• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your take on this Daredevil #1?

46 posts in this topic

Niize book! I'll give it a 4.5 wink.gif until I see the back cover! sumo.gif Then you'll get the other 4.5 893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Ooops - just scrolled back and saw the BC - thanks! Downgraded to 8.0 due to apparent spine wear and tanning. Still, a very niize copy.

Here's hoping your source was straight! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

[

You're the one who's screwy.gif But on the other hand we don't know this guy from Adam, and we even know less about his source . . . thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I'm real screwy.gif because I can see straight?.... I guarantee that the top cover edge is shorter than the bottom, and whether that's a miscut/off-cut or trimming will be for CGC to decide. I get suspicious when I see these books, especially as the guy just bought it.

Either way, the "cut does not look fine to me".

Truth should be told in about 2 weeks or so 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There's not real *truth* to be told, as I'm NOT saying it's definitely restored, only that I would be very suspicious if this book was offered to me.

It could be a bad scan, an off-cut, a folded over cover, etc., but assuming what we see is what we get, I would be hesitant to pay market rates. That's it.

Truth should be told in about 2 weeks or so 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There's not real *truth* to be told, as I'm NOT saying it's definitely restored, only that I would be very suspicious if this book was offered to me.

It could be a bad scan, an off-cut, a folded over cover, etc., but assuming what we see is what we get, I would be hesitant to pay market rates. That's it.

That's cool. Like I said, the top cover was about .015-.02 inches shorter than the bottom cover, so you weren't wrong (and you appaarently have a pretty keen eye).

I figure I have emails and an auction that states the book wasn't restored. I paid with Paypal (credit card). He lives about 2 miles from my house. If it's restored, I don't think it'll be a huge problem getting my money back.

After seeing the back that production defect is kinda strong.

The 8.5 I guessed may be a GLOD. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd be surprised if they give the defect a qualified grade...they don't seem to hand those out much, at all. They'll probably just drop it down.

Tough call on the book.

That "track line" looks a lot more like a "heavy object crease". It's pretty noticable so I think CGC would downgrade for it.

Maybe 7.0 because of the crease.

I thought that at first, but I was told time and again by people that it was a common production error.

The crease doesn't effect the pages (which you'd think a "heavy object" leaning into the book might do) and the object would be something 1/2 in wide on edge...

*shrug* If it comes back as a 7.0 I'd be pretty unhappy! frustrated.gif

[
You're the one who's screwy.gif But on the other hand we don't know this guy from Adam, and we even know less about his source . . . thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I'm real screwy.gif because I can see straight?.... I guarantee that the top cover edge is shorter than the bottom, and whether that's a miscut/off-cut or trimming will be for CGC to decide. I get suspicious when I see these books, especially as the guy just bought it.

Either way, the "cut does not look fine to me".

Yep, you're screwy.gif because you can see straight. You act like you're the only one who see's this - news.gif you're not. What I said, was that this type of miscut is very common on this issue - get your head out of you're Bronze Age books and take a look sometime. This book is as notorious for poor production quality as Iron Man #55 makepoint.gif

Of course, you should get suspicious, because they're are many out there that wouldn't hesitate to "improve" the looks of their top-dollar books for sale. That being said the dimensions delta is well-within the production variances of the time. hi.gif

Re: What's your take on this Daredevil #1? [Re: sfilosa]

#923306 - Tue Sep 06 2005 11:42 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tough call on the book.

That "track line" looks a lot more like a "heavy object crease". It's pretty noticable so I think CGC would downgrade for it.

Maybe 7.0 because of the crease.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that at first, but I was told time and again by people that it was a common production error.

The crease doesn't effect the pages (which you'd think a "heavy object" leaning into the book might do) and the object would be something 1/2 in wide on edge...

*shrug* If it comes back as a 7.0 I'd be pretty unhappy!

I don't remember see that on any other DD's. That not to say that you aren't correct, plus I agree that since it shows up on both sides that you would think that the pages would be effected.

Good luck and let us know.!!! thumbsup2.gif

Niize book! I'll give it a 4.5 wink.gif until I see the back cover! sumo.gif Then you'll get the other 4.5 893applaud-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Ooops - just scrolled back and saw the BC - thanks! Downgraded to 8.0 due to apparent spine wear and tanning. Still, a very niize copy.

Here's hoping your source was straight! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif