• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some advice on modern Marvel 'Faux' #1's

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I wanted to get a single CGC encased comic of each of my favorite characters/superhero-teams and buying real number 1's is just not feasible in a lot of circumstances. 

My question is actually related to Marvel and DC. Regarding DC, I purchased Batman #404 and Man of Steel #1. Mainly because they have iconic covers and are essentially modern, Post-COIE #1's for those characters. 

With Marvel I bought Ms. Marvel (2014) #1 for Kamala as that was easily attainable. But for characters like Spider-Man, Daredevil and teams like X-Men they really aren't. 

Without a clean continuity break like COIE what is a go to 'Faux' #1 for these characters for someone who just wants to own an affordable singular book with a good looking cover? 

Cheers very much. 

14 minutes ago, JoeGuy said:

Hi, I wanted to get a single CGC encased comic of each of my favorite characters/superhero-teams and buying real number 1's is just not feasible in a lot of circumstances. 

My question is actually related to Marvel and DC. Regarding DC, I purchased Batman #404 and Man of Steel #1. Mainly because they have iconic covers and are essentially modern, Post-COIE #1's for those characters. 

With Marvel I bought Ms. Marvel (2014) #1 for Kamala as that was easily attainable. But for characters like Spider-Man, Daredevil and teams like X-Men they really aren't. 

Without a clean continuity break like COIE what is a go to 'Faux' #1 for these characters for someone who just wants to own an affordable singular book with a good looking cover? 

Cheers very much. 

First question is how much is your price limit ? If you can swing a few hundred you can get a nice Platinum variant of Spider-man 1 ... an early retailer's premium that might still have investment potential AND an iconic McFarlane cover. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

I've often heard of X-men 94 as the "poor man's" GSXM 1 since it has a lot of great second and third appearances and it's the first new team appearance in the main title series. Still pretty pricey, but not as pricey as X-Men 1 (and it's the new team that most people associate as the X-Men) or GSXM 1...

Yes, I'd second the Golden Record Reprints. They can be pricey in and of themselves, but are a fraction of what the real thing would run you.

11 minutes ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I've often heard of X-men 94 as the "poor man's" GSXM 1 since it has a lot of great second and third appearances and it's the first new team appearance in the main title series. Still pretty pricey, but not as pricey as X-Men 1 (and it's the new team that most people associate as the X-Men) or GSXM 1...

Yes, 94 is generally cheaper than GSX 1, but it is starting to narrow the distance! I'd pick one up sooner rather than later. 94 is cheaper than GSX, which is cheaper than X-Men 1. You can still get a nice low grade GSX 1 for under a grand, not sure how much longer though. Mid grades have moved up to the $1k-$1500k point.

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

First question is how much is your price limit ? If you can swing a few hundred you can get a nice Platinum variant of Spider-man 1 ... an early retailer's premium that might still have investment potential AND an iconic McFarlane cover. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I was aiming for <$200 tbh. It is just something for myself so I can't expect to sell them. They're a sunk cost shelf item. A McFarlane #1 definitely appeals to me.

2 hours ago, Joosh said:

I would go for modern facsimile reprints, like the FF1 as shown.

For more $ you can get the Golden Record reprints of some Marvel #1’s that were printed back in 66. Their covers are nearly identical to original; just missing cover price marking.

A facsimile reprint for things like Amazing Fantasy 15 sounds like a great idea. Thank you. 

Edited by JoeGuy

5 hours ago, JoeGuy said:

You could always go for reprint editions other than Milestone books, like Marvel Tales #137 for AF 15, True Believers Daredevil #1 for DD 1,  or Amazing Adventures #1 for X-Men 1. There are probably Marvel Legends giveaways for most of these as well.

first.PNG

18 minutes ago, JoeGuy said:

I was wondering if a Spider-Man (1990) #1 & X-Men (1991) #1 would be a good pick? They're both title / series #1's with famous artists. I could get facsimile/milestone editions instead though. 

Go with this for Spidey....

1C9BA0A2-2205-4F97-8134-80F8FBDB2646.jpeg