• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Least Collectible Comic Series?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Moater said:

Planetary

This is such a shame. Recently reread the series after picking up the Omnibus and it may be my all time favorite read. Well written, well drawn, basically every issue is a stand alone story that interlocks into one great epic. I think I've heard it described as a love letter to the history of comics. I'm not sure comics could be done any better than this series was. I know they are worthless, but I still buy them whenever I see them cheap.

I say this as someone who had no interest in the series until I picked up a handful of them in a short box I bought wholesale.

30 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

I was a big fan of Firestorm/Fury Of Firestorm. That second series ran 60+ issues plus a few Annuals.  I rarely see the character or comics mentioned.

That was my favorite series in high school.  For some strange reason I specifically remember picking up the following issue at a newsstand at the Hoyt-Schermerhorn A train station on the way home from school.

index.jpg

1 hour ago, Moater said:

The Authority

Stormwatch

Transmetropolitan

Planetary

Thunderbolts

Any Alan Moore ABC books

Hitman

Astro City

Milk & Cheese

I could go on and on...

a lot of those have keys.. Thunderbolts.. has many variants and valuable standard cover issues

might be too late, but there might be a stipulation of a minimum number of issues.  Those are the ones I wonder about, five-ten years of a comic that seems to suck that no one reads (seemingly).

2 minutes ago, revat said:

might be too late, but there might be a stipulation of a minimum number of issues.  Those are the ones I wonder about, five-ten years of a comic that seems to suck that no one reads (seemingly).

Seems like there are many sub-categories here:

--Pure drek

--Independents (good and bad)

--Solid DC/Marvel series that people bought and enjoyed but have little value

--DC/Marvel series that seemed to last without any redeeming qualities or audience

Micronauts.  Although 2 issues have some value in 9.8, the rest are not.  This was the series that got me hooked into comics.  The first 12 issues were one epic story; I was kind-of disappointed when they came to earth early on; I thought adventures in the Microverse were super-cool.

I then got into the heyday of X-Men and Michael Golden left Micronauts and the magic was gone.

Edited by Tafkap

Long running but low demand?  Try the Dell Looney Tunes series. It ran over 20 years and you can find most issues from 70-246 for less than a new book with fairly little effort.  Admittedly not in grade, but still, for books 60-70 years old, and a series that has been published, if not quite continuously, every decade since the 40's?

3 hours ago, OuterboroGuy said:

What, in your opinion, is the epitome of the least collectible comic series?  Obviously there's lots of drek and otherwise highly readable '90s independents (e.g., Nexus), but I am thinking about late Silver or Bronze mainstream series that people read and enjoyed, but have little value.  "Warlord" by Mike Grell comes to mind for me.  Maybe Marvel Two-in-One -- I had a particular fave issue as a kid I read many times -- "The Thing vs The Thing".

What's yours?

Mike Grell projects are excellent examples. Judging from a local comic warehouse, I would say the least collectible series is Starslayer. I am being really specific about it being collected as a series since 3 separate issues are very collectible for being keys but totally unrelated to the Mike Grell comic. The guy I bought from says he never ever sold an issue of Starslayer 6 in the 30 years he's been in the business.