• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your take on this Daredevil #1?

46 posts in this topic

Hi all,

What would you place this at? It goes out to be slabbed on Tuesday.

dared.jpg

Let me know if the image comes through ok. The back is clean, with sharp corners and no staining or spine cracking.

The only two defects that I really see are the grease pencil writing and a small track line about an inch down from the top cover.

That is one funky looking comic. Is that a miscut or is the top of the cover folded under?

The cut looks fine to me - off a little at the LRFC, but not at all uncommon for this book. The indented printers' stripe along the top edge (the stripe going thru DD's neck in the price block) doesn't look that severe at all 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

JC - you need to get out more - stop goin' down them dusty roads! 27_laughing.gif

It goes out to be slabbed on Tuesday.

Just curious, but what does this mean exactly? That you're dropping it in the mail on Tuesday and then waiting 3 1/2 - 4 months before it's slabbed? Don't forget to make it a line-item in your will, btw 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

It goes out to be slabbed on Tuesday.

Just curious, but what does this mean exactly? That you're dropping it in the mail on Tuesday and then waiting 3 1/2 - 4 months before it's slabbed? Don't forget to make it a line-item in your will, btw 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

I'm sure that's standard and not economy. poke2.gif

Very clean.. plod maybe?

I was guaranteed that the book wasn't restored, but we'll see. Gosh, there are a lot of pessimistic people here...

Well, we can't garde a small scan of one side of a book in a plastic bag makepoint.gif If you want a serious evaluation of your book, take it out of the Mylar, and scan both sides at at least 200 dpi with a 4" scan width sumo.gif

It's hard enough as it is 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, and btw, a "guarantee" is worth only as much as the person who makes it . . . that being said 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I wasn't really referring to anyone in particular. I've just noticed in many of the grading threads that many people really, really under-grade books - seemingly just to tear people down. You'll see a book that most people think is a 6.0-6.5 or so and you'll get the iconoclasts that say "4.5" or "4.0." *shrug* My favorite is when the CGC grade comes back way off from what people guessed.

That being said, I still enjoy these threads. I might put up a larger scan (it's more of me getting around to it, as I don't own a scanner) or I might just wait for it to come back and reveal the final grade. I'm hoping for an 8.0 or so...I'm not sure how CGC deals with grease pencil and a printer track defect. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back as a 7.0 or a 7.5, though.

Also, do you know how long the actual turnaround time for Express is? It says 5 business days (meaning I should get it back in less than 2 weeks) but I just sent off a Standard JIM 83 and they told me 5-6 weeks, at least (for a 15 business day turnaround). Should I expect a good 4 weeks before I get this book back from Express?

The cut looks fine to me

screwy.gif

Here's an experiment:

1) Line the scan up at the correct angle.

2) Enlarge and print.

3) Measure top cover edge

4) Measure bottom cover edge.

5) Take out slide rule or ruler, etc. and compare the angle of the bottom-right image (Foggy, Murdock, Page) to the DD image on the top-left.

Either the scan is warped, the cover is folded over, or there's been some trimming, but something is definitely up. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The cut looks fine to me

screwy.gif

Here's an experiment:

2) Enlarge and print.

5) Take out slide rule or ruler, etc. and compare the angle of the bottom-right image (Foggy, Murdock, Page) to the DD image on the top-left.

Either the scan is warped, the cover is folded over, or there's been some trimming, but something is definitely up. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And the results are . . . . what? As if I don't have better things to do makepoint.gif Than to disprove your theories 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

You're the one who's screwy.gif But on the other hand we don't know this guy from Adam, and we even know less about his source . . . thumbsup2.gif

The cut looks fine to me

screwy.gif

Here's an experiment:

2) Enlarge and print.

Ok, I did what you asked:

Measurements using an engineer's ruler.

Top cover: 6.77 inches

Bottom cover: 6.8 inches

Left side: 10.25 inches

Right side: 10.25 inches

I wasn't sure what you wanted from the angle at the two corners you mentioned. Can you clarify a little? Thanks!