• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA stream of consciousness thread

244 posts in this topic

For your random OA-related thoughts when you can't be bothered to start (or it doesn't merit) a new thread.

A recurring one for me -- will I ever find a Simonson Beta Ray Bill page... probably not, damn. His first app. was my first "vintage" comic buy as a kid.

Many folks, dealers included, don't know how to price DeCarlo Archie OA properly by era.  Collectors are't buying Copper or most Bronze for Silver prices; the art is completely different.

Sandman OA... with the new Netflix series, seems poised for further longevity.  Shouldn't have passed up on reasonable Kindly Ones OA a few years ago.  I loved that story arc.

Edited by exitmusicblue

@exitmusicblue  ...great idea !!

What happened to the OA for the really early Spirit sections ?  Any character, not just the Spirit ??

Almost all the art you see starts from the late 40's.  Considering how much Eisner / Iger there is, I wonder why Eisner didn't save the early 40's art from the Spirit sections.  Any urban legends ?

Edited by Will_K

45 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

For your random OA-related thoughts when you can't be bothered to start (or it doesn't merit) a new thread.

A recurring one for me -- will I ever find a Simonson Beta Ray Bill page... probably not, damn. His first app. was my first "vintage" comic buy as a kid.

Many folks, dealers included, don't know how to price DeCarlo Archie OA properly by era.  Collectors are't buying Copper or most Bronze for Silver prices; the art is completely different.

Sandman OA... with the new Netflix series, seems poised for further longevity.  Shouldn't have passed up on reasonable Kindly Ones OA a few years ago.  I loved that story arc.

I passed on a Simonson Thor splash many years back. Just Thor flying with mighty hammer prominently leading the flight path. It sat at $5500 for a year and I looked at it almost everyday.

Finally I said, “time to sell and get enough to buy this.” I went back and it wasn’t there.,...the horror .,...

:(      S O L D

Mu guess one day Walt will let what he has go but just imaging what that’s going to cost on an open market. Now if they fall in the hands of our dealer friends first, oh forget it. The sticker shock will rival the first time you took your car to a mechanic as a teenager.

Funny you mentioned DeCarlo because the Grape had tons of the comics as a kid and was thinking about 1 cool page. But yeah pricing is foolish for all the reasons you said.

Sandman, I remember the page we were discussing last year either Ankur J or ESeffinga was the rep I think. Sandman pages always elusive and will command very good money depending on artist and content.

Finally back to Walt a Beta Ray Bill especially hard to get hold of.

ommmmmmmmmmmm 🎵 

Edited by grapeape

35 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I passed on a Simonson Thor splash many years back. Just Thor flying with mighty hammer prominently leading the flight path. It sat at $5500 for a year and I looked at it almost everyday.

Finally I said, “time to sell and get enough to buy this.” I went back and it wasn’t there.,...the horror .,...

:(      S O L D

Mu guess one day Walt will let what he has go but just imaging what that’s going to cost on an open market. Now if they fall in the hands of our dealer friends first, oh forget it. The sticker shock will rival the first time you took your car to a mechanic as a teenager.

Funny you mentioned DeCarlo because the Grape had tons of the comics as a kid and was thinking about 1 cool page. But yeah pricing is foolish for all the reasons you said.

Sandman, I remember the page we were discussing last year either Ankur J or ESeffinga was the rep I think. Sandman pages always elusive and will command very good money depending on artist and content.

Finally back to Walt a Beta Ray Bill especially hard to get hold of.

ommmmmmmmmmmm 🎵 

well said, well said; the first time I took my car to a mechanic... afterwards I swore to myself I'd live with any damage short of half-totalled going forward.

Indeed, years later, a decent stranger scratched up the rear of my car while it was parked on the street.  Left me a note saying he'd reimburse.  Official damage estimate was low 4 figures.  I accepted the money, and instead of repairing the scratches, promptly spent it elsewhere (probably OA).  }:-)

8 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

well said, well said; the first time I took my car to a mechanic... afterwards I swore to myself I'd live with any damage short of half-totalled going forward.

Indeed, years later, a decent stranger scratched up the rear of my car while it was parked on the street.  Left me a note saying he'd reimburse.  Official damage estimate was low 4 figures.  I accepted the money, and instead of repairing the scratches, promptly spent it elsewhere (probably OA).  }:-)

So you’re saying you got your money back.:roflmao:

There are price bumps when characters get a movie or tv series... are there equal price drops when the movie or show sucks (Iron Fist, Defenders, Green Lantern, Birds of Prey ...)?

Glad I got to meet some of my comic heroes.. Byrne, Adams, Wrightson and Cockrum .. those where fun times...

People doing what they love seem to be happier...

27 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

There are price bumps when characters get a movie or tv series... are there equal price drops when the movie or show sucks (Iron Fist, Defenders, Green Lantern, Birds of Prey ...)?

Glad I got to meet some of my comic heroes.. Byrne, Adams, Wrightson and Cockrum .. those where fun times...

