• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To press and clean or not to press and clean
2 2

18 posts in this topic

I have two books I wanted to resubmit post-cleaning/pressing but since I’ve never done this before I thought I’d check to see where this rates on the scale of good/bad ideas. 

I can post photos if that’s helpful but thought I’d lean on the grader’s notes first:

1) FF 49 7.0 OW/W PQ

Light cover tanning 

Light foxing to cover 

Light wear spine 

2) IH 181 9.0 OW/W PQ

Small chip out left top of back cover

Spine stress lines spine breaks color 

Lastly, if this belongs on another part of the forum let me know and I’ll relocate quickly. 

A888EE93-EF83-4977-9B59-2A5EB28BEDAC.jpeg

97C77F1C-F339-4373-97CC-15285D68C62B.jpeg

33A1860E-809A-44D7-AE2F-C60A55F17D84.jpeg

1F82B948-73F8-4589-8922-EFA4E3B03775.jpeg

650726D2-245D-44AD-AE63-2CEC13E68861.jpeg

Edited by DocSaum
Added photos

8 hours ago, csaag said:

By "light fixing" did u mean "light foxing,"?

Just from the notes posted, it doesn't sound like a press would help.

+1   Foxing, tanning, staining, mentioned prominently in grader's notes typically = poor pressing candidate. Unless the book has any of these defects of discoloring and a bunch of revisable defects that would lend well to pressing. For instance, say a 3.0 with discoloring defects plus a spine roll, thus realigning the roll might yield a 4.5 or more, the value drastically increased if the book is costly enough to warrant it

1 hour ago, StreetPreacher said:

Wow, so the grader noticed creases even AFTER the book was pressed?

I had the same thing happen.  The book I sent in also had a light pencil in the white portions of the logo.  I sent to get pressed and cleaned and on the graders notes after it said "very light pencil marks" so they still noted them, even after they were cleaned by CCS.  I think the book did gain a little eye appeal maybe but it was a pretty high cost to pay (about $215 with shipping) for no bump in grade and only minor eye appeal increase.

3 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

Correct. A little disappointed with that, however in my case, it was a book that wasn’t overly cared for found in a long box, so I was hoping for 4.5 to 6.0 so getting a 6.0 was ok in my book

8 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

Depends on the creases. Do they fracture the color? That's the key question. Once the color is gone, fractured and flaked out of the crease's furrow, a press might be able to reduce the depth of the crease in many cases, but a press cannot revise the missing color flaked from the channel of that crease, thus even flattened, the visual aesthetics will likely not be changed to an appreciably sufficient degree to warrant a grade bump. 

On 9/26/2020 at 8:23 AM, DocSaum said:

I have two books I wanted to resubmit post-cleaning/pressing but since I’ve never done this before I thought I’d check to see where this rates on the scale of good/bad ideas. 

I can post photos if that’s helpful but thought I’d lean on the grader’s notes first:

1) FF 49 7.0 OW/W PQ

Light cover tanning 

As far as the tanning goes, it might be excellent research for you to study the silver age high grade Marvels from the Nadia and Joe Mannarino collection. Many of these are structurally exceptional 9.2 to 9.4 quality books from the aspect of wear, but.................... many of them are CGC graded 8.0 and 8.5 due to varied degree of edge toning, light to dark. 

Point is that if you have a book that otherwise looks to be solid 9.2 or 9.4 quality, and tone/tanning relegates it to 8.0 or 8.5, think of how equivalent degree of tone/tanned edges is going to impact the grade on a book of otherwise 8.0 area quality! 

On 9/27/2020 at 5:18 PM, James J Johnson said:

As far as the tanning goes, it might be excellent research for you to study the silver age high grade Marvels from the Nadia and Joe Mannarino collection. Many of these are structurally exceptional 9.2 to 9.4 quality books from the aspect of wear, but.................... many of them are CGC graded 8.0 and 8.5 due to varied degree of edge toning, light to dark. 

Point is that if you have a book that otherwise looks to be solid 9.2 or 9.4 quality, and tone/tanning relegates it to 8.0 or 8.5, think of how equivalent degree of tone/tanned edges is going to impact the grade on a book of otherwise 8.0 area quality! 

Much appreciated! Foxing and tanning weren’t in my area of expertise and neither was anything GA and not much SA until the boards started positively influencing my brain and negatively influencing my wallet. Will look into collections and definitely agree that it impacts grading as this book presents really well and deceptively gave me the impression it could grade better. Thanks again.