• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damage during grading and its' future affects
2 2

45 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2020 at 11:00 PM, Randall Dowling said:

To me this is a very serious issue.  As collectors, we take great care to make sure that our books aren't damaged in our care.  The idea that you send them away for professional grading and encapsulation and they get staples popped, corners crushed, pieces pulled off... CGC needs to take this seriously.  Because right now, the riskiest thing you can do with your valued collectibles seems to be getting it graded.

I understand that when you grade a bunch of books, very rarely, something will happen.  But this feels more common that it should be.  2c

hm

The response I got from CGC was to send it to them again. No explanation about how the same book could have been damaged by CGC twice.

The 2nd crease looks like it breaks color so not sure how that will be fixed. extremely frustrating given I have to wait at least another month to get the book back and probably in lesser condition than i originally submitted it.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, where each reslabbing results in more damage?

On 10/30/2020 at 11:33 AM, The Lions Den said:

This is really surprising to me...it doesn't appear to have been pressed at all, or if it was it appears to have been damaged again. 

Not good...  

SCS. Looks to me like Jim Carrey may have been the carrier. We can't downplay the missing, and maybe the weakest link, between the collector and CGC. The carrier, how they handle the parcel, and the results of that.. 

Edited by James J Johnson

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

SCS. Looks to me like Jim Carrey may have been the carrier. We can't downplay the missing, and maybe the weakest link, between the collector and CGC. The carrier, how they handle the parcel, and the results of that.. 

I agree completely.  The design of the cases has never been good for transport by most carriers.  It's really just basic physics.  If the comic can move in the case, it will get damaged in transport from time to time.

7 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I agree completely.  The design of the cases has never been good for transport by most carriers.  It's really just basic physics.  If the comic can move in the case, it will get damaged in transport from time to time.

It's also typical for the the "kick" on each end of the horizontal well rails at the corners typically leaves an indelible and permanent impression on the top and bottom edge/corners of any comic encapsulated that has overhang! Even with a pressing, revision of that impression is a daunting task! With a high degree of accuracy, I can identify raw books that have at one time been stored in a well/slab. Another design flaw. Let's face it, anytime the edge of a comic impacts a hard rail, the potential for damage is present, and the more overhang a comic has, the more of the cover extending beyond the pages present, the greater the chance and type of damage that will occur. 

On 9/29/2020 at 1:03 PM, ckwfceu8y04ay said:

I'm not surprised, as the quality control at CGC has been total garbage lately.  Both the books I sent in for the Claremont signing came back damaged and a completely incorrect label (how does this get out the door?).  I sent them back in to hopefully get them fixed (pressed) a month ago with an "expedited" turnaround and they're still sitting in received status.  

It seems they care more about getting new signings queued up then actually fixing the problems they caused.  This is not the same company it was a year ago.

This ^^^^^

I legit just came here after seeing someone in a FB group post a fresh 9.8 sig series that was slabbed upside down. How does that get out the door?! Lots of QC horror stories have been popping up since the private signings started to ramp up. I commend CGC for coordinating these and giving collectors something to get excited about while shows are on hiatus, but it's very clear they aren't prepared to handle the volume they're doing at the TAT's they're promising.

I also just received my JSC books and one of them came back with a "bonus" color-breaking spine tick that wasn't there when I sent it in, and of course right on the one small swatch of black. Easy 9.8 became a 9.6. It's a low monetary value book, but one I wanted for my PC nonetheless. I had been sitting on a few copies for a couple of years waiting for a chance to get one signed, so thanks CGC. (Also could not have been damaged in transit; I subbed multiple books and the way they were packed it wouldn't be possible for only one to have this kind of damage). 

I've been building up a box of blue label subs and was waiting to send them in until the private signing rush died down a bit and TAT got better, but now I'm debating where they're even being sent. 

