• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.0 wp vs. 9.2 ow/wp
4 4

39 posts in this topic

It's the eye appeal for the money that matters most to me.  Sometimes the structural grade doesn't reflect my sense of eye appeal - I care about the nature and placement of structural flaws, the whiteness of the cover stock, the cleanliness of the covers, the cover registration, the richness of the cover inks, the placement of the staples, and the whiteness of the interior pages.  To spend the extra money to buy a slabbed comic with a higher grade, for me it needs to have an overall look significantly nicer than a less expensive and lower graded copy.  Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't.

Edited by namisgr

It would be cool to see pictures of each copy, but probably not possible and I understand.

I’m curious to see the differences if any. I’m new here so my words may not mean much, but I would prefer buying a copy that has White Pages. Especially if I’m spending that kind of money on a comic. The Difference between a 9.0 and 9.2 are probably something seen under super close magnification and for that reason I’d go with the 9.0 WP.

Can always sell your lower graded copy and the 9.0 to get a 9.6 or higher down the road. I’m not sure the values of any of these,  it I’m just saying that could be an option later on to upgrade.

Either way man good luck!!

On 10/5/2020 at 9:34 AM, valiantman said:

You asked about "as a %" so it's math time!

Assume you decided to buy Giant-Size X-Men #1 in 2010 instead of 2020... and you spent the $4,000 ten years ago.

9.2 = four copies for $4K in 2010, currently worth $18,000 total

9.0 = five copies for $4K in 2010, currently worth $20,000 total

8.0 = nine copies for $4K in 2010, currently worth $26,500 total

The percentage winner ten years ago until today would have been the CGC 8.0.

Just for fun, the CGC 9.8 and CGC 9.6 GSXmen1 would have been worse % gain investments than 9.2 and 9.0.

That's a really interesting way to look at it. 

Would the single book investment #s play out the same way? For example if he bought one 9.2 for $1k in 2010 would the return on investment outweigh buying a single 8.0 in 2010? 

I feel like the high end of the market has outpaced the lower end, meaning a single 9.2 would be a better investment than a single 8.0. 

But that's all my perception with no facts, so I'm curious what the #s say. 

2 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

That's a really interesting way to look at it. 

Would the single book investment #s play out the same way? For example if he bought one 9.2 for $1k in 2010 would the return on investment outweigh buying a single 8.0 in 2010? 

I feel like the high end of the market has outpaced the lower end, meaning a single 9.2 would be a better investment than a single 8.0. 

But that's all my perception with no facts, so I'm curious what the #s say. 

The percentages would be the same.

If there's not a significant difference in pricing and you could afford the markup then 9.2 would be my preference. Have you scoured the market for 9.2 whites? I think there's several available at any given time so there could be another reasonable priced copy you may like. I would prefer the highest grade I could afford on such a major key. 

As for PQ I have a particular OCD that prevents me from having more non WP than WP for any given year. I wish I could get rid of it. For example right now I have an even 3-3 PQ split on 1972 books. So if I add another non WP it may result in some emotional upheaval that I may not get under control :whatthe: lol...Obviously exaggerating but not completely. 

On 10/8/2020 at 11:27 AM, KCOComics said:

9.8s in particular had a big runup ~ 2005 (while every other grade was mostly flat) due to movie hype if memory serves. After that it came way down starring in 2008 hitting a low ~2011. It then started to steadily increase since then. This year its skyrocketed passed previous highs from the last few sales. If current trend continues those 10 year %s for 9.8 will look much better. 

I prefer the book that has the eye appeal. If you are considering two books a grade apart and you're having difficulty choosing between the two copies, the lower grade must have some strong appeal that causes you to pause. If this is the case, other collectors will likely also have the same reaction.

Diversify and buy the best copy that you can afford and you'll rarely go wrong.

Another vote for presentation, especially if the grade difference is so small.  Heck, I'd bet if you resubmitted both books again, there's a chance the 9.0 can get a bump and the 9.2 might get a downgrade.  White pages are great if you can get them, but OW/W is not far behind so I don't consider that a factor. I might reconsider if it was W vs OW, or worse. In any case, both books will age over time anyway unless you treat it chemically. 

Here's an example where I went from a 9.0 OW to an 8.5 W and couldn't be happier.  Not just because of presentation, but rather the back of the 9.0 looked a lot worse than OW.  In fact, the book looked brown while the 8.5 looked vibrant.

RAD7230E2014630_154817.jpg

det1.10898a.jpg

On 11/21/2020 at 6:44 AM, Brian48 said:

Another vote for presentation, especially if the grade difference is so small.  Heck, I'd bet if you resubmitted both books again, there's a chance the 9.0 can get a bump and the 9.2 might get a downgrade.  White pages are great if you can get them, but OW/W is not far behind so I don't consider that a factor. I might reconsider if it was W vs OW, or worse. In any case, both books will age over time anyway unless you treat it chemically. 

Here's an example where I went from a 9.0 OW to an 8.5 W and couldn't be happier.  Not just because of presentation, but rather the back of the 9.0 looked a lot worse than OW.  In fact, the book looked brown while the 8.5 looked vibrant.

RAD7230E2014630_154817.jpg

det1.10898a.jpg

Same for me, I don’t like anything below white. I would get the lower grade.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:21 AM, MGsimba77 said:

If there's not a significant difference in pricing and you could afford the markup then 9.2 would be my preference. Have you scoured the market for 9.2 whites? I think there's several available at any given time so there could be another reasonable priced copy you may like. I would prefer the highest grade I could afford on such a major key. 

As for PQ I have a particular OCD that prevents me from having more non WP than WP for any given year. I wish I could get rid of it. For example right now I have an even 3-3 PQ split on 1972 books. So if I add another non WP it may result in some emotional upheaval that I may not get under control :whatthe: lol...Obviously exaggerating but not completely. 

In order to avoid any additional trauma, I strongly suggest the immediate purchase of a book with white pages...  lol 

On 11/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, Brian48 said:

That's why the lowest page quality I can tolerate is OW/W...