• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Least Collectible Comic Series?
2 2

120 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

OK, TWO LSH books that I paid more than $5 for.  I actually paid around $20 for my copy a couple years after it came out but before it went insane.  Did you sell yours on eBay?

Yes, I sold everything on eBay back then. I was moving in with my then fiancee (now wife) and decided I didn't want to haul all of those long boxes around anymore. So most of what I sold were complete runs. But I sold this one separately, along with all of the other Adam Hughes stuff I had at the time, as I'd been collecting his books since the early 90's. I think I got about $20 or so for the book, and was happy about it at the time, since most of the Legion runs were selling for pennies on the dollar. A few years later, after we bought our house and seemed to be relatively settled, I decided I wanted some of that stuff back again, and have managed to put the LoSH runs back together on the cheap with the exception of this book. I also put most of my AH stuff together again as well, only I sold most of it again last year when I gave up on completing his cover run. I don't like store exclusives and variants like that, so once he got into that game, so I punched out again. Will I take up the collection a third time? Who can say! I can't imagine selling the LoSH runs again though. 

One title I haven't picked up again is L.E.G.I.O.N. I think those are still cheap as well, I need to start digging through the boxes again and put that one together, it's a fun book.

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, I sold everything on eBay back then. I was moving in with my then fiancee (now wife) and decided I didn't want to haul all of those long boxes around anymore. So most of what I sold were complete runs. But I sold this one separately, along with all of the other Adam Hughes stuff I had at the time, as I'd been collecting his books since the early 90's. I think I got about $20 or so for the book, and was happy about it at the time, since most of the Legion runs were selling for pennies on the dollar. A few years later, after we bought our house and seemed to be relatively settled, I decided I wanted some of that stuff back again, and have managed to put the LoSH runs back together on the cheap with the exception of this book. I also put most of my AH stuff together again as well, only I sold most of it again last year when I gave up on completing his cover run. I don't like store exclusives and variants like that, so once he got into that game, so I punched out again. Will I take up the collection a third time? Who can say! I can't imagine selling the LoSH runs again though. 

One title I haven't picked up again is L.E.G.I.O.N. I think those are still cheap as well, I need to start digging through the boxes again and put that one together, it's a fun book.

I wonder if I got your SLSH 23, then... if so, you can be assured it has a good home now, at least!  I think my L.E.G.I.O.N. run was 100% assembled from cheap boxes, actually.  I may have paid over a dollar for a few issues; I think I got over half for free at my LCS in the 90's.  Rather than a discount on a pull box, they had a bonus buck program.  For every $100 you spent, you got $40 credit for the back issue bins (no wall or case books).  The highlights from that, in retrospect, were the Marvel Super Heroes #12, #13, and #18; although back then they were less that $20 of the credit anyway.

My interest in AH is mostly limited to what I run across cheap or picking up his new issues as they come out as non-limited editions, rather than exclusive or ratio books.  Most I've ever paid for something by him is $40...

AH_Triad.jpg

10 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I wonder if I got your SLSH 23, then... if so, you can be assured it has a good home now, at least!  I think my L.E.G.I.O.N. run was 100% assembled from cheap boxes, actually.  I may have paid over a dollar for a few issues; I think I got over half for free at my LCS in the 90's.  Rather than a discount on a pull box, they had a bonus buck program.  For every $100 you spent, you got $40 credit for the back issue bins (no wall or case books).  The highlights from that, in retrospect, were the Marvel Super Heroes #12, #13, and #18; although back then they were less that $20 of the credit anyway.

My interest in AH is mostly limited to what I run across cheap or picking up his new issues as they come out as non-limited editions, rather than exclusive or ratio books.  Most I've ever paid for something by him is $40...

AH_Triad.jpg

Oh wow, that's great! The only sketch I ever got from Adam was a Wonder Woman head sketch. Around that same time I was collecting sketches of LoSH characters, I wish I'd gotten something from him. I was a big fan from the Justice League International days, so back in the late 80's and early 90's it was pretty easy to keep up with his stuff, I just had to look through previews and buy whatever was coming out. I don't think I ever paid more than cover for anything in my AH collection the first go round. Second time was a different story!

And whether it's true or not, I'm going to tell myself you got that book from me. It was sharp, a NM+ for sure. I'll just say it's in a loving home of a fellow boardie, and be content with that possible lie!

Edited by F For Fake

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Germane to the LoSH discussion, I suddenly recalled that there is at least ONE Legion book from the last 30 years that is worth considerably more than a buck. I got mine at cover price as a holds customer. Sold it when I sold all of my books (the first) time several years later, I think I got maybe $20 for it? It took a LOOOONG time for this book to spike. Hoping I'll find another one at a not-stupid price some day.

Photograph-10.jpg

My favourite Adam Hughes cover, and favourite variant cover ever.  (I've posted it enough times.)

My raw cost me £1-80, cover price, when it was new in at the LCS.

6 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

My favourite Adam Hughes cover, and favourite variant cover ever.  (I've posted it enough times.)

My raw cost me £1-80, cover price, when it was new in at the LCS.

My friend has a CGC 9.8. It apparently goes for Uber bucks.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Cool book! I don't have that one.

It's odd because going into the 80's, Legion was on a level with New Teen Titans as one of DC's flagship books. But at some point they lost the readers. Was it 5YL? Was it Threeboot? I know Crisis threw a monkeywrench into things, and even with Zero Hour and everything else, they never seemed to "fix" Legion continuity, at least not enough to bring readers back. It's been relaunched at least three times since then, that I can think of. It just never seems to stick. It's a shame. I really love these books and these characters, but even I stopped buying them after the Shooter returned to the LoSH and that volume ended. That was it for me. I sampled the New 52 books but couldn't make myself care, and haven't read any of the newest relaunch either.

