• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Spider-man #316 - Added Back Cover Image
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Been looking for a good deal on a decent raw copy, and this suddenly became available locally so I jumped on it.  The seller had graded it a VF-, which I guess is 7.5 in CGC speak...  I haven't seen the back cover yet, but unless the rear is a complete disaster, then I thought it might even look a bit better than 7.5?

Amazing Spider-man-316-MINE_VF.jpg

There appear to be a few minor spine ticks, and the corners could be sharper, but does anyone else notice any defects that I'm missing?

EDIT:  Here's the back cover.  And, yep, you can definitely see the spine ticks more clearly on the rear end thanks to the solid white background...  And looking at the front again, I can definitely see tics at the same locations, but the indentations look even less severe on the cover, and most don't appear to break colour?  

Anyway, still happy with the acquisition, and if I'd seen the back cover before purchase I would have bought the book anyway :)  This will likely remain in my personal collection, so not too worried about resale and just like to know that I got a fair or better deal!

Amazing Spiderman 316_MyCopy_BackCover_cropped.jpg

Edited by StreetPreacher

2 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

The front cover suggests a grade of at least 7.5 nice copy

Thanks for the peace of mind, I grabbed it for around $60 USD, so I'm happy I waited it out and didn't jump on the $105 copy that I kept seeing that had a corner crease on the front cover, that after further inspection looked to potentially have been caused by water damage visible on the back cover...

Hopefully the back cover doesn't have crayon scribbles all over it or something! lol

Now if I could just to find a copy of #300 for the same price...

Edited by StreetPreacher

10 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Assuming the back is white and no stains or creases, I think this book has 9.0 or a smidge higher potential. Also, pages hopefully white/off-white. I know some of these ASM issues can start getting tannish/brown on the pages edges. 

Fingers crossed!  It's currently in my 'hold box' at CaptCan comics so I'll see if I can get them to send a scan of the back cover.  The store has this cool online option that allows you to buy books whenever they list something you like, but instead of shipping immediately, you can just have them hold all the books until you've filled a $12/25 issue shipping box, or whenever you figure you've spent enough money ;)   It's nice to be able to maximize the shipping cost without being forced to buy 25 books at once.

And I have no affiliation with this store, I actually just found out about it yesterday.

Can't you just delete messages?  I added the back cover image to my firs post, so this message was redundant...  I just don't see an option to delete in the editing options?

Well I might as well use it for something I guess.  Does anyone know how/if books with the UK pricing included makes any difference to grading and/or resale value?  I actually noticed while taking a closer look, that this book has the UK price included, and then I just noticed that even a few Spider-Man back issues I bought from the LCS recently also have UK pricing?  

I'm in Canada, so sharing book releases with England isn't all that strange, but I'm pretty sure that most comics I bought in Canada only have USA/CAN pricing printed on the comics? 

Edited by StreetPreacher

Thanks, that's exactly what it was advertised as, so I'm very happy with the deal.

One question, does it look like this book has already been pressed?  For some reason the spine ticks visible on the back cover appear that they might have been worse, and someone has already tried to eliminate the indentations via pressing, but these results are the best they could do?  It just looks like EVERY spine tick indentation has the exact same depth?