• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yikes don’t hate me!! But....
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I am ONLY considering this because CGC doesn’t authenticate signatures.. I have a complete Dynamic Forces set of Venom Funeral Pyre that are in really good shape... Tom Lyle 866/2500 with COA...

do I CGC green label or CBCS and have it authenticated too?

3 minutes ago, JDubeCT said:

I am ONLY considering this because CGC doesn’t authenticate signatures.. I have a complete Dynamic Forces set of Venom Funeral Pyre that are in really good shape... Tom Lyle 866/2500 with COA...

no one will hate you either way I think.  But its honestly quite subjective based on what your goals and preferences (with regards to both profit and risk) are.  

BUT I will say this, if you are not absolutely sure they are 100% flawless comics that you will get guaranteed 9.8's on (no matter who is grading), THERE IS ZERO CHANCE IT WILL BE WORTH IT FINANCIALLY, although it still may fit your collection or personal goals.

But for the rest of it, do your research on ebay (sold copies work best) and see if you can find other comics that are CBCS Signature Verified vs CGC green label for the same grade and see which prices line up with your preferences.  Of course you have to factor in your costs too, as well as turnaround time, opportunity cost, shipping, insurance, expected grade probabilities, etc.  And then see if either of those options (or not grading at all) gets you closer to your desired results. You may need to factor in selling costs/time/venue as well, possibly including fees and taxes.

Good luck.

7 hours ago, shadroch said:

Would you go on a McDonalds sponsored forum and ask what is good at Jack in the Box?

Hey Shad! Honestly, CGC has allowed so many anti-CBCS posts to linger here in spite of their years old stating that any mention of CBCS would be wiped. So why not go to Mickey D to see what's good at Jack? If CGC allows mention of CBCS in a negative light as often as they do, they should danged well allow any talk about them...or stick to their word and do a thorough housecleaning of all CBCS related posts.

16 hours ago, JDubeCT said:

Look at the prices they are selling for on eBay. My guess is that you will be wasting your $$$ even if they are 9.8 as the profit margin will be the same as selling them raw.

I was looking to slab for preservation more than anything but was also not looking to kill the value... not that there is much... it’s part of my personal collection along with an AMS 101, 300, 316, 361... and so on LOL... it’s more just trying to figure if the green label hurts the value more than a cbcs would.. I don’t like cbcs at all just the verify thing

13 minutes ago, JDubeCT said:

I was looking to slab for preservation more than anything but was also not looking to kill the value... not that there is much... it’s part of my personal collection along with an AMS 101, 300, 316, 361... and so on LOL... it’s more just trying to figure if the green label hurts the value more than a cbcs would.. I don’t like cbcs at all just the verify thing

nothing wrong with preservation, but then maybe an acid free backing board with a high quality mylar might be just as good (and much cheaper than slabbing).  Others can probably and probably will chip in with more specific instructions or ideas.

1 hour ago, JDubeCT said:

I was looking to slab for preservation more than anything

That's a terrible reason to send it in. If it's for preservation, then you have your answer, don't send it. There are archival materials to store your comic in that are better (like mylars or mylytes) and you won't risk any snafus during shipping.

29 minutes ago, William-James88 said:
1 hour ago, JDubeCT said:

I was looking to slab for preservation more than anything

That's a terrible reason to send it in. If it's for preservation, then you have your answer, don't send it. There are archival materials to store your comic in that are better (like mylars or mylytes) and you won't risk any snafus during shipping.

Exactly. One of the things that irritates me most about what the practice of slabbing has wrought is the misbelief that sticking it in a slab is the epitome of preservation. It isn't. Ideal paper storage environmental conditions will do far more for collectors in the long run than a plastic slab will. 

CBCS verified signature will cost significantly more than Qualified CGC label, and if it’s not a clean typical sig it may not be verifiable, even if it is authentic. 
Unless the signature’s verification adds more than $50 in sale value, I wouldn’t bother. Jack Kirby sig would be worth it, Tom Lyle, probably not.

I use both CGC and CBCS depending on a multitude of factors; they each have their quirks. Unless I’m a paid spokesperson I see no incentive to hate on one or the other.

14 hours ago, Joosh said:

CBCS verified signature will cost significantly more than Qualified CGC label, and if it’s not a clean typical sig it may not be verifiable, even if it is authentic. 
Unless the signature’s verification adds more than $50 in sale value, I wouldn’t bother. Jack Kirby sig would be worth it, Tom Lyle, probably not.

I use both CGC and CBCS depending on a multitude of factors; they each have their quirks. Unless I’m a paid spokesperson I see no incentive to hate on one or the other.

Go to PGX, where you belong!