• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Faded comic.
3 3

18 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

We need better pictures. Take it out from the bag and show us both front and back covers.

This is on ebay UK, and these are the only photos shown. I am not asking about the general condition which all things being equal would be VG ish. I am asking what the community thinks about the fading and how the consensus thinks that it affects the overall grade?

DD2.jpg

Edited by Redshade

If you are thinking about buying this book, I would advise against it. I'd pick up a low-grade copy with creases but good color strike over a faded cover. I think moderately faded books ends up in the VG range and severely faded books (like this one) would be in the G range.

4 minutes ago, 10centcomics said:

If you are thinking about buying this book, I would advise against it. I'd pick up a low-grade copy with creases but good color strike over a faded cover. I think moderately faded books ends up in the VG range and severely faded books (like this one) would be in the G range.

I really do appreciate your comments. It's obvious that I am wary as evinced by my original query. Given that this is a pence variant (which I remember from back in the day) may I tentatively ask what you would consider to be a fair price for this book.

2 hours ago, Redshade said:

This is on ebay UK

Thought I'd seen that before. 

2 hours ago, Redshade said:

what you would consider to be a fair price for this book

tree-fiddy. Seriously, though, I'd be cautious. How much do you want to pay for what is effectively an expensive place-keeper. If you managed to bag it for two or three hundred quid, would you be able to unload it for at least that much later?

Good luck if you do go for it. :wishluck:

What is your goal?  Do you want it for your personal collection or to resell?

I think that will answer your "is it worth it".  To resell, it most likely won't sell for the FMV on the same grade as a copy that isn't as faded regardless of the technical grade.  For your personal collection, how much does the fade bother you?  

For me personally, i'd rather have a 2.0 with nice colors rather than a 4.0 faded like that.  Honestsly, i'd rather have a 0.5-1.0 with a detached cover than an attached 5.0 with faded colors.  That's my personal preference and aesthetically, I really dislike the look of faded books.

The lower grade the book, the less impact fading would have.

For example, let's say you have a 9.0 book but it's faded. I could see 6.5-7.0 tops

Let's say you have a 6.0 book but it's faded. I would say 4.0-4.5 tops

If you have a 3.0 book that is faded, well, I think you would be around the same, maybe bumped to a 2.5

Does that make any sense? I don't know if that holds true for CGC but that is kinda how I set it up in my mind. Personally, I would rather the copy you have that a tattered 2.0 copy. However, I would expect to pay 3.0-3.5 range prices for your copy, even if structurally it is higher. 

Covers so faded as to have lost the red entirely will be impacted more severely in terms of value than the technical grade may suggest. It is one of those flaws like brittle pages that enough buyers shy away from, to make them a tough sell, even to low grade collectors, and are generally discounted below the value of other books with the same grade, even if the flaw has been factored into the grade.

Number 1 issues have typically been found with faded covers as they were at the front of the box or on top of the stack.  When shopping for an AF15, X-Men 1, or any other Marvel key I ran across them.  I stayed away.    I wanted an AF15 with Spider-man in a red and blue costume, not a light orange and bluish gray.  When I go to cons they are usually priced below the numeric grade because of the lack if eye appeal and they still often sit there. 

So if it structurally looks like a 6.0 and is assigned a 3.0 grade, it still may only command a 2.0 price since there is a far slimmer audience for such a book.   We've already seen comments in this thread suggesting to go down in grade but buy a book with a better color strike.

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Number 1 issues have typically been found with faded covers as they were at the front of the box or on top of the stack.  When shopping for an AF15, X-Men 1, or any other Marvel key I ran across them.  I stayed away.    I wanted an AF15 with Spider-man in a red and blue costume, not a light orange and bluish gray.  When I go to cons they are usually priced below the numeric grade because of the lack if eye appeal and they still often sit there. 

So if it structurally looks like a 6.0 and is assigned a 3.0 grade, it still may only command a 2.0 price since there is a far slimmer audience for such a book.   We've already seen comments in this thread suggesting to go down in grade but buy a book with a better color strike.

I'm guessing most of these books were stupidly left on the wall or exposed in a case of a comic shop for months or years, overpriced and becoming less valuable by the day. 

It's one thing to leave some $30 X-men book exposed to UV light long enough to fade it, but doing it to a valuable key is almost criminal. 

10 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I'm guessing most of these books were stupidly left on the wall or exposed in a case of a comic shop for months or years, overpriced and becoming less valuable by the day. 

It's one thing to leave some $30 X-men book exposed to UV light long enough to fade it, but doing it to a valuable key is almost criminal. 

I don't believe that is the case.  Which books are more likely to be faded?  Avengers 1 or Avengers 4?

Now, if X-Men 94 is faded I assume that was on the wall as I would with Avengers 4.  However, if you group a bunch of books in number order, Avengers 1 is in front. If that is in the stack, that sees the sun.  If that is at the front of the box... then that is the one exposed.  

As far as value, always remember that at some point Action Comics #1 was a 10 cent book.  It was not worth much to anyone.