• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Experiment in Restoration Removal, was it worth it?
5 5

52 posts in this topic

So here we are. 

The experiment. 

Buy a color touch (C1) book, get the color touch removed and see how much of a grade drop it gets as a result. 

Doing this with a Sig Series book since some of the books value exists outside of the book condition but with who signed it, lets see if this helps me still come out ahead. 

The book in question is a CGC SS 9.0 ASM 129 with 3 signatures (Romita/Thomas/Conway)

Paid $900 which seemed ok in terms of GPA. 

I know that it's gonna drop in grade because in order to remove the color touch they will have to scrape it off. The hope is it stays above a 6.5 which for me would be break even. 

2 hours ago, buttock said:

C-1 and from the looks of it it's possible you're looking at bleedthrough.  That's not removable without carving through the full thickness of the cover. 

Yeah that's the worry and the risk. If it was pro color touch i wouldnt be up at night thinking about it.

I've done this with an X-Men 1 and an FF 2, both with minor color touch. The CT was so small that when CCS removed it I couldn't even see where the work had been done. Both came back in the same grade, just went from purple to blue.

But I've also sent a book in that was C-1 and it came back C-2, so it's definitely a roll of the dice. 

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. 

Edited by MatterEaterLad

3 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:
12 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Anyone remember the FF #1 that had the CT removed? :p

What happened?

Within the last two years, someone posted in this section that they had CT removed from a FF#1.   Resulted in a very odd looking book as long lines of CT was simply scrapped away, resulting in wide white lines where color should have been.  Really striking before and after photos. 

I did a quick, lazy search and didn't find it.  Anyone remember this? 

5 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Within the last two years, someone posted in this section that they had CT removed from a FF#1.   Resulted in a very odd looking book as long lines of CT was simply scrapped away, resulting in wide white lines where color should have been.  Really striking before and after photos. 

Not the post you're referring to, but wasn't it this book? Scroll down halfway on p6.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

9 hours ago, Pontoon said:
9 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Not the post you're referring to, but wasn't it this book? Scroll down halfway on p6.

Thanks for finding it.  I think that's the one I am talking about.

get-attachment-3aspx_zps70fae3ea.jpeg