• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this Hulk 181 legit ?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

It certainly does look legit. Usually, the fakes and the reprints are easy to spot, and this looks real. However, high-grade copies of this book don’t just fall out of trees every day. This is the second one in three days that I have seen online with somebody saying, “is this real?” When somebody asks that question, usually it is because they are considering an offer that seems too good to be true. And when it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

I would want to know the story behind the book. if the story is: “I got this from my uncle and he only owns this one book. And by the way, cash only and no returns.”  It’s a scam.  It’s certainly possible that there is a new and convincing fake out in the world somewhere.

9 minutes ago, Niko1975 said:

Yes he's asking under 3000$ 

So it's too good to be true 

How far under? Not a lot of raw comps on eBay, but here's one that sold at a best offer price of $2,350: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HULK-181-1ST-FULL-APPEARANCE-OF-WOLVERINE-MVS-INTACT-HI-GRADE-9-0-R-STUNNING/133515235627?hash=item1f1620d12b:g:s-MAAOSw-mNfWQyH

And another with a winning bid of $2,125: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-Vol-1-Near-Perfect-High-Grade-1st-Wolverine-w-Marvel-Stamp/401608994695?hash=item5d81c2ef87:g:PjwAAOSwAI9bsTOg

They look like decent ones too - like I said, hard to tell 100% with the pics you have. I'm not suggesting you jump at it or anything, there are far more qualified people on here than I who can tell you a lot more about this book (I don't own one) - but just trying to help with some basic comps/research.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

The question may not be “is it real”, but “is there Undisclosed restoration”? Or “are all the pages there?”

Those are the other biggest risks once you’ve established real ness

6 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

How far under? Not a lot of raw comps on eBay, but here's one that sold at a best offer price of $2,350: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HULK-181-1ST-FULL-APPEARANCE-OF-WOLVERINE-MVS-INTACT-HI-GRADE-9-0-R-STUNNING/133515235627?hash=item1f1620d12b:g:s-MAAOSw-mNfWQyH

And another with a winning bid of $2,125: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-181-Vol-1-Near-Perfect-High-Grade-1st-Wolverine-w-Marvel-Stamp/401608994695?hash=item5d81c2ef87:g:PjwAAOSwAI9bsTOg

They look like decent ones too - like I said, hard to tell 100% with the pics you have. I'm not suggesting you jump at it or anything, there are far more qualified people on here than I who can tell you a lot more about this book (I don't own one) - but just trying to help with some basic comps/research.

Both got snatch up!

1 hour ago, ghn999 said:

Both got snatch up!

Oh yeah, those were sold listings - I always only look at sold listings for comps. Active listings can be useful to kind of gauge where interest might be in a book - if a lot of active listings are around the same asking price or bid level, you can get some decent ideas, but the sales paint a much better picture.

2 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

Bummer, sorry man - at least you didn't have to guess and hope it wasn't restored. I think if you're patient and keep up the hunt, the right copy will find you. And that's my moment of zen for the day... :bigsmile:

Thanks man we live for the hunt 

Right ? 🙂

3 hours ago, revat said:

The question may not be “is it real”, but “is there Undisclosed restoration”? Or “are all the pages there?”

Those are the other biggest risks once you’ve established real ness

In the description.

There has been some restoration work on this book including edges trimmed, page 10 married and small amount of color touch on cover. 

9 minutes ago, joeypost said:

In the description.

There has been some restoration work on this book including edges trimmed, page 10 married and small amount of color touch on cover. 

That’s why I said “undisclosed”, it’s easy to get focused on the obvious stuff, but with so much, there may be more...

and no disrespect to the OP, but it doesn’t seem like he’s an expert on restoration or it’s effect on pricing (I’m not either)

Edited by revat