• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

バットマン ? Bat-manga and Batman in Japan
1 1

9 posts in this topic

With the recent death of manga artist/writer Jiro Kuwata, I have been slowly collecting some original 'Shonen King' Bat-manga titles here in Japan. This is the first appearance in issue #23 from June 1966.  These books are really cool and getting harder to find, especially with Batman related covers.  The lower margin of the splash page advertises the weekly TV program (with Adam West) on primetime Sunday evenings at 6:30!

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

Edited by BanjerD

Wow, seeing Infantino Elongated man art.. The colours appear excellent and page quality looks very nice. Photos can be deceptive. Did they repeat any of the classic SA covers like Tec 359.  The Bat covers look original, but were any of the stories original.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:21 AM, BanjerD said:

With the recent death of manga artist/writer Jiro Kuwata, I have been slowly collecting some original 'Shonen King' Bat-manga titles here in Japan. This is the first appearance in issue #23 from June 1966.  These books are really cool and getting harder to find, especially with Batman related covers.  The lower margin of the splash page advertises the weekly TV program (with Adam West) on primetime Sunday evenings at 6:30!

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

Does this predate lord deathman's appearance in the west?

25 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Does this predate lord deathman's appearance in the west?

According to "DC Database" Jiro Kuwata's shinigami is an adaption of the Lord Death Man from Batman #180 from May 1966

Edited by BanjerD

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Thanks, I looked a bit into it. They must have coordinated themselves behind the scenes since Batmsn 180 was out just the month before.

My first introduction to Lord Death Man was the Japanese story, so when I went and read Batman 180 I was soooo disappointed as the story itself was so underdeveloped and just terrible compared to the great version by Kuwata (who seemed to add the right amount of new info and details to the story to make it work better)