I only collected Legion of Super Heroes for a brief stint after the 1980 relaunch (when the series jettisoned Superboy) because I was 12 years old and thought Shadow Lass and Dawnstar were hot. :x

Legion of Super-Heroes #265

48 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I only collected Legion of Super Heroes for a brief stint after the 1980 relaunch (when the series jettisoned Superboy) because I was 12 years old and thought Shadow Lass and Dawnstar were hot

The Dave Cockrum era for me, a few years earlier, as my favourite Legion GG artist when I was around that same age.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

I only collected Legion of Super Heroes for a brief stint after the 1980 relaunch (when the series jettisoned Superboy) because I was 12 years old and thought Shadow Lass and Dawnstar were hot. :x

Legion of Super-Heroes #265

You weren't (and still aren't) wrong! 

11 hours ago, valiantman said:

Superman #233 would like you to reconsider. 

Superman Vol 1 233 | DC Database | Fandom

Sure, one of the all-time classic Superman covers. However, not too many folks putting together a Superman run from #200-#423 that I can see. Great books, and I love Curt Swan, but definite slow movers these days, especially when you hit issues #300+. It wouldn't take much hunting or funds to put together such a run, if there's any desire. Maybe now's the time to do it.

On 9/28/2020 at 9:26 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Been a while since I read mine and slabbed it (8.5), so feel free to report back and blast me lol

My rather brief report on Champions #1. First off you have to love a  book that features Hercules and the Ghost Rider. Then toss in a couple of X-men, the Harpies, Cerebrus, the Mutates,Hippolyta's Amazons, and finally Pluto with a stern warning, and you have enough ammo to fuel several dozen more issues sorting it all out. lol

champions_1_finalpg.jpeg

On 9/27/2020 at 12:05 PM, letsgrumble said:

I’m a run collector of many Marvel and DC mainstream titles.

With comic conventions cancelled this year, I’ve really missed digging through the bins. And with many years of doing this under my belt, I can readily see which titles are the slow movers that even I would pass over. Or which titles I am dumbfounded sitting in a bargain bin at a dollar. 

There are so many titles I would classify as bottom-tier, bargain-bin books that they need to be further classified into separate tiers. And these examples have to be restricted to Marvel and DC bronze to copper-age otherwise I'd be listing thousands of titles. So here goes:

TIER I – ABSOLUTE DREK: Titles devoid of collectability.

Examples:
All-Star Squadron (1981)
Arak: Son of Thunder (1981)
Phantom Stranger (1969)
Warlord (1976)
John Carter, Warlord of Mars (1977)
Power Man & Iron Fist (1974)
Sleepwalker (1991)
Wonder Man (1991)
X-Factor (1986)

TIER II – DREK SOME PEOPLE LOVE: Titles that would be devoid of collectability if it weren’t for some of you odd fellows out there.

Amethyst (1983, 1985)
Kamandi (1972)
Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes (1976)
Alpha Flight (1983) 
Cable (1993)
Cloak and Dagger (1985, 1990)
Darkhawk (1990)

TIER III – SO, WHOS ACTUALLY BUYING THESE BOOKS? Titles we assume as collectable but sit unsold in bargain bins.

Superman (1939), post-200 issues
Marvel Comics Presents (1988)
Mighty Thor (1966), post-200 issues
World's Finest Comics (1941)

TIER IV – THE HARD TRUTH: Titles that are and will be regular run-of-the-mill bargain bin fodder until further notice.

New Teen Titans (1980)
Avengers (1963), post-200 issues
Daredevil (1964) yes, even the Frank Miller issues
Defenders (1972) 
Doctor Strange (1974)
Hulk (1968), post-200 issues excluding McFarlane
Invaders (1975)
Iron Man (1968)
Ka-Zar (1974)
Marvel Team-Up (1970)
Marvel Two-In-One (1972)
New Mutants (1983)
West Coast Avengers (1985)

TIER V – FLICKER OF HOPE: Titles, commonly found in bargain bins, now showing some life or renewed interest.

DC Comics Presents (1978)
Avengers (1963)
Conan the Barbarian (1970)
Eternals (1985)
Fantastic Four (1961), post-200 issues
Marvel Fanfare (1982)
Marvel Tales (1964)
Master of Kung-Fu (1974)
Moon Knight (1980)
Namor, the Sub-Mariner (1968)
Sensational She-Hulk (1989)
Wolverine (1988)

TIER VI – IT’S GOLD JERRY, GOLD: Titles that have graduated out of the bargain bin and into the sanctity of collections.

The Flash (1959, 1987) late bronze to copper
Wonder Woman (1942, 1987) late bronze to copper
Amazing Spider-Man (1963) later post-McFarlane issues no longer considered drek.
Captain America (1968)
Eternals (1976)
Ms. Marvel (1977)
Uncanny X-Men (1963) post-Byrne to issue 300

Disclaimer: I’m pulling all of this out of my . I have no credibility and write this with my own personal bias. I've also rushed this list so I can get ready for today’s NFL football games.

Have to disagree with All-Star Squadron (1981) - Tier II at least. The fans of the series are hardcore although not Legion hardcore. In the original art world collectors fight like rabid dogs after even routine pages from the  Buckler/Ordway issues

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/25/2020 at 7:12 PM, Tafkap said:

Micronauts.  Although 2 issues have some value in 9.8, the rest are not.  This was the series that got me hooked into comics.  The first 12 issues were one epic story; I was kind-of disappointed when they came to earth early on; I thought adventures in the Microverse were super-cool.

I then got into the heyday of X-Men and Michael Golden left Micronauts and the magic was gone.

Amen