• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternatives to Selling on eBay
1 1

25 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, cigars&comix said:

yes im familiar - i found it to be a lot of back and forth messaging. im looking for a more tradition marketplace with a checkout cart, order management, like amazon, etsy, overstock, etc.

Mycomicshop is pretty great for that. You consign all your items there and you can choose to either put them on auction or buy it now. You do have to send them your comics though.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Mycomicshop is pretty great for that. You consign all your items there and you can choose to either put them on auction or buy it now. You do have to send them your comics though.

I dont have to send my comics? really? so its like a 3rd party drop-ship model? or am i getting it wrong..

You send them your books, they list them o  their site, as well as ebay. They grade, store, and advertise your book. Then ship it for you when it sells. It's pretty close to drop shipping,

and they charge 10 per cent, although there is a $7 minimum charge per sale so it doesn't make sense to send them $10 books. You can also bundle books and sell them at auction, although they take 25% for that. 

I've had very good results selling through them.

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

You send them your books, they list them o  their site, as well as ebay. They grade, store, and advertise your book. Then ship it for you when it sells. It's pretty close to drop shipping,

and they charge 10 per cent, although there is a $7 minimum charge per sale so it doesn't make sense to send them $10 books. You can also bundle books and sell them at auction, although they take 25% for that. 

sounds like its better for books $70 and up then the 10% makes sense. I looked into it a while back and it didnt make sense to me.

4 hours ago, cigars&comix said:
4 hours ago, shadroch said:

sounds like its better for books $70 and up then the 10% makes sense. I looked into it a while back and it didnt make sense to me.

honestly if you're looking to move individual low-dollar value books there simply aren't that many options because the venue needs to be able to move HEAVY volume to make it worth it for them, they have to take on some potential level of responsibility (and customer service) for each sale, and most of that air has been sucked up by ebay, they make it easier to use than nearly anything else, and have ubiquitous name recognition.  Your best chances are consignment places like mycomicshop or comiclink, but if you're selling nice $10-$20 raw comics it still may not work out that well for you. 

If you have enough comics you can start your own website.  Also, lots of people make decent money selling on facebook or Instagram, its a little bit easier on facebook than it was before.  But no where else has the simple user friendly platform that ebay has (for good reason), though of course they're not perfect.  

Essentially, its a matter of individual priorities.  

5 hours ago, cigars&comix said:

No. Do the math. If you sell a book for $30 on ebay, between your time and fees, it will cost you more than 7.00.  Unless, of course, your time is worthless. 

1 hour ago, revat said:

honestly if you're looking to move individual low-dollar value books there simply aren't that many options because the venue needs to be able to move HEAVY volume to make it worth it for them, they have to take on some potential level of responsibility (and customer service) for each sale, and most of that air has been sucked up by ebay, they make it easier to use than nearly anything else, and have ubiquitous name recognition.  Your best chances are consignment places like mycomicshop or comiclink, but if you're selling nice $10-$20 raw comics it still may not work out that well for you. 

If you have enough comics you can start your own website.  Also, lots of people make decent money selling on facebook or Instagram, its a little bit easier on facebook than it was before.  But no where else has the simple user friendly platform that ebay has (for good reason), though of course they're not perfect.  

Essentially, its a matter of individual priorities.  

Im actually considering a shopify site with an ebay integration as an option. will cost me about $70-80 a month for both But it may be worth it. Im doing the volume and Im constantly buying, so I have tons of books.

6 hours ago, shadroch said:

That seems like a great deal if you don't have to deal with shipping and returns.  

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

It is. Whenever I do plan on selling more of my books, that's the place I'll go. Of course, if I have a big ticket  GA book, I will try these boards first.

I have thought the reverse.  If I decide to ever start parting with some big ticket items I would set my price and hold onto that price offering it on Comiclink's and Metropolis' exchange.  If I wanted $10,000 for something I will only agree to a sale of $11,000 for the item to accommodate for the 10% commission they charge.  

This way, all I am responsible for is getting it to Comiclink.  Once they inspect and verify that it is the real deal, responsibility falls upon them. 

• If someone's significant other flips out that they spent $10,000 on old newsprint, that is for Comiclink to worry about, I have already been paid and they will put it in their auction. 
  • If someone claims that they never received it after Comiclink ships it to them, that is for Comiclink to worry about.

Things like that.   I have seen too many games over the years.  So I would prefer to have a third party involved. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I have thought the reverse.  If I decide to ever start parting with some big ticket items I would set my price and hold onto that price offering it on Comiclink's and Metropolis' exchange.  If I wanted $10,000 for something I will only agree to a sale of $11,000 for the item to accommodate for the 10% commission they charge.  

This way, all I am responsible for is getting it to Comiclink.  Once they inspect and verify that it is the real deal, responsibility falls upon them. 

• If someone's significant other flips out that they spent $10,000 on old newsprint, that is for Comiclink to worry about, I have already been paid and they will put it in their auction. 
  • If someone claims that they never received it after Comiclink ships it to them, that is for Comiclink to worry about.

Things like that.   I have seen too many games over the years.  So I would prefer to have a third party involved. 

good advise

17 hours ago, William-James88 said:

This is my favorite place to sell. I use Comic Link for most Bronze and all my Silver Age, but MCS for 90% of my sales 

Yes, I am always checking MCS for things to buy.  I have been fortunate to pick up some great things over the years.  They run a no-nonsense and tight ship for a company their size.