• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solicited eBay Message
1 1

70 posts in this topic

I am aware of that you are not a fan of Dylan's Auctions and am not a follower of him.

Not long ago after I sold Hulk copy,  I got the email from Dylanauctions this morning and I scoffed.  Of course, I will not reply to his egomaniac thing.  Wondered if you got this message too.

Here is his message:

1771763902_ScreenShot2020-09-27at8_17_04AM.png.67e939a97f82ed8e664217a12529fc6f.png

Reminds me of the wild wild west days when everyone could see everyone's ebay handle on both selling and bidding side. I would be bidding on a comic and get multiple emails from other sellers before the auction even ended. Or best was if hammer bid came in super large and caught folks off guard; the runner up bidders would be getting flooded with emails form other sellers offering same slabbed comics or toys etc. 

22 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, I got a shorter version of this the other day. 

Just before he blew up on the internet I was the high bidder on 3 of his auctions. I knew nothing of him when I bid. 

I was shocked when I received my books. One graded as 3.0 was a 2.0. OK, eBay grading...

One was graded 7.0 was a 4.0! Wow, is this guy blind?

Last was a 5.0. Came with a detached back cover and split top and bottom several inches. Clearly never even taken out of the bag when “graded”. 

Contacted him and got the curt message “send them back and check “didn’t like it”. No apology, or sorry for wasting my time. Nothing but this. A clear attempt to “play the system” to his benefit. 

Other than the last one I could see what I was getting and bid accordingly. I got them very cheap to “acceptable” price wise. If I were him I would have said just keep them with a full refund and a “I am very sorry” or at the least offer a partial refund. 

This kid is very stupid and clearly thinks he is smarter than anyone else. Maybe if he concentrated more on serving his customers better, learning to grade, and showing a little humility instead of trying to “beat the system”, he might have a career in the comic biz. 

A real shame that some of the younger crowd in this hobby have yet to realize this. We need new blood. Guys like this and several local Instagram “flippers”, don’t get this. 

Not only will I not make him a “favorite seller”, I will NEVER  buy from him again. In addition, he will be soon getting 3 “unfavorable” feedbacks on his record...

1FD8ED06-7A37-4FEA-A871-D6A69BCFF2F8.jpeg

472E19B2-E9BD-4F66-A57A-E2B6EDC80C8C.jpeg

B406E3FA-A15C-4E9B-8C37-850D1BABC58C.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, I got a shorter version of this the other day. 

Just before he blew up on the internet I was the high bidder on 3 of his auctions. I knew nothing of him when I bid. 

I was shocked when I received my books. One graded as 3.0 was a 2.0. OK, eBay grading...

One was graded 7.0 was a 4.0! Wow, is this guy blind?

Last was a 5.0. Came with a detached back cover and split top and bottom several inches. Clearly never even taken out of the bag when “graded”. 

Contacted him and got the curt message “send them back and check “didn’t like it”. No apology, or sorry for wasting my time. Nothing but this. A clear attempt to “play the system” to his benefit. 

Other than the last one I could see what I was getting and bid accordingly. I got them very cheap to “acceptable” price wise. If I were him I would have said just keep them with a full refund and a “I am very sorry” or at the least offer a partial refund. 

This kid is very stupid and clearly thinks he is smarter than anyone else. Maybe if he concentrated more on serving his customers better, learning to grade, and showing a little humility instead of trying to “beat the system”, he might have a career in the comic biz. 

A real shame that some of the younger crowd in this hobby have yet to realize this. We need new blood. Guys like this and several local Instagram “flippers”, don’t get this. 

Not only will I not make him a “favorite seller”, I will NEVER  buy from him again. In addition, he will be soon getting 3 “unfavorable” feedbacks on his record...

1FD8ED06-7A37-4FEA-A871-D6A69BCFF2F8.jpeg

472E19B2-E9BD-4F66-A57A-E2B6EDC80C8C.jpeg

B406E3FA-A15C-4E9B-8C37-850D1BABC58C.jpeg

5.0?  lol 

Clearly he's over grading.  Clearly he's aggressive.  Clearly he's taking shortcuts to make money.   

Edited by thehumantorch

I remember an ad for a used Maserati. It was selling for $2700. I called and asked what was wrong with the vehicle and the seller immediately said, "Nothing." I was curious so I went to check it out and it had rust, body damage, and half the gears were stripped. That's how it feels every time Dylan sells a book that is ridiculously overgraded. 

Overgrading is just sloppy. He obviously sells TONS of books on ebay every month. He is playing the odds that more people won't complain and send books back. How he gets so many positives is way beyond me. Are people blind? He even get positives with "overgrading" in the comments. Are people scared to leave a neutral or a negative?

What gets me the most is his calculated attitude about it. He knows exactly what he is doing. He also seems to have the support of his father. What kind of parent raises his kids that way? They seem to have no idea what ethics and common decency are.

His career in this hobby will be short lived...

19 minutes ago, SuperGrover said:

I don’t understand the (age 20) and member since 2009... has he been selling since he was 9?

I believe he is partners with his dad? Or something like that.

At any rate, time catches up with poor and shoddy sellers. Sadly it usually comes after a number of people fall victim.

26 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Are people blind?

Normally I am very forgiving for bad grading on eBay where the item is photographed well and all defects are pictured. I checked out your 5.0 with the detached back cover on eBays sold listings and I can say he failed miserably. From the photos it is impossible to tell that the back cover is detached. BTW who paid for the return shipping?

When my friend Jim Silver was briefly running Wizard, I asked him if it would be possible to have a grading seminar at some of the shows. He said he'd look into it.  A week or so later I was told no, it wasn't going to happen.

Edited by shadroch

Just now, shadroch said:

When my friend Jim Silver was briefly running Wizard, I asked him if it would be possible to have a grading seminar at some of the shows. He said he'd look into it. A week or s later I was told no, it wasn't going to happen.

I've said this before.  People should be paid to train others how to grade.  If you (and I don't mean Shadroch) can't fathom paying to learn how to grade or to get better at something I don't know what to say.  

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I've said this before.  People should be paid to train others how to grade.  If you (and I don't mean Shadroch) can't fathom paying to learn how to grade or to get better at something I don't know what to say.  

In this case, it’s easy money over integrity.  Dylan clearly does enough business with CGC that he could take a few minutes to look over his plethora slabs to bring his grading more into alignment with industry standards.  

But it’s quicker, and likely more profitable, to deceive customers with overinflated grades and hope they don’t notice.