• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on submitting an Already High Graded book for signing?
3 3

38 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2020 at 11:53 AM, seanfingh said:

Just so you hear the opposing opinion - I disagree with everything the other person said.  That may be a common belief as it relates to cracking out 9.8s for signature (and just so we are clear, I don't agree with that either. I have cracked out dozens possibly hundreds of 9.8s and had one grade drop) but not for a 9.2. A 9.2 has significant wear on it already.  The risk of a grade drop is SUBSTANTIALLY less than the risk of a grade drop on a cracked out 9.8.

Do grade drops happen. Sure they do. But so do grade bumps. Careful planning, knowing who is handling the book, and learning how to create bomb proof window bag transportation systems will keep most grades on point.

The Sig Room has become a place of grade drop fear mongering and it is out of place. 

I agree with this as well. I’ve done a handful of 9.8s for artist signatures and all have been fine although admittedly nerve wracking at first because 9.8 to 9.6 just seems like such an easy drop to me. 9.2 I’d be very comfortable with and since you’re reslabbing anyway would see if you think a press would fix anything while you’re at it and try for a bump. 

On 11/9/2020 at 4:14 PM, D2 said:

Zero change to the signatures. 

And even more interesting is I used an acrylic paint pen which people really fear using, especially with clean and presses, and everything came back perfect  

For my signatures, I did do a lot of tests and research. I went with Molotow paint pens which is an expensive brand, but the ink was totally opaque, cool color selections, no breaks in the signatures, and they survived a grading, and then a resubmit with press and clean! 2 thumbs up!

So they do return the pens if you send them with the submission? Or do they sometimes keep them?

3 hours ago, DINGER033 said:

So they do return the pens if you send them with the submission? Or do they sometimes keep them?

I've always done VIP signings or have had CGC reps attend my signing with an artist, so I've never given someone my pen before.

However, a friend of mine has done that, and I asked him that question too. He said that "nope, they're pretty much gone." lol

As I expected... prepare to lose them.

On 10/19/2020 at 9:25 AM, Comixroc said:

Here’s what I ask myself before making the decision: “which will bring a bigger smile to my face?  The 9.2 Universal, or a 9.0 Signature?“

Problem solved.(thumbsu

Just a follow up... putting my money where my mouth is:

I submitted two 9.8’s for the recent signing.  One came back a 9.6... the other came back a 9.4!  

The books were Universals which came back as Signatures.

The 9.6 was cool... but the 9.4 did hurt.

To be completely honest though, If I could do it over, I still would.  The Signature is more appealing to me.  Even with the drop to 9.4.  

That being said, if I was a seller, I’d be crying because the drop, the 9.4 in particular, would be a loss.

bottom line: grade drops occur.

To be clear, most of the 9.8’s I’ve submitted for signatures have retained their grade.  I am focusing on these two grade drops simply to highlight the drop is possible.  I also want to say, CGC has been amazing with the turn around time.  And the fact that we have these in house signings are amazing!  I love it!

Edited by Comixroc

On 11/9/2020 at 1:56 PM, D2 said:

I do fear grade drops. 
I’ve had a drop from a 9.8 down to a 9.6, however, I also resubmitted the 9.6 with a press and clean, and it got regraded again at a 9.8... so...

For me, at the end of the day, you have 3 options

A) Keep your book as is, get another, and try for a SS with higher grade. 
2) Submit your book, hope for the best. 
or D) Sell it all and open a lemonade stand!

In summary, I have a few things I live by: no risk no reward, don’t do something you’ll permanently regret, know your limits, and don’t be afraid to go outside your comfort zone. I typically go with one of these 4 approaches, and usually in most scenarios, 1 of these 4 are more applicable than the rest. 

good luck!

Same here, had an ASM #300 drop from 9.8 to 9.6 after a sig, then Matt fixed it, and it bumped back up to a 9.8. Was a nightmare for a few months.

4 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Same here, had an ASM #300 drop from 9.8 to 9.6 after a sig, then Matt fixed it, and it bumped back up to a 9.8. Was a nightmare for a few months.

Omg. That’s a hard hit. I would have been really upset with that. The scary thing is too, even with the resub you’re hoping beyond a hope you get it.

And what do you do if you don’t get it? Resub again?

22 minutes ago, D2 said:

Omg. That’s a hard hit. I would have been really upset with that. The scary thing is too, even with the resub you’re hoping beyond a hope you get it.

And what do you do if you don’t get it? Resub again?

Exactly, just resub it to death lol

This may be somewhat of a foolish question but why don't more people just get the slab signed and have the CGC rep add a yellow label to the holder as a witnessed SS? Then apply a sealer of sorts to protect the sig. Be one less person handling the book if at all. I can't imagine anyone even needs touch the book just to add a yellow label. Too much chance for fraud?

On 12/27/2020 at 10:27 AM, Randall Ries said:

This may be somewhat of a foolish question but why don't more people just get the slab signed and have the CGC rep add a yellow label to the holder as a witnessed SS? Then apply a sealer of sorts to protect the sig. Be one less person handling the book if at all. I can't imagine anyone even needs touch the book just to add a yellow label. Too much chance for fraud?

This question has been asked many times, and for some people it might be a good way to go. But for me, I collected signed comics, not signed plastic cases, so it was a non-starter. Also, I do not believe that CGC will certify a case signature. If the book gets cracked out, the sig is gone, and then what?

26 minutes ago, seanfingh said:
On 12/27/2020 at 7:27 AM, Randall Ries said:

This question has been asked many times, and for some people it might be a good way to go. But for me, I collected signed comics, not signed plastic cases, so it was a non-starter. Also, I do not believe that CGC will certify a case signature. If the book gets cracked out, the sig is gone, and then what?

the old case with a case within a case trick......