• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing OA group picture...!
1 1

91 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

Altruistic sentiment and admired truly. However you’re speaking to a crowd that goes a year eating only Ramen so they can take down a Finch X-Men cover.

Not sure most folks ready to leave their property er art to the “care” of a museum for the benefit of mankind. Especially when they don’t keep their word sometimes to those that donate.

Syracuse Art Museum 2020

Berkshire Museum 2018

Honestly, I doubt that the bulk of the public will care about most of this stuff we consider museum-worthy. A lot of the pricing is wrapped in nostalgia best appreciated by comic fans, and in my view, the detailing on perceived quality is mostly appreciated by aficionados. To the public, I think this is almost as remote as Chinese calligraphy, except that we can recognize the characters. I am not saying they won’t appreciate something by Jim Lee, but, they might not see much of a difference between him and Eddie Barrows. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

Honestly, I doubt that the bulk of the public will care about most of this stuff we consider museum-worthy. A lot of the pricing is wrapped in nostalgia best appreciated by comic fans, and in my view, the detailing on perceived quality is mostly appreciated by aficionados. To the public, I think this is almost as remote as Chinese calligraphy, except that we can recognize the characters. I am not saying they won’t appreciate something by Jim Lee, but, they might not see much of a difference between him and Eddie Barrows. 

Well that’s kind of the point of dragging the fine art museums down into our dirty little world of comic art appreciation. You see museums are crying about a number of issues including lack of funding, lack of diverse art and “egads” a general loss of interest in patronage of the fine arts.

So a Jackson Pollock can be liquidated to fund a broader sampling of work from around the world. A once roundly regarded modern masterpiece will disappear into a private collection in exchange for funds to buy the new masterpieces.

Pollock exchanged for Banksy? Or funds to put together a show for a chimpanzee who throws dung at a blank canvass. 

Kirby exchanged  for Finch?

Hell...Andrew Wyeth cast aside for Jackson Guice 😂

Whose to say in the near future the new and improved museum won’t include our trashy gems?

Think on it my friend.

The Phantom Stranger alongside Da Vinci.

10 hours ago, grapeape said:

So glad you feel this way. I never understood those who have art just to privately “self worship.” 

I understand tactical reasons: make it disappear so it looks “fresh” when it comes to market. That’s a Wall Street heart.

I understand security concerns: still with great power and great collections comes great personal responsibility. Display but protect.

But I’ll never understand the selfish heart that won’t share beauty (perceived) with others.

You have given us a great gift Dinesh and plenty to laugh, drool dream and worry about!

🍇+🦍

I don't share much. I don't care for it. I don't buy it to share with others. I put art on my walls, portfolios, and that is it. So, let me take the contrarian view and share some reasons for not sharing art with others (not all pertain to how I feel):

Time: sharing requires time to post or set up a CAF. It takes time to learn about CAF in the first place. Time is money. That is THE main reason I don't have a CAF.

Individualism: some people don't like being part of groups. Frankly, OA collecting is a hobby for male (white?) middle-aged men. Not the kind of demographic that many people are willing to serve with shared beauty.

individual_without_enough_empathys: sometimes, it takes one individual_without_enough_empathy for somebody to turn sour on the entire OA community. This board is amazingly free of individual_without_enough_empathys (that I can tell), but predatory sellers and collectors roam the community. Avoiding them takes time and knowledge. 

There should be many more reasons. I am not a black hole collector, but in a spectrum that goes from black hole to sharing everything, I am purposely closer to the former.

1 hour ago, bernoulli said:

Individualism: some people don't like being part of groups. Frankly, OA collecting is a hobby for male (white?) middle-aged men. Not the kind of demographic that many people are willing to serve with shared beauty.

Racially our community is quite diverse, both on these boards and on CAF.  Gender- and age-wise, I'm afraid not as diverse.

It's fine being an asocial (I don't say anti-social) collector.  There are plenty as far as I can tell.  Humans... different strokes for different folks.  I don't think good grape+ape was referring to them as "selfish" as a collective.

