• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So how high of blue label grade can you get with a detached staple??
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Hey Guys 

picked up this Avengers 57 off of Instagram and thinking about sending it back in for a blue label. But figured I would see if anyone knows what the highest it could be with a cover that is detached at one staple? I have a 6.0 personality that has a detached top staple but that book is nowhere near as nice as this. So is that what this will come back? Or can it go higher? Thanks! 

9219F13C-9334-4010-AA58-2762F474A262.jpeg

6E6C8A3B-0E43-4901-8F46-4C19BCC8451F.jpeg

5F7FF280-5E6F-4613-A1A3-D93DA8875D7C.jpeg

F1174A08-7C04-4CF8-9BB7-971EE6D9788D.jpeg

CEF5B314-87A3-468A-84E1-1E26618FF43B.jpeg

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

You really think it hurts the grade that much? I was thinking 8.0. 

@The Lions Den any thoughts here? 

Most of the time, higher grade books with this flaw will be Qualified because it's considered a pretty major flaw. But every so often there will be a book in mid or lower grade with the cover detached from either the top or bottom staple (obviously, if the cover is detached from both staples it really impacts the grade).

The highest graded book I've seen that was a blue label with the cover detached from one staple was a 6.5. This is not to say that there isn't one out there graded higher than this...but I personally don't recall it. 

I hope this helps, and please have a pleasant evening...

11 hours ago, KCOComics said:

You really think it hurts the grade that much? I was thinking 8.0. 

@The Lions Den any thoughts here? 

This is my experience with several books over many years. I've sent in books that presented as nice as vf/nm and I've never had a grade come back higher than 6.0. It's nice to hear that 6.5 is possible but I have to make the assumption that internally, CGC grades these books starting at around 6.0/6.5 and only lower from here.

1 hour ago, Funnybooks said:

This is my experience with several books over many years. I've sent in books that presented as nice as vf/nm and I've never had a grade come back higher than 6.0. It's nice to hear that 6.5 is possible but I have to make the assumption that internally, CGC grades these books starting at around 6.0/6.5 and only lower from here.

Thanks - that's why i appreciate this community. Lots to learn! 

2 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Thanks - that's why i appreciate this community. Lots to learn! 

Absolutely agreed. The hobby changes for over time and i't never too late to learn and grow along with it or be left behind. I appreciate everyone I've met over the years who took the time to impart their knowledge and experience with me. Forever grateful.

23 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thanks everyone.. that is pretty much what I thought but know there are things out there in the CGC world I have not seen yet. I may leave it green.. just hate that label lol

From what I've seen while researching this, the vast majority of books with this flaw are green label books. Personally, I think the book does present very well... 

10 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Beautiful comic.  What do you think it would have graded as a Qualified?

CGC forgot to put a notation about the top staple on the label. hm

I don't know, maybe 9.2? 9.4? The staple issue is listed in the notes.

Grader Notes:
light spine stress lines breaks color
staple detached top of cover

8 minutes ago, jharvey said:

I don't know, maybe 9.2? 9.4? The staple issue is listed in the notes.

Grader Notes:
light spine stress lines breaks color
staple detached top of cover

I think any detachment, whether it's the Cover or CF should be listed on the label (and usually is).

But I'm glad they at least put it in the graders notes.