• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Least Collectible Comic Series?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

What, in your opinion, is the epitome of the least collectible comic series?  Obviously there's lots of drek and otherwise highly readable '90s independents (e.g., Nexus), but I am thinking about late Silver or Bronze mainstream series that people read and enjoyed, but have little value.  "Warlord" by Mike Grell comes to mind for me.  Maybe Marvel Two-in-One -- I had a particular fave issue as a kid I read many times -- "The Thing vs The Thing".

What's yours?

As per the thread title, many least collectible in this thread...

Comics with little value but great actual content, as per the first post example of Nexus,  is a different discussion.

40 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

As per the thread title, many least collectible in this thread...

Comics with little value but great actual content, as per the first post example of Nexus,  is a different discussion.

I should have titled the thread better . . . not thinking of crappy uncollectible series, but good uncollectible series.

I have a full run of Warlord bagged and boarded when they came out #1 to up past 50, with the first issue special too. 1980s me thought they would be worth thousands by now, and that people of the future will definitely pay extra for full runs!

I still am working on my Marvel Two-in-One run to this day.

Edited by Doctor Dositheus

14 minutes ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

I have a full run of Warlord bagged and boarded when they came out #1 to up past 50, with the first issue special too. 1980s me thought they would be worth thousands by now, and that people of the future will definitely pay extra for full runs!

But they are still a fun read and worth collecting on that fact alone.

20 minutes ago, OuterboroGuy said:

I should have titled the thread better . . . not thinking of crappy uncollectible series, but good uncollectible series.

Okay but if they're good, then they're worth collecting. Technically, anything is "collectible"

3 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Okay but if they're good, then they're worth collecting. Technically, anything is "collectible"

I think the original poster means least collected, not least collectible, as in which series has the least perceived demand from current collectors.

3 minutes ago, Moater said:

Not a fun read, tho. And the art?

https://images.app.goo.gl/oSPgrfixPfKuU6iZ7

Agreed, I love a ton of Bill Mantlo's bronze age stuff, especially his run on Hulk, but the Human Fly stories were stinky. I believe because they forced Mantlo to write about a real-life individual whose super power was tight-rope walking...

11 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

If you are talking non-superhero series and anything outside of the big two I am sure you can find a ton of comics many here would consider non-collectible.

But if you're talking Marvel/DC superhero series that went at least 15+ issues my vote would be for Human Fly.

Human Fly #1

I have two full runs, including the one I picked off the rack when it first came out.  

I think you'd have to look at some of the old Charleton books that seldom moved off the shelf.

1 minute ago, JazzMan said:

I have two full runs, including the one I picked off the rack when it first came out.  

I think you'd have to look at some of the old Charleton books that seldom moved off the shelf.

Yeah, that's why I suggested narrowing it to DC and Marvel. As much as I loved reading the Phantom as a kid, most Charlton, Gold Key and Harvey series from the bronze age are not in high demand from current collectors.

17 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

If you are talking non-superhero series and anything outside of the big two I am sure you can find a ton of comics many here would consider non-collectible.

But if you're talking Marvel/DC superhero series that went at least 15+ issues my vote would be for Human Fly.

Human Fly #1

4 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

I remember vividly watching when he was riding on the outside of plane.  I want to say maybe Wide World of Sports broadcast it.  I must have 14 or 15.

When the comic came out, I bought it off the stands and that tagline "because he's real!" always stuck with me. 

Growing up with Evel and this guy was great.  I never knew the Human Fly's real name and actually just looked it up.

And I can't forget having Super Dave Osborne (real name Bob Einstein).  He was awesome.  I didn't realize until just now when I looked up his real name that he was the older brother of Albert Brooks.  Super Dave was the real life version of Mr. Bill (Oh No).