• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine tics

21 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

So, a nice looking book with only two small spine tics...best possible grade?

Then again it depends a lot on many other factors.

CGC isn't infallible either, I have a 9.8 with 10 spine ticks. They are not small spine ticks either.

(shrug)

6 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

So, a nice looking book with only two small spine tics...best possible grade?

Are they highly visible? Do they break color? Got pics of the book?

Overall grade is needed to determine if the spine tick(s) are acceptable for that grade or will deduct from what would otherwise be a higher grade and how much of a deduction, what would CGC say...Nobody can give you a definitive answer on that.

I have a copy of ASM 36 (Vol 2), all black cover that has one small spine tick that begins to break color, without the spine tick the book grades (IMO with my 40 years experience collecting/grading books) at a NM- 9.2, with the spine tick I graded it at VF 8.0 and in my personal notes I noted the spine tick.

I would suggest you take a few pics (front cover, spine, back cover, inside front cover/splash page, centerfold, last page/inside rear cover) and post them in the "Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade" section and get the groups opinion.

15 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Are they highly visible? Do they break color? Got pics of the book?

Overall grade is needed to determine if the spine tick(s) are acceptable for that grade or will deduct from what would otherwise be a higher grade and how much of a deduction, what would CGC say...Nobody can give you a definitive answer on that.

I have a copy of ASM 36 (Vol 2), all black cover that has one small spine tick that begins to break color, without the spine tick the book grades (IMO with my 40 years experience collecting/grading books) at a NM- 9.2, with the spine tick I graded it at VF 8.0 and in my personal notes I noted the spine tick.

I would suggest you take a few pics (front cover, spine, back cover, inside front cover/splash page, centerfold, last page/inside rear cover) and post them in the "Hey Buddy, Can You Spare A Grade" section and get the groups opinion.

I used to have what I thought was a very strong idea of what CGC would grade as a 9.8 book then I acquired a Harley Quinn #1 Adam Hughes variant. It has 10 spine ticks, and they are not small, yet sits in a 9.8 holder. I can't find any tampering on the case either.

20200919_111801.jpg

20200919_111728.jpg

20200919_111738.jpg

20200919_111745.jpg

20200919_111749.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

Nobody can give you and honest accurate answer to your question, what any one person see's and/or perceives to see on any given day can and will change because of human imperfections, basically what the grading standards state and how that statement is interpreted is not going to be the same every time.

The first mention of "spine ticks/stress lines" is in NM 9.4, here are quotes pertaining to stress lines from the grading standards.

NM+ 9.6 "Almost imperceptible indentations are permissible, but no creases, bends, or color break."

NM 9.4  "A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break" "Almost no stress lines."

NM- 9.2 "A 1/16-1/8" bend is permitted with no color break." "Almost no stress lines"

VF/NM 9.0 "A very minor accumulation of stress lines may be present if they are nearly imperceptible."

VF 8.0 "Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present."

FN/VF 7.0 "Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present."

FN 6.0 "Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present,"

Now you have to know how the words "Almost No", "Nearly Imperceptible", "Insignificant", "Small Accumulation of Light" and "A Few Slight" are going to be interpreted and you cannot possibly know that as it pertains to grading or anything else, this is why things get argued in court, those words mean different things to different people, there is no Black and White when it comes to grading comic books.

When I grade my books and there is a noticeable stress line or one that breaks color I will not give it a grade above VF/NM 9.0.

On 4/30/2012 at 4:32 PM, the blob said:

I had a slabbed ASM 300 9.4 that had at least 5 spine ticks, though I would never call a book NM that had that many.

I’d love to see a picture of this ancient myth please because I don’t believe it. 

as for this post, if it was legit, why did you not photograph the grade? If I was picking out books to submit this would not have been one. Pending a picture of the grade I’m calling bologna.  

On 9/25/2020 at 7:32 AM, Artboy99 said:

I used to have what I thought was a very strong idea of what CGC would grade as a 9.8 book then I acquired a Harley Quinn #1 Adam Hughes variant. It has 10 spine ticks, and they are not small, yet sits in a 9.8 holder. I can't find any tampering on the case either.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:59 PM, proudlarry said:

I’d love to see a picture of this ancient myth please because I don’t believe it. 

as for this post, if it was legit, why did you not photograph the grade? If I was picking out books to submit this would not have been one. Pending a picture of the grade I’m calling 

The book was a purchase and it was already slabbed. Like many sellers they stated no returns on slabs. This book is in a non tampered with 9.8 case and here are your required pictures with the grade. There are a lot of spine tics on this book, these pictures show the bigger ones.

20210517_082014.jpg

20210517_082006.jpg

20210517_082000.jpg

20210517_081955.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

On 5/15/2021 at 6:59 PM, proudlarry said:

as for this post, if it was legit, why did you not photograph the grade? If I was picking out books to submit this would not have been one. Pending a picture of the grade I’m calling bologna.  

Derp.

17 minutes ago, !???! said:

This is your first post and you're calling out veterans? :facepalm:

Clueless noob gonna be clueless. Seems like they're multiplying these days. 

I sold the book in like 2006 when the movie hype was building. Do you think I kept the pictures?  I was shocked as this was the first modern/copper 9.4 I had ever bought. The guy who bought it was seemingly buying hundreds of slabbed ASM 300s. And he had a scam going to squeeze another $15 refund out of each seller: he'd claim the slab was cracked and wanted a reholder fee. It seemed fishy, so i e-mailed a bunch of people he had bought from and it turned out he was doing it to everyone. I offered to take the book back, I wasn't going to get extorted, and I never heard back. Anyway, it turns out this guy was a genius if he held on to most of them.

Edited by the blob

5 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

The book was a purchase and it was already slabbed. Like many sellers they stated no returns on slabs. This book is in a non tampered with 9.8 case and here are your required pictures with the grade. There are a lot of spine tics on this book, these pictures show the bigger ones.

20210517_082014.jpg

20210517_082006.jpg

20210517_082000.jpg

20210517_081955.jpg

Ouch. OK, you win! So far all my 9.8s have been pretty perfect, maybe a little bit going on with the spine corners, but that could have happened in the slab. I don't think those tics could have happened in the slab.

26 minutes ago, the blob said:

Ouch. OK, you win! So far all my 9.8s have been pretty perfect, maybe a little bit going on with the spine corners, but that could have happened in the slab. I don't think those tics could have happened in the slab.

what do I win!?! :banana:Since I definitely did not win with that purchase it would be nice to win something. 

Are those actual spine creases  or just color rubs? If color rubs then maybe it is a fairly common manufacturer defect on that particular book that doesn't factor into the final grade?

Edited by Lobo1969

2 hours ago, Lobo1969 said:

Are those actual spine creases  or just color rubs? If color rubs then maybe it is a fairly common manufacturer defect on that particular book that doesn't factor into the final grade?

spine creases. 2 of them are nearly half an inch long

On 9/25/2020 at 1:20 PM, Greatwhite said:

I am just looking at a few ungraded books on eBay. Just want to know how far down the scale a few minor spine tics will take a book.

As you can see from the thread no one can give you a solid answer, it varies. If those are the SOLE defects it could be 9.8, could be 9.0.  But I'm chiming in regarding Ebay... If you're seeing spine ticks, there are likely more defects lurking that you aren't seeing. Not 100% of the time, but be wary.

How many spine ticks are allowed on a CGC 9.8 is up to the discretion of CGC. However if you grade a raw book as a 9.8 and it has more than one or two minimal spine ticks expect someone to argue that it's not a 9.8.