupons to get specialty / mail ordered items , now these are heinous acts . This was also during a time when comics were more story than ad but I digress ... rantrant

im just as guilty ...

1 hour ago, StreetPreacher said:

Are you sure about that? 

I've seen graded copies in a Yellow Signature Series slab, but the label states: ("Tattooz" insert missing) INCOMPLETE".  

Does CGC give you an option of the yellow label with a lower grade, or a Green label with a higher grade?  I haven't dug into exactly how this works, or what effect the label colour will have on value, but it appears that it's definitely possible to get a Yellow SS label even if you send in a book that's missing the "Tattooz" :)

The example you are showing is an older label before CGC was doing the combo green/yellow verified label.  His book will get the green/yellow label as long as CGC doesn't make a mistake.

2 hours ago, Ladic said:

It's not worth it. The way these SS series go is that they charge a fixed price for an unlimited amount of worth. So, mathematically speaking, for this to make sense for CGC, they charge an average amount of the tier worth. So to make the best of it, you would need to send a complete comic in a high grade. Your comic is worth less off the bat due to the green label and we don't even know the grade. A high grade (like 9.4) without the tatooz  sells for $115. The yellow labels that make the comic worthwhile tend to have a combo of sigs, like JRJR AND Stan Lee.

image.thumb.png.cb63ab5ca2c3eb41d65fe68f1d52d786.png

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Right? Wonder if any Canadian copies have the tats?hm

Apparently, this one does

s-l1600.jpg