• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I slab my superman #75 Platinum edition

14 posts in this topic

If you want it slabbed, cut the bag open yourself and keep it and all the goodies with you.  That poly bag can have adverse affects on the comic over time as well.  Personally, I would slab it to protect the book, then keep the bag and goodies with it.  Your call, of course. (thumbsu

Here are some things to consider...

Do you prefer the look of the bag or the cover of the Superman 75 platinum edition? Google if you have never seen...if you prefer one over the other, that could help your decision.

As for value, yes your book is sealed but that does not guarantee a 9.8 copy. Most likely it has succumbed to some wear in is life and might be a 9.4-9.6 copy. Graded 9.4 copies sell for around $120-150. 9.6's, $200-225. If you keep it in the bag, sales seem consistent around $150-200 range. So if this is purely a money move (or "investment" move, consider this).

Finally, the integrity of the comic. While true that the plastic could have adverse effects on the book, the plastics from the 70's (and comics from the 70's) are very different from plastics in the 90's (and comics from the 90's). A 90's comic in a bag and stored in an environment without extreme temp changes or humidity should last longer than you lifetime. 

What might be the winning answer is getting the comic graded and keeping the bag in its own bag and board. You know, for nostalgia purposes. That way when selling (if that is the goal) you have a graded copy that is hopefully a high grade (only way to get an idea is to open the bag...could be a 9.6 but could have sustained damage and be am 8.5) and you also have the original bag as an interest piece to go with it.

5 minutes ago, David Helton said:

Because I plan to pass it down to my kids and I keep it on display but I've heard over time the bag can ruin the comic 

If its not about value then open the bag and put the comic in a nice mylar bag with a board.  Could get a top holder as well if you wanted to.

7 minutes ago, David Helton said:

Because I plan to pass it down to my kids and I keep it on display but I've heard over time the bag can ruin the comic 

That's true. You can display a comic with a bag and board, though. I personally don't think many, if any, Moderns are worth slabbing unless they're witnessed being signed. 2c

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's true. You can display a comic with a bag and board, though. I personally don't think many, if any, Moderns are worth slabbing unless they're witnessed being signed. 2c

When you say "worth" - what do you mean?  Because I used to fund my comic habit almost exclusively by buying moderns raw in the $1-50 range and then slabbing them and flipping them for $100+ - sometimes blue label sometimes yellow label. If you can grade, and you know what is hot, there are dozens and dozens and dozens of books from the last 30 years that are worth slabbing.

5 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

When you say "worth" - what do you mean?  Because I used to fund my comic habit almost exclusively by buying moderns raw in the $1-50 range and then slabbing them and flipping them for $100+ - sometimes blue label sometimes yellow label. If you can grade, and you know what is hot, there are dozens and dozens and dozens of books from the last 30 years that are worth slabbing.

If he had a legit 9.8 contender, and was looking to sell, my opinion would differ. As far as a sight-unseen Modern, and looking to "display"? I don't see the point in sending it to FL for a year when you can just get a good bag+board.

17 hours ago, David Helton said:

If I removed it from the bag than I would have it pressed before sending it and to try and get a better grade 

Only have it pressed if getting a high grade is possible. if you open it and you see some colour breaking spine ticks, then pressing it won't help.