• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damage during grading and its' future affects
2 2

45 posts in this topic

Okay so; Here is my Fantastic Four 52 that cane back from CGC as an 8.0 which by all means is a solid grade for that book...

However; During the encapsulation process whoever was handling the book during the sealing chipped and then sealed 2 pieces of the top of the cover off and trapped them up top. 

How is grade affected by that? Was the 8.0 given with that in mind?

If I send it in for a reholder would it come back as my same 8.0?

Thanks for your help,20200923_032953.thumb.jpg.dbf0545231c98c1d15a1212638af9fac.jpg20200922_133313.thumb.jpg.29b1afad4e889b293fb724c19c4b99c4.jpg

Nick. 

4 hours ago, Nick Berntson said:

Okay so; Here is my Fantastic Four 52 that cane back from CGC as an 8.0 which by all means is a solid grade for that book...

However; During the encapsulation process whoever was handling the book during the sealing chipped and then sealed 2 pieces of the top of the cover off and trapped them up top. 

How is grade affected by that? Was the 8.0 given with that in mind?

If I send it in for a reholder would it come back as my same 8.0?

Thanks for your help,20200923_032953.thumb.jpg.dbf0545231c98c1d15a1212638af9fac.jpg20200922_133313.thumb.jpg.29b1afad4e889b293fb724c19c4b99c4.jpg

Nick. 

If sent for a reholder, and it appears to CGC that the book may no longer be an 8.0, they will regrade.

43 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:
2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

This is a bummer. Unfortunately, sometimes things like this can happen during encapsulation (or any other part of the CGC process). Have you called CGC about this? Perhaps they'd offer some sort of compensation...  (shrug) 

:roflmao:

It's not out of the question, I've gotten compensated and I know of at least one other case where slab-related damage was fully compensated.

That really stinks, email cgc immediately.

I have a similar situation and got back my x-men giant size #1 and it came back with a 1 and half inch crease on the upper right corner.  not sure if it was damaged in shipping.  There was only one book in the package and it was wrapped in bubble wrap. I called CGC however they stated to send pics so they can evaluate. See below and after pictures.  does anyone know the resolution for these cases.

20200921_213224.jpg

thumbnail (4) (1).jpg

I also submitted a book a few years back (Magnus Robot Fighter 7 flip book) and while it was graded 9.8, it came back damaged and torn from the staples. They regraded it 8.0 once they received it back and fully compensated me. Its always best to back up your books being submitted with pics before sending them off and adding date/time stamp on pics as well, especially for the more expensive pieces. Anything you can provide as proof of some sort can help. Definitely better than having no pics before grading at all.  

13 hours ago, robotur said:

That really stinks, email cgc immediately.

I have a similar situation and got back my x-men giant size #1 and it came back with a 1 and half inch crease on the upper right corner.  not sure if it was damaged in shipping.  There was only one book in the package and it was wrapped in bubble wrap. I called CGC however they stated to send pics so they can evaluate. See below and after pictures.  does anyone know the resolution for these cases.

20200921_213224.jpg

thumbnail (4) (1).jpg

I would contact CGC about this to see if you have any options. I wish you the best of luck...   

I'm not surprised, as the quality control at CGC has been total garbage lately.  Both the books I sent in for the Claremont signing came back damaged and a completely incorrect label (how does this get out the door?).  I sent them back in to hopefully get them fixed (pressed) a month ago with an "expedited" turnaround and they're still sitting in received status.  

It seems they care more about getting new signings queued up then actually fixing the problems they caused.  This is not the same company it was a year ago.

I finally got my X-men Giant size #1 back from CGC after it was damaged by CGC during encapulation.  They stated they would repress and reslab free of charge. However the reslabbed book has even more damaged than the first book I received from CGC. see pics of reslabbed book.  pics of the original are also in this email thread.  Has this happened to anybody and what am I suppose to do now?

Basically they reslabbed the book and there is even more damaged which was not there from when I first submitted the book. SEE PICS.

20201030_125023.jpg

20201030_125728.jpg