• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know the print run for Canto #1 from IDW?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I agree that it is difficult to find print run info about this comic.  But do you know of anywhere one can find print run info on any comic?  Unless they are specific variants that actually tell you how much of a given comic is printed, I haven't found any resources that tell you print run of comics.  So the print run seems as unknowable as most other comics.

If one was interested, one could go to comicchron and look at Diamond distributor data for estimated monthly sales, and make sure you account for the various printings, and factor in variants as best you can.  But of course sales do not necessarily have a correlation to print run.  Although I think we can gather that this comic probably had less printed than Amazing Spiderman, and the number of reprints makes one think that print runs of each printing were not exceptionally high like over 100K.  But was it 7K, 10K, 15-20K? any specific estimate you made based on available could be off by 25-50-125%.  

Not an accurate “print run” per se, but Comichron posts an initial order number of 6,318. For a book like this, it’s hard to estimate reorders and how many were actually printed, but I think the 1:10 is seriously undervalued, especially considering the wide damages that were documented for these comics. 

1 hour ago, jeranimal said:

Thanks for the responses everyone!  

Any more background on the known issues with the print run, as noted below?  

Thanks in advance!

most copies of cover A and the 1:10 incentive were damaged. some have had luck in using a humidity chamber and pressing out that damage. but 9.8s are not an easy grade to get with the books