• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overstreet Top 10 Lists

17 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, OtherEric said:
5 hours ago, Primetime said:

A1CAAAB6-360F-435D-B6C5-61B6697ED0FC.jpeg

Thank you for posting this.

My question:  Are Venus 17-19 not considered horror comics for some reason?

Looks like they just looked at prices for some of the "first" issues even when other pre-code horror books guide for more. 

I'm also a bit surprised to see TTA #1 on the list but, if it is, why was Tales of Suspense 1 excluded? It's worth more than #7.

1 hour ago, waaaghboss said:

If possoble can anyone post a top lost from the first oversheet?  Or the first time they compiled a list?  I saw it on a YouTube video someone linked here q. While back, but can't find the video.   

Are you referring to this YouTube video here which took me less than a minute to find through Google:  :gossip:

Looks like if you have a copy of Four Color 10 (i.e. Flash Gordon) which was tied for #9th spot in his Top 10 has actually gone down in value in Good condition (according to Overstreet that is) over the decades.  :whatthe:  :cry:

1 hour ago, waaaghboss said:

If possoble can anyone post a top lost from the first oversheet? 

Overstreet did not compile a list of the most valuable single issues in the early Guides.

After the Guide was established, Robert Crestohl started doing a "Top Hundred Titles" in the guide where he tabulated the value of entire runs of books using the prior year's guide values. In the second half of the seventies, Crestohl expanded this list to add individual books and then further expanded it with separate Silver Age lists as the popularity of those books exploded. (Overstreet of course would never share what upcoming guide value would be, so the lists at that time were always based on prior year Guide prices).  

For those curious, the six most valuable "titles" from the first guide were Adventure Comics, More Fun Comics, Detective Comics, Marvel Mystery Comics, King Comics, and finally Action Comics.

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Are you referring to this YouTube video here which took me less than a minute to find through Google:  :gossip:

Looks like if you have a copy of Four Color 10 (i.e. Flash Gordon) which was tied for #9th spot in his Top 10 has actually gone down in value in Good condition (according to Overstreet that is) over the decades.  :whatthe:  :cry:

That's the one.  

I was working on a few of the books on that list that were 'affordable'.  I have a Single Series 20, Feature Book 25, and lost out on Four Color 10, again, by a bid sniper not even 2 weeks ago :(

24 minutes ago, waaaghboss said:

I was working on a few of the books on that list that were 'affordable'.  I have a Single Series 20, Feature Book 25, and lost out on Four Color 10, again, by a bid sniper not even 2 weeks ago :(

So, I guess they are not surprisingly going for more than what Overstreet has them listed for in his guide.  :(

Edited by lou_fine