• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The History of EC comics massive book is available now at Taschen
2 2

59 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

The back section of the Taschen book is the entire EC cover gallery

20201016_185245.jpg

20201016_185300.jpg

20201016_185343.jpg

That is what one would expect and of course all here. But what you don’t expect it what makes this so cool. All the old intimate stuff like photos, art pieces done for each other, little pieces of text that puts the whole thing together. There is a LOT of work by Grant tracking down this stuff and spending time with those who were there. And of course the art... All full size with premilary work, color guides ect. 

16 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

That is what one would expect and of course all here. But what you don’t expect it what makes this so cool. All the old intimate stuff like photos, art pieces done for each other, little pieces of text that puts the whole thing together. There is a LOT of work by Grant tracking down this stuff and spending time with those who were there. And of course the art... All full size with premilary work, color guides ect. 

agree, lots of tidbits and details!

REVIEW:

Best book of the year by a mile and a great value for price you pay...quality here. Let me say I had high expectations after seeing the preview.....it exceeds those and It took me a full 4 days to read cover to cover.....I can tell you great reread value, and printing quality second to none, especially on the blown up images, they are flawless. This book probably took 20 years of knowledge and research  to fully write, and in this day and age

of print media, it is just this book, this size to remind you mind why we collect  REAL GA/SA real comic books and not look at them on the impersonal computer. Holding this massive volume gives this book special meaning as to what we have grown  up with all of our lives in tangible books and comics.. This is a lifetime keeper book with incredible reread value. It great to get a history lesson about something you think you know everything about.

Grant, thank you for a masterpiece.

Edited by Mmehdy

I concur. I’m still just leafing through it randomly. As I said, we expect the covers, art and a few full stories. What is fascinating though are all the unpublished photos, odd ball personal art and just weird little tid bits through out. Actually reading it will be a treat. 

I’ve tried to get Grant to sign up here but I suspect he is pretty busy with his “real job” as a musician. Besides, he is a pretty quiet and private person. I directed him to the GA threads and this thread. I suspect he might be taking a peek here and there. 

So if you are reading Grant, many thanks for this incredible book. I think you dropped the mike on this one! 

The copy eBay purchased from the UK vendor last month arrived today in perfect condition, no damage to outer-case or book.  

Even shrink-wrapped, it's a beautiful achievement.  Sorry, can't discuss this because my mind's focused elsewhere, but thought some here might like to know that shipping can still occasionally be trusted.

For those on the fence of purchase or thinking about it you might want to take a look at the book we have been raving about, if you go on Youtube and type in the search  " the history of ec comics-Taschen ( leaf through) there is a video of the book..she goes fast, but this should give you out there a idea of the quality and images which you can add to your collection, the writing is just as good...give it try...you will be pleasantly suprised.

Edited by Mmehdy

Ordered my copy. I thought this would be monstrous, but looked at the comparison to the Stan Lee book. It is actually 1" smaller.

And the Stan Lee book is only $150 ish.

Not complaining, as I"m a huge EC OA fan, and have all the AEs and will likely get the third with more reprints, but the Stan Lee Tome is the monster of publications.