1 hour ago, bernoulli said:

I don't share much. I don't care for it. I don't buy it to share with others. I put art on my walls, portfolios, and that is it. So, let me take the contrarian view and share some reasons for not sharing art with others (not all pertain to how I feel):

Time: sharing requires time to post or set up a CAF. It takes time to learn about CAF in the first place. Time is money. That is THE main reason I don't have a CAF.

individual_without_enough_empathys: sometimes, it takes one individual_without_enough_empathy for somebody to turn sour on the entire OA community. This board is amazingly free of individual_without_enough_empathys (that I can tell), but predatory sellers and collectors roam the community. Avoiding them takes time and knowledge. 

There should be many more reasons. I am not a black hole collector, but in a spectrum that goes from black hole to sharing everything, I am purposely closer to the former.

Concerns of time would certainly be a legit reason to not display art.

Avoiding predators, I assume unscrupulous or pushy inquiries into the availability of your art also a legit reason not to display.

“Not the kind of demographic that many people are willing to serve with shared beauty.” Absolutely disagree with that sentiment but respect your opinion none the less.

Not wanting to be part of a group. Legit although I can think of twenty characters on this board right off the bat who mainly keep to themselves but chime in as they feel compelled to do so:

Examples: point out fake artist attributed work

Correct misinformation with facts 

Address outlandish or unscrupulous behavior

I’m glad you chimed in. You almost sound like a collector that would be open to posting some art under the right conditions. Even if that never happens I look forward to any further contributions you’d like to make on the boards.

Cheers,

Grapeape

43 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Well that’s kind of the point of dragging the fine art museums down into our dirty little world of comic art appreciation. You see museums are crying about a number of issues including lack of funding, lack of diverse art and “egads” a general loss of interest in patronage of the fine arts.

So a Jackson Pollock can be liquidated to fund a broader sampling of work from around the world. A once roundly regarded modern masterpiece will disappear into a private collection in exchange for funds to buy the new masterpieces.

Pollock exchanged for Banksy? Or funds to put together a show for a chimpanzee who throws dung at a blank canvass. 

Kirby exchanged  for Finch?

Hell...Andrew Wyeth cast aside for Jackson Guice 😂

Whose to say in the near future the new and improved museum won’t include our trashy gems?

Think on it my friend.

The Phantom Stranger alongside Da Vinci.

Well, the Phantom Stranger always did like mausoleums.

But to your point, those all qualify as fine art in the sense that story telling isn’t relevant nor is the picture’s backstory. That makes all of them, even Banksy, more accessible. And, not just for viewers but curators. This hobby collects things with way too much baggage for the average person to enjoy.

8 hours ago, bernoulli said:

It really doesn't take much time to learn how to post on CAF. I will also say being a CAF Premium Member is probably the best investment :banana:you can make in this hobby. Quick example, a dealer posted a piece a few weeks ago and because I had that artist as one of my Keylist words, I was notified immediately. I saw the page and 5 minutes later I purchased it. The next day the dealer said that he had someone else interested and they would pay $300 more than I did and if I didn't want to buy it, he would send me the $300. I decided to keep the page, but I could have got the $300 and paid for 3 years worth of CAF.

More importantly, one reason to share comic original art is simply, the art in its black and white form is not published. By that I mean, most art (and I do have a lot of paintings), is published very similar to how it actually looks (maybe some photo manipulation). On the other hand, unless the art is sold by Heritage (and maybe Comiclink), it's possible that no actual picture of that art exist in it's B&W form. Yes, most art that has been sold, someone might have kept a picture and it's on a social media platform, but not necessarily. Just pointing that out.hm

Another reason to share art.

Making contacts.

Again I truly understand the desire to go it alone. Still what a boost it’s been to my collection, the people I’ve met through networking CGC, CAF etc. I’ve scored beautiful pieces of art I wouldn’t have located otherwise. I’ve tracked down treasures not listed publicly. I’ve also traded and sold pages to nurture my addiction.

31 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Another reason to share art.

