• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weekend Auction #5 Soft Ending Sun 8 PM now with extended bidding
2 2

51 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, OdinsSecrets said:

Not sure why a seller wouldn't want to get the best price for their book if there are people willing to bid...

Well......duh lol

My point was that with this format, if someone like Comcav has his eye on a book, there's no reason for someone like me to even bid. In reality, it could actually draw fewer bidders resulting in a lower price. If it were more beneficial to do extended bidding, I'm sure eBay would have been all over it by now

4 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

Well......duh lol

My point was that with this format, if someone like Comcav has his eye on a book, there's no reason for someone like me to even bid. In reality, it could actually draw fewer bidders resulting in a lower price. If it were more beneficial to do extended bidding, I'm sure eBay would have been all over it by now

Here is my reason why... and perhaps and further explanation clouds the auction and drifts into threadcrapping.

"...So basically (you set the time) let's say you implement a 30 minute rule.  The auction closes for each book thirty minutes after the final bid.   You are NOT eBay where you are generating traffic so you have to give more opportunities to a limited audience.  Eventually if I wanted to game the system on your auctions I am going to wait until the last minute and place a bid of a few dollars more at the last second as it closes and hope to beat everyone else.  If you implement a time extension rule like Metro / ComicConnect and Heritage does, then you eradicate anyone from gaming your rules.  I am actually at more of an incentive to bid early to forego any of the nonsense at the end and weed out certain bidders.   This would also allow bidders a chance to return and take the book home..."

Because eventually, no one is going to bid at all and just put in minimum small bids to see who takes a book home for a song. 

4 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

Well......duh lol

err... until I see a study from eBay, I wouldn't presume they have evaluated it one way or the other.  They picked their horse, snipes, and the whole ecosystem is built on it.  They CAN'T change now.   I get outbid on dozens of books every week, I'm a far cry from the biggest money danger on the boards.  I'm just an active annoyance...

11 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

Well......duh lol

I mean if someone really wanted it they could just hit the BIN still, if money is no object, but most people still try to pay market price. Obviously having more money will always be an advantage in an auction, but just having more money doesn't necessarily mean you're willing to pay the most.

10 minutes ago, Comcav said:

err... until I see a study from eBay, I wouldn't presume they have evaluated it one way or the other.  They picked their horse, snipes, and the whole ecosystem is built on it.  They CAN'T change now.   I get outbid on dozens of books every week, I'm a far cry from the biggest money danger on the boards.  I'm just an active annoyance...

Each type of auction has its merits. I’ll have both types in the months ahead.

Current leaders:

1. Pep #19- Comcav $740

2. Jungle Comics #69- Joshua33 $300

3. The Beyond #28- Omegadepot $60

4.  Amazing Spider-Man #99- Comicshows $40

Will be posting a buncha books GA through CA this afternoon and tomorrow in Mixed.

Current leaders:

1. Pep #18- Comcav $740

2. Jungle Comics #69- Comcav $320

3. The Beyond #28- Omegadepot $60

4.  Amazing Spider-Man #99- Loug2 $50

About to post a a few more books in mixed including a few GA.

Edited by whomerjay
Pep 18 not 19