• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gary Groth and John Byrne have a friendly chat...

28 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Interesting article. When Byrne says 'I hate to play superstar' but I get the feeling he didn't actually hate to play superstar.

Yeah, this exactly. And "comics superstar", man, talk about damning with faint praise. "I'm a household name for tens of thousands of people!"

I just wish young John Byrne could see old John Byrne, compare him to what Colan was doing at the same age, and then start leveling accusations of hacking it out. Byrne hasn't drawn anything worth looking at since the 80s.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah, this exactly. And "comics superstar", man, talk about damning with faint praise. "I'm a household name for tens of thousands of people!"

Hundreds even!!

On 9/21/2020 at 4:26 PM, Prince Namor said:

CJ009.jpeg

The part in the left column describing how Byrne interacted with Claremont at times is exactly what I envision when I hear the phrase 'creative differences' used in describing the breakdown of a partnership.

On 9/22/2020 at 10:16 AM, bb8 said:

Interesting article. When Byrne says 'I hate to play superstar' but I get the feeling he didn't actually hate to play superstar.

No, he didn't. 

I love Byrne - he's my favorite creator - but as you can see from the article, he never hid his light under a bushel, or really cared to hold his tongue. lol