Making contacts.

Again I truly understand the desire to go it alone. Still what a boost it’s been to my collection, the people I’ve met through networking CGC, CAF etc. I’ve scored beautiful pieces of art I wouldn’t have located otherwise. I’ve tracked down treasures not listed publicly. I’ve also traded and sold pages to nurture my addiction.

1000% correct on the contacts and how that has made my collection grow. ^^

When I see a cool piece pop up that will be snatched up quickly, I ask, do I want it and can afford it? If the answer is no to either, I think which of my collector friends would be interested and I immediately drop them a message with the link to the piece. I do like spending my friends money!

Two or three of my cornerstone pieces where passed along to me in the same manner, and I am grateful that my friends were looking out for me.

Be active and put the art where it needs to be.

10 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Well, the Phantom Stranger always did like mausoleums.

But to your point, those all qualify as fine art in the sense that story telling isn’t relevant nor is the picture’s backstory. That makes all of them, even Banksy, more accessible. And, not just for viewers but curators. This hobby collects things with way too much baggage for the average person to enjoy.

Devil's advocate hat on.  You know, I actually think an OA exhibition with the most "classic" art -- covers, splashes, panel pages what have you -- would do extremely well at a MoMA or even a grittier museum, e.g. the New Museum in NY.

Let's face it, many attendees aren't impressed by / can't recognize the vast majority of art displayed on a given day.  Vintage art of Marvel Studios TM heroes, on the other hand, sequential or not... I think a ton of folks would eat it up, and even if not overly impressed, would at least come away satisfied at being able to connect more (historical) dots than before.

Edited by exitmusicblue

4 minutes ago, vodou said:

My turn.

How many "outside comics" went to see Bruce and Samuel in this and then got "into" comic art?

Category:Villains | Unbreakable Wiki | FANDOM powered by WikiaAnswer: probably a few, but 20 years later I've yet to meet a single one.

Really, a few?  I'd think 1-2 max. : >

The point isn't to convert the masses.

The point is to be sassy...

12 minutes ago, vodou said:

My turn.

How many "outside comics" went to see Bruce and Samuel in this and then got "into" comic art?

Category:Villains | Unbreakable Wiki | FANDOM powered by WikiaAnswer: probably a few, but 20 years later I've yet to meet a single one.

I like this movie anyhow but I remember revisiting it after one or two years of collecting to check out this scene. No very realistic. This is how the film represents buying OA: Directly from a gallery. By appointment only. Must wear suit. Sassy gallery owner.

This then-22 YO was like um no thank you.

"Yes, the Disney-Marvel merchant industrial complex that you all know and love started so unglamorously.  Well, it still spawned a rabid nerd collector community that you rightfully don't care to meet.  Wtf is an exitmusicblue, a vodou.  Yet many of you will still enjoy this art more than the deconstructed toilet around the corner with half-eaten banana twirling along its cold seat.  Damn, it just blew up."

Edit: This is why OA should take over a MoMA some day.

Edited by exitmusicblue

4 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Devil's advocate hat on.  You know, I actually think an OA exhibition with the most "classic" art -- covers, splashes, panel pages what have you -- would do extremely well at a MoMA or even a grittier museum, e.g. the New Museum in NY.

Let's face it, many attendees aren't impressed by / can't recognize the vast majority of art displayed on a given day.  Vintage art of Marvel Studios TM heroes, on the other hand, sequential or not... I think a ton of folks would eat it up, and even if not overly impressed, would at least come away satisfied at being able to connect more (historical) dots than before.

My volley.

An exhibit might draw crowds, hell, anything different can draw a crowd. So can circus freaks. The real question is whether there can be an exhibition on permanent display in which people are so interested they want to own some panel pages. Splashes and covers don’t count; they get sucked up like a Lichtenstein. But sequential art requires interest in the subject beyond the simple face of the page. Throw in a character’s backstory, to appreciate what is going on, and you are asking the general public to make a significant commitment of time (at least several minutes with Wikipedia 😧).