• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

strange dream

22 posts in this topic

So, I had this bizarre and scary dream last night that the grading system was totally turned upside down and I can definitely see it happening. Instead of having these .5 increments of condition until you get into the 9.0 stuff, the grading industry begins to grade by the tenth point. So, a 5.5 could become a 5.6, or .7 or .8,, or . 3.  That would change the valuation , it would change the Overstreet stuff, GPA  would get stood on its head and there would be tons of people mulling over whether to resubmit  comics. Think of the auctions. 

I can genuinely see this happening.  No more single malts before bed. 

3 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

So, I had this bizarre and scary dream last night that the grading system was totally turned upside down and I can definitely see it happening. Instead of having these .5 increments of condition until you get into the 9.0 stuff, the grading industry begins to grade by the tenth point. So, a 5.5 could become a 5.6, or .7 or .8,, or . 3.  That would change the valuation , it would change the Overstreet stuff, GPA  would get stood on its head and there would be tons of people mulling over whether to resubmit  comics. Think of the auctions. 

I can genuinely see this happening.  No more single malts before bed. 

Not trying to hate or anything but that’s a really bad idea 😂 would mess up a whole lot and make the graders jobs a nightmare and take even longer to get a graded comic back

I just put it out there. A long time ago I was in a chain grocery store and I suggested to a manager , after watch product go through the check out that it wouldn't be very hard to take the bar code from something really cheap and stick it on filet Mignon. He became very upset.  As he got more upset and denied that it could happen, I came around to my thoughts about grading comics. 

I don't care what forum it pops up in. Why do you suppose that we have a differentiation between 9.0 and 10.0?  It appears nowhere else yet the conversation constantly revolves around trying to push a grade on a book and that is for financial betterment.  It's not for bragging.  So, if you do accept that ( perhaps you dont)  then why is it so odd to consider it when the grade might be a 4.5 as opposed to a 4.7, or .9?  I recognize it's a grading nightmare but it already is or it would not get the attention it gets.  Occasionally boats need to get rocked. It really was in a dream. I have no (ZERO) vested interest in this. My collection is sold and gone aside fro the JIM/Thor and I kept it because ( silly me) I just loved it.  My son will get it when I kick off. He thinks Hela is hot. 

30 minutes ago, Foley said:

Pretty sure you’re in the wrong forum. 

Also, your stories don’t add up. Did you have a dream about this last night or think it up in the grocery store? :baiting:

There's absolutely nothing in what I said to support your observation. The observation about the grocery store was about moving bar codes. The  time lapse between the grocery store experience and this observation were over 20 years. 

Edited by Glassman10

24 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

There's absolutely nothing in what I said to support your observation. The observation about the grocery store was about moving bar codes. The  time lapse between the grocery store experience and this observation were over 20 years. 

I’m only messing with you, but this sentence:

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

As he got more upset and denied that it could happen, I came around to my thoughts about grading comics. 

Made it seem like you had the idea in the grocery store. 

34 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

My collection is sold and gone aside fro the JIM/Thor and I kept it because ( silly me) I just loved it.  My son will get it when I kick off. He thinks Hela is hot. 

Yeah, I know. I think you’ve mentioned the AF15 5.0 you sold through Bob Storms once or a few hundred times. :baiting:

13 hours ago, Foley said:

Yeah, I know. I think you’ve mentioned the AF15 5.0 you sold through Bob Storms once or a few hundred times. :baiting:

You are the only one mentioning it I notice.  Jealous or something that Bob does so well? 

12 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I think the current grading system is near perfection. The problem is consistency and stronger definitions for the grades. That and if you are gonna treat a Golden Age book different than a modern, that should be noted.

I agree. Silver age is treated with a more casual grading than anything in the bronze age and newer in my estimation.  Grading to a degree is a lot like being a baseball umpire. Standards may exist but the final grade comes down to the grader. If it was not wedded to financial value, it would not matter much. 