On 11/3/2020 at 6:21 PM, James J Johnson said:

It's also typical for the the "kick" on each end of the horizontal well rails at the corners typically leaves an indelible and permanent impression on the top and bottom edge/corners of any comic encapsulated that has overhang! Even with a pressing, revision of that impression is a daunting task! With a high degree of accuracy, I can identify raw books that have at one time been stored in a well/slab. Another design flaw. Let's face it, anytime the edge of a comic impacts a hard rail, the potential for damage is present, and the more overhang a comic has, the more of the cover extending beyond the pages present, the greater the chance and type of damage that will occur. 

Back in the olden days, CGC used to reject books with a prominent cover overhang (they probably still do). But as you've pointed out, the hazards of shipping books have increased exponentially over the years. It's reached the point where I have to package everything as if I expect it to be run over by a bus...   

Edited by The Lions Den

On 11/2/2020 at 6:34 PM, robotur said:

The response I got from CGC was to send it to them again. No explanation about how the same book could have been damaged by CGC twice.

The 2nd crease looks like it breaks color so not sure how that will be fixed. extremely frustrating given I have to wait at least another month to get the book back and probably in lesser condition than i originally submitted it.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, where each reslabbing results in more damage?

I haven't. But that would certainly be very frustrating...

On 11/3/2020 at 6:21 PM, James J Johnson said:

That’s why I advocate storing books spine side down. 

Its been over a month since I resubmitted my X-men giant size #1 to be reslabbed for a 3rd time by CGC. No response or explanation on why it was damaged twice before.  the only thing I got from them was to send it back and to wait.  

I am relatively new to submitted books and have only submitted about 100 books so far but is it normal for CGC to reslab books 3 times to finally get it right or should we be blaming the post office?

Hopefully this will be the last time I reslab this book.  will post pics once it comes in.

1 hour ago, robotur said:

Its been over a month since I resubmitted my X-men giant size #1 to be reslabbed for a 3rd time by CGC. No response or explanation on why it was damaged twice before.  the only thing I got from them was to send it back and to wait.  

I am relatively new to submitted books and have only submitted about 100 books so far but is it normal for CGC to reslab books 3 times to finally get it right or should we be blaming the post office?

Hopefully this will be the last time I reslab this book.  will post pics once it comes in.

Nope, not normal at all...but these are not normal times, either...  

I got the 3rd slabbing book of the x-men giant size #1 and the book now has permanent damage to the upper right corner which breaks color.  I am at a lost as to what to do next given CGCs unresponsiveness to this issue.

Does anyone have any advice or am I just stuck with a book CGC damaged? see original and reslab book pics.  if this was $100 book i wouldn't care but this book has significant value.

need help.

20201203_130710.jpg

original x-men giant size.jpg

30 minutes ago, robotur said:

I got the 3rd slabbing book of the x-men giant size #1 and the book now has permanent damage to the upper right corner which breaks color.  I am at a lost as to what to do next given CGCs unresponsiveness to this issue.

Does anyone have any advice or am I just stuck with a book CGC damaged? see original and reslab book pics.  if this was $100 book i wouldn't care but this book has significant value.

need help.

20201203_130710.jpg

original x-men giant size.jpg

damn that sucks honestly I dont see how you can fix that damage I really hope you can solve this problem. 

CGC has stated they will take back the book at the value I submitted at however this book is a holy grail book for me.  I do not want to sell it. In addition, I had asked for CGC to give me a call however nothing from CGC.

is it normal for CGC to damage books and NOT take accountability.  It is a fact the book was damaged by CGC twice during encapsulation.  see pics however CGC continues to avoid trying to compensate for the damages.

does anyone have any suggestions?  

4 minutes ago, robotur said:

CGC has stated they will take back the book at the value I submitted at however this book is a holy grail book for me.  I do not want to sell it. In addition, I had asked for CGC to give me a call however nothing from CGC.

is it normal for CGC to damage books and NOT take accountability.  It is a fact the book was damaged by CGC twice during encapsulation.  see pics however CGC continues to avoid trying to compensate for the damages.

does anyone have any suggestions?  

I'm extremely saddened to see this happen to your book and I'm very sorry it turned out this way. And if they're willing to pay you for the book and you refuse their offer, that's usually the final option...  :(