• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing OA group picture...!
1 1

91 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

My volley.

An exhibit might draw crowds, hell, anything different can draw a crowd. So can circus freaks. The real question is whether there can be an exhibition on permanent display in which people are so interested they want to own some panel pages. Splashes and covers don’t count; they get sucked up like a Lichtenstein. But sequential art requires interest in the subject beyond the simple face of the page. Throw in a character’s backstory, to appreciate what is going on, and you are asking the general public to make a significant commitment of time (at least several minutes with Wikipedia 😧).

Guilty as charged, oftentimes I baaaarely skim through books (esp. dialogue) where I care more about the art than the story... would expect no better no less of the general public. Action pages?  They've got a shot with viewers, especially the first instance or three.  No one's saying Sandman or Watchmen would be included in a hypothetical exhibition... I surely wouldn't insist, personal tastes notwithstanding.

Circus freaks?  I'll take it. Bring on the muties! lol

Edited by exitmusicblue

7 hours ago, vodou said:

My turn.

How many "outside comics" went to see Bruce and Samuel in this and then got "into" comic art?

Category:Villains | Unbreakable Wiki | FANDOM powered by WikiaAnswer: probably a few, but 20 years later I've yet to meet a single one.

I don’t know the answer to that. I just remember turning to my friend (fellow art collector) and giving him a high five in the movie theater when SLJ sent the dad home without the artwork for his young son!

Mr. Glass could never work for Los Bros.

For those without memories of the 90s Original Art scene, there once was a time when Comic Art was sold in some niche brick and mortar art galleries.

As I recall Mitch with Graphic Collectibles had one on NYC for a bit.

4 Color Galleries in NYC sold me some stuff incredible painted color pieces before they closed up shop. Bought art from McKean there. My Alex Ross Kingdom Come art came from them. My cover to From Hell was bought there, etc.

Scott Eder was still running one up until COVID erupted. It used to be in Brooklyn, and then moved to Jersey last I checked.
https://www.manacontemporary.com/editorial/scott-eder-gallery/

There used to be one in Georgetown in D.C. that did comic art and cartoon cels for a while.

Now they weren’t super elitist suit and tie minimalist snobby affairs. They were sort of like any other local art gallery selling whatever local painterly talent they managed to represent, plus whatever other stock they could get their hands on. Just with a comic book angle. Most of them had “shows” where they would feature a certain release, or artist’s body of work. Much of it contemporary rather than vintage works.

So that scene isn’t quite so incongruous as it might seem to modern eyes. 

Edited by ESeffinga

On 9/26/2020 at 9:47 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Aparo has done much more "artistic" pages, with nice splashes, etc., but as a self-contained little scene, I think this is tough to beat. The pacing, and the romantic elements of the story are well balanced by the simple panel layout, and focused content, with the grand finale at the end (or "only the beginning" as the case may be). That's the sequential aspect of OA which differentiates if from Fine Art. Yes, I have more flamboyant panel pages, particularly with action sequences, but they would turn a powerful story line into melodrama if used in this context, and this one already runs perilously close to that line. A less skilled artist would have crossed it. It could be said I overpaid for this piece, if measured purely as "art", but as sequential art, I love it.

47AparoV2i26p16.thumb.jpg.6b04a6c3e365ef8cb83a86d617219664.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761imageproxy.php?img=&key=c846ed7a40be7761

No way you overpaid. This is an excellent page. Point well made. I’ve overpaid for art that I didn’t love. Like my early romances before marrying the lovely Mrs. Grape I invested time money and effort into beauty without love. Regrets? I had a few.

I would leave each morning without saying goodbye to those early purchases. It got ugly. I didn’t know how to get out of those bad buy relationships.  

Mrs. Grape has my heart 30 years later.

And all those bad relationships, flesh, canvas or pen and ink are distant memories for ol Grapeape.

To art!

To love!!

Edited by grapeape

On 9/26/2020 at 12:45 AM, ESeffinga said:

For those without memories of the 90s Original Art scene, there once was a time when Comic Art was sold in some niche brick and mortar art galleries.

As I recall Mitch with Graphic Collectibles had one on NYC for a bit.

4 Color Galleries in NYC sold me some stuff incredible painted color pieces before they closed up shop. Bought art from McKean there. My Alex Ross Kingdom Come art came from them. My cover to From Hell was bought there, etc.

Scott Eder was still running one up until COVID erupted. It used to be in Brooklyn, and then moved to Jersey last I checked.
https://www.manacontemporary.com/editorial/scott-eder-gallery/

There used to be one in Georgetown in D.C. that did comic art and cartoon cels for a while.

Now they weren’t super elitist suit and tie minimalist snobby affairs. They were sort of like any other local art gallery selling whatever local painterly talent they managed to represent, plus whatever other stock they could get their hands on. Just with a comic book angle. Most of them had “shows” where they would feature a certain release, or artist’s body of work. Much of it contemporary rather than vintage works.

So that scene isn’t quite so incongruous as it might seem to modern eyes. 

Oy, don’t remind me. 

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

One of the things I have noticed about this board— no trolls. No consistently annoying people, who seem to be more interested in being disruptive instead of helpful. Spats? Sure. Wiseacre cracks? Guilty. But no meanness of spirit. No skunks.

Kudos to all for a great experience.🍺👍

If someone like that showed up, I'm sure we'd run 'em out of town.  And it'd be glorious.