• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Question: Why do sellers on ebay only accept....???

32 posts in this topic

I guess some of them don't want to deal with the delay with cheques and some don't want to lose any percentage of the sale to PAYPAL or BILLPOINT. I agree that it is a pain in the when they don't accept PAYPAL or BILLPOINT! frown.gif

I actually went through this awhile back, and here are my reasons:

1) Charges. As a Canadian, I pay the same ludicrous transfer and currency exchange charges as a seller in Somalia or Greenland. I know the deal on banks in NA, and we Canucks are being asked to subsidize the rest of the world. Plus, no USD for Canucks (thereby not getting screwed both ways on the exchange), even if we have a USD account.

2) Bank access. My accountant looked over the Paypal agreement and recommended that I don't sign up. There are holes you can drive a Mac truck through and many of these are being addressed in a recent lawsuit.

3) I'm not a big seller. I blow off a few things here and there, and I could care less if I lose a few bucks by not offering Paypal. Many times, space is the consideration for selling, not money.

4) Ease of use: By only accepting Personal Checks (wait for clear) or Money Orders I don't have to worry about scammers charging back their Paypal account, giving fraudulent information or any of the other fun and games that take place. I take the payment to the bank and they authorize/clear it for me, and there's no stress on my part. If it bounces, then I no mail da goods.

The way I look at it, I'm just selling some excess off on EBay, not looking to make it my way of life. If I lose a few bucks, tough tittie, as it's worth it to lose the hassle, charges and risk inherent in being an online Paypal seller.

I do agree it's a pretty snazzy way of buying, but selling (especially Internationally) is a different story and only worthwhile if you really care about maximizing the old profit margin.

I charge people to use Paypal too, in the few cases I sell something..90 percent of the stuff I sell is in the 80-100 dollar range..and paypal is more of a hastle for me then it is a positive as it then costs money to get your money out.

Brian

lmao I report people that charge paypal fees if I feel like doing it that particular day. It's only a few bucks for a $100 item so why charge it? The fees for accepting paypal is a fee to do business & the buyer should not be charged.

I don't know about you guys but nothing turns me off more than a seller only accepting money orders. There's no protection whatsoever & it is just a a hassle.

I don't see anything forcing me to use it..it's more of a convience for the buyer then it is for the seller in my case. And if the convience is costing me money, I'm not gonna do it..I can live with lower bids.

Brian

really? I am not sure since everytime I have reported, the auction was ended the next day. Have you sold anything on ebay recently? It is embedded in red letters before you submit saying surcharges are against ebay rules & is grounds for the auction being terminated. It's kind of like the "electronics piracy" lil note ebay warns sellers about.

naw, only when I accidentally come acroos an auction of interest. The day you gave me the idea, I put, "paypal fees" into search for iem title and description. HAHAHAHA, and man there are a ton of listings to have fun with. Safe Harbor was probably pissed in the morning handling these complaints hahahah.