• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The History of EC comics massive book is available now at Taschen
2 2

59 posts in this topic

Is there anything in there that hasn't been seen before? I have at least two books on EC comics so do i really need this one? For 200 bucks there better be something amazing in there I have't seen before. The preview pages are all images I have seen and just more cover images. I think it's great, but still how many books on EC, DC and Marvel do we need? I want some books on the history of other publishers, like Fox Features for example. Publishers like that are fascinating with all the illegal activity and mob ties and everything. Victor Fox was a nut. I guess we never will get any comprehensive books on anything else ever because no one ever cared and everyone involved is long dead and never were interviewed at all. EC has been obsessed over for 60 years so we know everything already.

Edited by catman76

18 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

There will be a lot of information that has never been published before.

There is probably NO one alive who had better connections to the people who lived and created these books than Grant. He has had privileged access to everyone from Gaines, Feldstein, Kurtzman as well as all the living artists and creators of EC for decades. He has had very tight personal relationships with them. We have had numerous conversations. He has personal photos and full access to their files. You wouldn’t believe the stuff he has. Even Russ Cochran never had this access. It has always been a real labor of love and a true obsecession for him. I would expect a lot of surprises and a ton of new information. 

:whee:

13 hours ago, catman76 said:

Is there anything in there that hasn't been seen before? I have at least two books on EC comics so do i really need this one? For 200 bucks there better be something amazing in there I have't seen before. \

I have so many books and articles (literally dozens) about EC that I'm pretty jaded at this point, especially with respect to a $200 13 lb. book!

I'll be interested to hear comments from purchasers.

13 hours ago, catman76 said:

I want some books on the history of other publishers, like Fox Features for example. Publishers like that are fascinating with all the illegal activity and mob ties and everything. Victor Fox was a nut.

Take Money.jpg

15 hours ago, catman76 said:

Is there anything in there that hasn't been seen before? I have at least two books on EC comics so do i really need this one? For 200 bucks there better be something amazing in there I have't seen before. The preview pages are all images I have seen and just more cover images. I think it's great, but still how many books on EC, DC and Marvel do we need? I want some books on the history of other publishers, like Fox Features for example. Publishers like that are fascinating with all the illegal activity and mob ties and everything. Victor Fox was a nut. I guess we never will get any comprehensive books on anything else ever because no one ever cared and everyone involved is long dead and never were interviewed at all. EC has been obsessed over for 60 years so we know everything already.

that is exactly the issues I had with the Tashen book...until I looked at a preview copy...wortth every dime of $200....lots of new images as well as a ton of new information....I am there with you....but rest assured there will never be another one as this is the best of the best by a mile. The book of year, in the best book category for comics and  in the last ten years by far. 

Edited by Mmehdy

On 9/24/2020 at 9:45 PM, catman76 said:

Is there anything in there that hasn't been seen before? I have at least two books on EC comics so do i really need this one? For 200 bucks there better be something amazing in there I have't seen before. The preview pages are all images I have seen and just more cover images. 

I'm sure that there'll be some material that is new or at least new to most folks, but undoubtably this'll be the best overall packaging and probably the last word on this esteemed line of comics.  As for the $200 price tag, if one does a bit of research, discounts of between 10 and 25 percent were achievable yesterday.  Given that this is a very limited edition, that may or may not be the case today.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:45 PM, catman76 said:

I want some books on the history of other publishers, like Fox Features for example. Publishers like that are fascinating with all the illegal activity and mob ties and everything. Victor Fox was a nut. I guess we never will get any comprehensive books on anything else ever because no one ever cared and everyone involved is long dead and never were interviewed at all. EC has been obsessed over for 60 years so we know everything already.

There is certainly an appetite for information on the plethora of other less prominent publishers of comics from the pre-Code era.  Victor Fox was a notorious cutthroat opportunist known for exploitation.  His story would be a fascinating read.  There are many other smaller publishers who'd be interesting to read more about as well.  In respect to the obsession over EC, that's true to some extent given the popularity of Jerry Weist's celebrated Squa Tront and Russ Cochran's many efforts, but fresh eyes may provide new insights.  

The Vault-Keeper, Crypt-Keeper and Old Witch would never approach this as a grave tribute or a glorified nail in EC's coffin, ...they'd embrace it as a well-urned monument, an as-pyre-rational tome to the publisher's legacy. (thumbsu

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I have so many books and articles (literally dozens) about EC that I'm pretty jaded at this point, especially with respect to a $200 13 lb. book.

Taschen puts out quality hefty tomes, but I’m leaning in this direction as well.

14 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I have so many books and articles (literally dozens) about EC that I'm pretty jaded at this point, especially with respect to a $200 13 lb. book!

Take Money.jpg

On 9/24/2020 at 7:45 PM, catman76 said:

11 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Taschen puts out quality hefty tomes, but I’m leaning in this direction as well.

If it improves your decision making process the book can still be had for $147.00 at Walmart if you act quick enough...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-History-of-EC-Comics-Hardcover-9783836549769/362577673?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=8351&&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9031284&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117089113&wl11=online&wl12=362577673&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxdL1h6GG7AIVkojICh2RMAp7EAQYAiABEgLL8vD_BwE

Edited by N e r V

48 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Glad to help. Looks like it’s back above $200.00 now so at least some of you scored the lower price...

Ordered my copy from a reliable UK vendor several days ago, saving quite a bit through current exchange rates.  The source was almost sold out then (only 7 copies left).  The obvious downside to ordering outside the US is longer wait time and international shipping charges, but still saved close to 30% total on the purchase.  I’d check eBay for online vendors with reputable feedback for discounts before paying full price.  Barring discounts I’d suggest giving the business to your LCS.