People doing what they love seem to be happier...

I think it depends on the property.  Batman survived many a lump pre-Nolan (e.g., bat nipples) just fine.  Spidey also not dented by dancing Tobey Spidey 3 nor wtf Elektro.  But characters who really spiked thanks to film/netflix/etc. anticipation seem most vulnerable.

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

Sandman, I remember the page we were discussing last year either Ankur J or ESeffinga was the rep I think.

Sure as hell wasn’t me. The only rep I have is for writing too many damn words in my posts, and maybe too little respect for the nostalgia angle and it’s relation to art. Perhaps also for being a *spoon* more than occasionally. 

(shrug)

There is just as much art available for the copper age as the late silver and complete bronze ages. It never made any sense to me that the page values for years were so much less across the board. In the end I feel a lot of 80s pages and covers will be more coveted than 70s and 60s counterparts.

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

There is just as much art available for the copper age as the late silver and complete bronze ages. It never made any sense to me that the page values for years were so much less across the board. In the end I feel a lot of 80s pages and covers will be more coveted than 70s and 60s counterparts.

Younger collectors with lower value books (at first).

If I am older with a better income and have 1m in SA books, its easier for me to raise 50k for a page than if I am younger, making less money, and have a comic collection worth 50k.

Over time this evens out of course.

2 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

In 2002 I bought a brand new base Nissan Sentra for $12,000 cash "all in". Within four years -in Boston, drivers/winters/winter-drivers- I had recovered more than half the purchase price in "damage" payouts from others. Car still ran and passed annual inspection just fine, all cosmetics. After five more years and putting 100k miles on it, I put a few hundred bucks and some sweat equity back in to "clean it up" a bit and sold it on Craigslist for 2,500. I was "good" with that deal, overall :)

A game I like to play when I'm bored is this: what pages would be worth selling every other page I own to acquire. Obviously there are a ton of amazing pieces out there that would fit this criteria (especially with my smallish but personally valuable collection), so the game is more to figure out the pieces just on the cusp of possibility would take liquidating what I have to make a reality: would I get rid of everything I have to get a good Tottleben Swamp Thing? Would I sell the farm to get a Sienkiewicz New Mutants cover? 

The other fun calculation is looking at what you own and thinking if you DID get rid of them which ones you'd be able to reacquire an equivalent of at some point. 

2 hours ago, vodou said:

In 2002 I bought a brand new base Nissan Sentra for $12,000 cash "all in". Within four years -in Boston, drivers/winters/winter-drivers- I had recovered more than half the purchase price in "damage" payouts from others. Car still ran and passed annual inspection just fine, all cosmetics. After five more years and putting 100k miles on it, I put a few hundred bucks and some sweat equity back in to "clean it up" a bit and sold it on Craigslist for 2,500. I was "good" with that deal, overall :)

Funny!  Good for you.  We paid cash for a desireable 2008 Honda Fit, and it got dinged up here and there, but no Carfax.  Then...

My neighbor's wife backed into it in their driveway while we were watching football last fall.

I got an estimate (totaled) and suggested this was why they invented insurance.

I then bought it back, so I got the payout, plus the eventual bargain resale to a teen (great first car for her).

Well worth it, with all parties involved.  David

Edited by aokartman
clarify

4 minutes ago, aokartman said:

Funny!  Good for you.  We paid cash for a desireable 2008 Honda Fit, and it got dinged up here and there, but no Carfax.  Then...

My neighbor's wife backed into it in their driveway while we were watching football last fall.

I got an estimate (totaled) and suggested this was why they invented insurance.

I then bought it back, so I got the payout, plus the eventual bargain resale to a teen (great first car for her).

Well worth it, with all parties involved.  David

Wow... us OAers have had righteous results on the car damage front.  }:-)

6 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

I think things shoot up in price quickly, but it takes a long time for them to come down, even if the movie/show doesn't create a splash.

Increased demand from a movie rumor can create a run and increase prices quickly as people resell and mark them up.  But the decreased demand after the movie flop doesn't force those with inventory to sell at a loss.  So they sit there forever at the inflated prices.  Just like all the 1990's "hot" issues were still for sale at 1993 prices at shops 10 years later, even when no one really wanted them.  

2 minutes ago, BuraddoRun said:

So.............................I just got a Simonson Beta Ray Bill page in today.

OK, OK. Mine is his better half's page (Louise Simonson), and she just wrote it. It was drawn by the wonderful June Brigman. But here it is for your enjoyment.

As for random thoughts, I find myself thinking about OA when I read comics now. I'll pull out a book I just picked up on a Wednesday, like today, and as I'm reading it think, "Ooh, I wonder if this page will be up for sale." Of course, a lot of dealers sell pages before the comic hits the shelves, so that can throw a wrench into things.

2.jpg

This soothes the soul.

Will soak it in a bit before I return to making my "Hit me baby one more time" bumper sticker.