• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Least Collectible Comic Series?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

I was a big fan of Firestorm/Fury Of Firestorm. That second series ran 60+ issues plus a few Annuals.  I rarely see the character or comics mentioned.

The 80s issues written by John Ostrander are good reads, and some nice Adams-influenced art by Tom Grindberg.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Long running but low demand?  Try the Dell Looney Tunes series. It ran over 20 years and you can find most issues from 70-246 for less than a new book with fairly little effort.  Admittedly not in grade, but still, for books 60-70 years old, and a series that has been published, if not quite continuously, every decade since the 40's?

You can lump in New Funnies in there. Also lasted a long while: 224 issues to the 246 of LTMM and is even in lower demand. Same as with LTMM, once you get past issue 64, they are cheap to find.

8 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

You can lump in New Funnies in there. Also lasted a long while: 224 issues to the 246 of LTMM and is even in lower demand. Same as with LTMM, once you get past issue 64, they are cheap to find.

Another good call.  For me, it was get New Funnies 82-85 and I was done.  All I care about in that run is the Walt Kelly material.  Although, John Stanley did a fair bit of work that might be worth tracking down...

Not that your basic point isn't rock solid.  The Funnies, before it added "New", is one I need to start looking for again... I only have about half the Scribbly issues.

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Not that your basic point isn't rock solid.  The Funnies, before it added "New", is one I need to start looking for again... I only have about half the Scribbly issues

Absolutely, the Funnies (or at least a section of that part of the run) are desirable. I attempted to reflect by mirroring your comment that once you get past the renaming of the series, interest flags down. I want to beef up my Our Gang / T&J holdings first before exploring elsewhere. This is a series I have neglected and I need to remedy that.

21 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I once spent half an hour going through bargain boxes at a convention that were just twenty-five years of Legion of Superheroes (1970s-1990s) without a single book worth $1.

25 years of nothing.

What, you didn't love the exciting plotlines over who was going to be elected "Team Leader" of the Legion? 

I did always enjoy the bit where Matter-Eater Lad went insane when Braniac 5 had him eat the Miracle Machine.

MELad6.jpg

17 hours ago, telerites said:

And I can't forget having Super Dave Osborne (real name Bob Einstein).  He was awesome.  I didn't realize until just now when I looked up his real name that he was the older brother of Albert Brooks.  Super Dave was the real life version of Mr. Bill (Oh No).

Super Dave's appearances on Norm Macdonald Live are legendary.

21 minutes ago, Moater said:

You're right, I forgot to mention that variants are garbage and I wasn't counting them. I was talking about unslabbed non-9.8 non-variant books (thumbsu

You just eliminated every comic book from the past 40 years.  (Although, TMNT #1 might get a pass.) 

17 hours ago, Tafkap said:

Micronauts.  Although 2 issues have some value in 9.8, the rest are not.  This was the series that got me hooked into comics.  The first 12 issues were one epic story; I was kind-of disappointed when they came to earth early on; I thought adventures in the Microverse were super-cool.

I then got into the heyday of X-Men and Michael Golden left Micronauts and the magic was gone.

As someone who has all the Marvel Micronauts plus the X-Men team up mini series, 1 and 8 are pretty much it....

One that I really enjoyed that nobody collects is Strikeforce Morituri. I picked it up after it was one of the features in a Wizard's lesser-known great reads feature and really liked it. After Brent Anderson and Peter Gillis left it was unreadable, but the first 20 issues were great. 

Ambush Bug's various mini-series together aren't worth anything, but they often have hilarious moments.

Whether not collected, or an unspoken of, guilty pleasure for many, who knows?

Edited by Ken Aldred

8 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

The Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre series is awesome. 

I'm sure it will never be worth much but it's a great read with some truly fantastic covers

Excellent series.  There's only really issue 54, the first appearance of Michael Holt / Mr Terrific, of note for the speculators.