• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181
3 3

29 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Sorry, but my OCD kicked in. :bigsmile:

You asked the board what we thought it was graded at.  Is it already graded or are you looking for feedback? hm (thumbsu

I haven't gotten it graded yet but I will send it in. I've never sent in a faded comic book before. So just asking for grade.

1 hour ago, ghn999 said:

I haven't gotten it graded yet but I will send it in. I've never sent in a faded comic book before. So just asking for grade.

Gotcha.  A clean/press might help here, especially the back cover.  3.0/3.5...IMO.  Good luck. (thumbsu

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I don't think cgc deducts points for fading, so it could grade out as a 4.0, but you'll have trouble selling it for 4.0 $$ 

Was it in a picture frame? Or one to many trips to the tanning bed? 

Are you saying you don’t think CGC deducts for that massively faded cover? If that’s what you’re implying couldn’t be farther from the truth and that’s a large deduction. The highest book I’ve seen with fade like that is maybe a 4.0-4.5. Unless of course it came off the production line like that, but then we’re talking a production error, which is the exception to the rule. But sun fade is a huge deduction.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Press and clean for sure...don't be surprised if you get a 5.0. Here is a comparible in the sense of fading. I think Fine or better would be very hard to get with that much fading

http://hulkcgcmarvel.com/2019/02/the-incredible-hulk-181-cgc-graded-5-0-owithw-pages-complete-1st-wolverine-xmen/

As is, I will safely say 4.5 all day long. 

9 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Are you saying you don’t think CGC deducts for that massively faded cover? If that’s what you’re implying couldn’t be farther from the truth and that’s a large deduction. The highest book I’ve seen with fade like that is maybe a 4.0-4.5. Unless of course it came off the production line like that, but then we’re talking a production error, which is the exception to the rule. But sun fade is a huge deduction.

You are likely correct. And even if your wrong, you should be correct. Fading like that should hurt the grade big time. 

I read at one time that below 4.5 fading won't impact the grade. It was likely a comment on these boards and not a vetted source. 

That said, I bought a pretty faded Hulk 1 earlier this year. It came back as a 4.0 (R) and I'm sure it would have been a 4.0 even if the color jumped off the page. 

Here is my hulk for reference. 

image0.jpeg

45 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

You are likely correct. And even if your wrong, you should be correct. Fading like that should hurt the grade big time. 

I read at one time that below 4.5 fading won't impact the grade. It was likely a comment on these boards and not a vetted source. 

That said, I bought a pretty faded Hulk 1 earlier this year. It came back as a 4.0 (R) and I'm sure it would have been a 4.0 even if the color jumped off the page. 

image0.jpeg

Ehhh, that’s not horrible and I’d say it could have been a 5.0 if not for the slight fading. The chipping to the right won’t hurt the grade as much and it presents pretty well otherwise. I’d say the Hulk 181 out fades you quite significantly haha. I sent in an X-Men 2 to get graded once that presented like a 6.5 but had significant fading and it came back a 4.0. So that’s my personal experience with it.

Edited by LDarkseid1

46 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

image0.jpeg

That's only about a 10% fade on that Hulk #1, and as he was gray anyway, no colour loss on the main character.

4 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Ehhh, that’s not horrible and I’d say it could have been a 5.0 if not for the slight fading. The chipping to the right won’t hurt the grade as much and it presents pretty well otherwise. I’d say the Hulk 181 out fades you quite significantly haha. I sent in an X-Men 2 to get graded once that presented like a 6.5 but had significant fading and it came back a 4.0. So that’s my personal experience with it.

Agreed! The 181 out faded me big time! 

I also agree, it should hurt the grade significantly!