Edited by Glassman10

14 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I don't care what forum it pops up in. Why do you suppose that we have a differentiation between 9.0 and 10.0?  It appears nowhere else yet the conversation constantly revolves around trying to push a grade on a book and that is for financial betterment.  It's not for bragging.  So, if you do accept that ( perhaps you dont)  then why is it so odd to consider it when the grade might be a 4.5 as opposed to a 4.7, or .9?  I recognize it's a grading nightmare but it already is or it would not get the attention it gets.  Occasionally boats need to get rocked. It really was in a dream. I have no (ZERO) vested interest in this. My collection is sold and gone aside fro the JIM/Thor and I kept it because ( silly me) I just loved it.  My son will get it when I kick off. He thinks Hela is hot. 

What you propose seems to be the logical progression for grading in our hobby. It could certainly be used for books above 9.0. Graders are often in between grades when they're in this area...

Edited by The Lions Den

I mean, I know it would only complicate things but I almost think that books should have some other indicator. So like a gold star 9.6 means its a golden age book graded by golden age standards. Silver star for silver, copper star for copper, whatever star for modern. So you know that well a gold star 9.6 if it were a modern, might only be a 9.0. 

Maybe that is a terrible idea but its all I've got at 8am. 

5 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

You are the only one mentioning it I notice.  Jealous or something that Bob does so well? 

First off, I could happily listen to that story 100 more times. I was one of the folks who requested a retelling... i read it to my kids at bedtime to prove dreams really can come try. 

And secondly, yes, I'm jealous. So very jealous!  

5 hours ago, KCOComics said:

First off, I could happily listen to that story 100 more times. I was one of the folks who requested a retelling... i read it to my kids at bedtime to prove dreams really can come try. 

And secondly, yes, I'm jealous. So very jealous!  

It is a good story but do recognize that I don't repeat it again and again.  It's out there and some folks have not heard it at all. That's what the archives are for I suppose. I'm simply surprised that someone wants to make an issue of it  after two and a half  years. That's a long time to stew on something to the point of bringing it up again that really is not a current issue.  I still think Bob is great, that hasn't changed. 

As to the grading, it was dream but it's worth asking why one would be happy with .5 increments for all grades but the 9.0 and up. I see that as a money maker for the graders. They seem to like making money down there. If you had a 5.0 but it was super close to a 5.5, would you  want to resubmit if you thought it got you a 5.4?  How about a 6.9 as opposed to a 7.0?  On high value books that's significant. Further, I take note that the higher the grade, the more it costs to get it graded. So, someone pays attention to it. 

It indeed would drive a lot of people nuts. 

23 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I mean, I know it would only complicate things but I almost think that books should have some other indicator. So like a gold star 9.6 means its a golden age book graded by golden age standards. Silver star for silver, copper star for copper, whatever star for modern. So you know that well a gold star 9.6 if it were a modern, might only be a 9.0. 

Maybe that is a terrible idea but its all I've got at 8am. 

Or, why suddenly drop to .2 changes in grade at 9.0? Why not stay consistent and have 9.5, 10.0, 10.5 , and 11.00. It then is half points all the way.  I like the notion of the stars. 

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Or, why suddenly drop to .2 changes in grade at 9.0? Why not stay consistent and have 9.5, 10.0, 10.5 , and 11.00. It then is half points all the way.  I like the notion of the stars. 

I feel as you narrow in on the perfect comic, it makes sense to have graded closer together. I’m fine with the current 9.0,9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 format. What gets me is that I don’t get 9.9 versus 10. If it’s perfect give it a 10. If it’s minor imperfection then it’s 9.8

..which is why I would suggest that keeping the .5 increment structure as it is. If there's a difference between a 9.8 and say a 9.9 and that really affeects value and braggin rights, whiy not have that throughout the system or at the least starting around an 8.0 which is not easy either. 8.5 is a long ways from a 9.0. An 8.9 isn't