• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should CGC notate books featured in Seduction of the Innocent on slabs?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

I have some SOTI slabs that are notated and some that are not.  One that is 

I also thought this was the same with POP books in which some are notated and some are not.  

Not sure if it is a timing of when graded or the discretion of CGC or something else?

2105201704491.jpg

Edited by telerites

4 minutes ago, Moater said:

Shouldn't SOTI book collectors not want that info on the label? Seems to me such labeling just causes the prices to rise. Since SOTI collectors are already knowledgeable about these books couldn't they get them cheaper if the info was not on the label?

Or is this just a label measuring contest?

Some collectors might not want the competition (so they can get books cheaper), but educating the next generations of collectors is the only way to ensure that books which should be valued historically and long-term aren't drowned out by the books which are recent, meaningless, and very, very loud.

11 hours ago, Doctor Dositheus said:

Some already do, but as usual it seems completely random which copies get notated and which ones don't.
usedinSOTI.thumb.JPG.42fe0cfb40586f8a21b7f8d417ef5cd9.JPG

Is it just books whose covers were featured in SOTI maybe?  Remember CGC there are plenty of books where the pages were used in SOTI to excoriate comics.

Side question-are most of the SOTI books from the same general time eg wertham went to newstand and picked up the specimens over the time he was writing his idiotic book?

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Some collectors might not want the competition (so they can get books cheaper), but educating the next generations of collectors is the only way to ensure that books which should be valued historically and long-term aren't drowned out by the books which are recent, meaningless, and very, very loud.

I don’t think there are more than a handful of censorship collectors. Pretty much of them are already noted in Guide so those looking for them have their wantlists. 

Many, are very minor books or minor mentions. Not really noteworthy or valuable any way. I don’t see a rush on them probably ever. 

SOTIguy over in GA is probably the most serious collector of them and I think he already has most or all of them. He probably even has a spread sheet. 

Myself and two other guys were going after them hard in the mid 1970’s. We would swap info and submitted ton of them to Overstreet. Eventually, when I got the best ones and ones I really liked, I quit. Just didn’t see paying money for books like “The Little Fur Tree”...

But they should be noted on labels for if nothing else, their historical significance. 

I refused to send my EC annuals in for grading. I wanted them to note the contents on the label.

These are made up from random unsold issues. In the case of my TOT #1, it has 3 first issues and one second issue. All issues vary but I felt this was a special one (and of course more desirable and worth more). 

They didn’t want to confirm them and told me “it didn’t matter”. I even offered to provide the documentation for them. It would be simple as they are supposed to count the pages anyway. No dice...

It finally took Jim Halprin from Heritage to have them confirm his. Really turned me off and I haven’t had them done. 

I had several Edgar Church copies that I bought directly from Chuck in the late 1970’s turned down because they were later issues without markings. I had confirmation from 3 well respected long time dealers confirm them.

They should put most anything on a label you ask for unless it is “inappropriate” if you provide solid documentation. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I refused to send my EC annuals in for grading. I wanted them to note the contents on the label.

These are made up from random unsold issues. In the case of my TOT #1, it has 3 first issues and one second issue. All issues vary but I felt this was a special one (and of course more desirable and worth more). 

They didn’t want to confirm them and told me “it didn’t matter”. I even offered to provide the documentation for them. It would be simple as they are supposed to count the pages anyway. No dice...

It finally took Jim Halprin from Heritage to have them confirm his. Really turned me off and I haven’t had them done. 

I had several Edgar Church copies that I bought directly from Chuck in the late 1970’s turned down because they were later issues without markings. I had confirmation from 3 well respected long time dealers confirm them.

They should put most anything on a label you ask for unless it is “inappropriate” if you provide solid documentation. 

CGC has finally started noting the contents of the EC Annuals (and, presumably, the Fox Giants), but only if the submitter asks.  After seeing lots of postings for them, it seems to me that most sellers of these books don't seem to care what the contents are.  However, as a buyer, I am looking ONLY for specific contents within books, and I frequently send sellers a message asking them about the contents of their books.  Clearly I'm not the only one.  Overstreet  notes that the interior contents determine the value.  So I fail to understand the logic of CGC sealing these comics in a plastic tomb without at least noting what's in them. 

15 minutes ago, snitzer said:

Pinging @SOTIcollector for visibility (thumbsu

...personally, I would love to see proper SOTI notations on CGC labels.

Thanks, Snitzer!  I appreciate the heads-up on a thread that I might have missed.

I can't speak for other SOTI collectors, but as a collector who has spent decades hunting down SOTI books, I can say that I'm happy to see the notation on the label.  I feel that CGC should always include it.  In fact, this summer I sent in my Tween Age Digest #1 for grading.  I confirmed with CGC in advance that they would label this book as SOTI, because I wasn't going to spend my time and money on grading it if they were not going to label it as SOTI.  By getting the notation, I expect to be able to add the book to my SOTI registry set.

I can't imagine that the notation on the label will drive up the price of a book I want. Here's how I look at it.  Collectors aren't looking for Hulk 181 because the label says "First Wolverine."  They want the first Wolverine, so they find out what his first appearance is, and then they search for 181.  I expect SOTI collectors are likely to be the same.  They decide to find a list of SOTI books (like the list on my website, LostSOTI.org) and shop based on that, rather than hunting for things with a specific label notation. 

To be honest, I believe this is another case of important details being passed over because of time constraints.

Many of the EC's were notorious for having little to no information on the labels before the labels were expanded and improved. I can't tell you how many of them had to be significantly updated, and that was just for the art comments. For instance, most of them just had the last names of the artists and writers listed, and even those were lacking. 

I also believe that part of the issue is that many of these classic books come in less frequently than they used to, which gives the graders less of an opportunity to add information to the data fields. Not only that, but the volume of other submissions has increased to the point where graders don't have the luxury to research every book that crosses their desk. 

It really is a shame, because in my mind EC's are the "creme de la creme" of the comic book crop...