• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I AM JIMMERS!
3 3

197 posts in this topic

In regard to my situation, my Mom didn't tell me that depression ran in our family until I was hospitalized for the first time. When I asked her why she hadn't told me before, she said, "You didn't need to know until now."

I understand how things were in the 1950s - 1960s, when I was raised; mental illness was something you "just didn't talk about". But as @Ken Aldred mentioned, depressed people were told to "suck it up". However, I can't imagine someone with diabetes being told, "pull yourself together, there's nothing wrong with you" or "just suck it up".

I have no room to talk, because I looked at depression that way for a LONG time. I'm just glad that things have changed for the better (at least a little bit). When my depression started, I really didn't have anyone that I could talk to about it, except for my wife. And even then, I felt guilty because I was burdening her with my problems.

Jimmers, please try to find some help. The first step is VERY hard, but they get easier as time progresses.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:42 PM, steveinthecity said:

Maybe three weeks ago.  He’s got things going on and is taking deliberate breaks from the online world.

Any update Steve? I can't reach him.

On 9/28/2020 at 10:12 AM, KirbyJack said:

Canada is beautiful, too.

B07C0790-9D93-46D3-A3C9-0A17EC3A8BA5.thumb.jpeg.1fd933c0a7f0551984494be75b575324.jpeg

What are you trying to say here?  lol

On 9/28/2020 at 11:57 AM, Math Teacher said:

I have suffered from depression for 40+ years. I go through some good stretches and some bad stretches; currently, I am in a bad stretch because of COVID-19 and its effect on our way of life.

I grew up in the era when mental illness meant that "you were weak". I made no progress toward getting better until I realized that suffering from depression is no different than suffering from diabetes or kidney stones. Once I came to this realization, I was more receptive to listening to my psychiatrist and my counselor.

I am MORE than willing to listen to you. When I hear someone is having issues (of any kind, not just mental illness), my first comment is, "I'm a good listener."

Feel free to PM whenever you want. I have been dealing with this problem for a long time, and I can tell you what has worked for me.

Right now, all I can say is, "Don't give up!"

I suffered from severe depression for many years.  There is only one cure for depression.  Depression is focusing on yourself, all day long.  Turning your attention outwards into helping others will do the trick.  It's simple, but it's hard to do.

3 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

I’ll try to lure him back with a large dish of poutine.

Only if he wants to Steve, thanks - as long as he's ok that's all that matters. Give him my best.

5 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Waycoolander!

How're things mate,good weather!?

Hi all,be gentle,I'm shy

A few little comic lovers tracked me down elsewhere and ai got a phone call even!

@steveinthecity  @Tri-ColorBrian found me out in the matrix and well,here I am!

131207755_2700414200212761_4355623614928

Welcome back Jimmers!

Is it true you're hung like a barnacle?